Should I change my oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know this has come up before on bitog but I just can’t decide what I should do. Getting some spring fever so I’m getting my mustang ready for ragtop season. Last oil change was last February or March. But that was also only 1600 miles ago. It was a Dino (havoline HM 5w30 I believe) with a MC FL820s filter. Obviously the car doesn’t get driven a whole lot but I try to take it or, maybe to work a few times a week when it’s nice out. Generally gets driven a bit on the rough side. Oil on the dip stock looks nice, like it is clean still.

As far as I know the big arguement to change the oil is possibly decrease Tbn from sitting all winter with acid and products of combustion. Also some possible water contamination from condensation and the polymerizing of some parafins or other waxes in the base stock. Not too worried about the cost of a change but if there is really no reason to do so then I won’t. If there really is, I will.

Thoughts?

UOA, man.
It's probably fine, but with a UOA you would have some science to confirm or deny that opinion.
I've kept oil in service for long time stretches and low mileage emboldened by UOAs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madeej11
It'll be fine, don't waste good oil.

^^^ That's the most widely accepted popular answer right there.

If you have less than 5000 miles on the oil and you're wanting to drain it, keep it to yourself and forever hold your peace.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: WANG
UOA, man.
It's probably fine, but with a UOA you would have some science to confirm or deny that opinion.
I've kept oil in service for long time stretches and low mileage emboldened by UOAs.
For the cost of a uoa change the oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
For the cost of a uoa change the oil.

But then there's still the slight chance of wasting good oil. You're better off spending the $20 for the UOA so you can save the $10 in oil.

33.gif

It's sub 2k mi, how much degradation can oil go through in that period?
I'm not here asking if I should change my 3 year old oil in the Jeep because that would still be a silly question to ask.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Been in there for a year? I'd change it.

Same here, I don't overthink such things and I wouldn't spend money on a UOA for this oil and usage.

I don’t think oil sitting in the oil pan degrades at all. If you think it does, go get a bucket, pour your used oil in it. Have a UOA done. Leave it the equivalent time as your winter hiatus. Do a UOA. There won’t be a difference.

No UOA needed. Oil with only 1600 miles on it that hasn't even been in the sump a year is fine. All you need to do is
19.gif

Having driven a car for almost 18 months and then UOA'ing, I can confirm TBN is still good.

There's some threads here where users have kept low mileage oil in their engines for 5 years and UOA comes back good.

I've yet to see an extended oil change interval with time being the only factor come back with bad results. It will be fine almost certainly. I mean maybe if you left it under 6 feet of snow for the whole time, maybe that would be an issue. But garaged, no problemo.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
But then there's still the slight chance of wasting good oil. You're better off spending the $20 for the UOA so you can save the $10 in oil.

This about sums it up.

Sounds like other than the uoa crowd (which is just silly in this case) the consensus is to just drive. I can do that!

If you go to the doctor because you think you have cancer what's he going to do? Is he going to guess or is he going to give you a blood test?

I'd skip the $20 UOA. Take a nice 20+ mile highway drive and skip the 1,600 mile oil change as totally wasteful. No since in over thinking this. Ed

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
If you go to the doctor because you think you have cancer what's he going to do? Is he going to guess or is he going to give you a blood test?

LOL what? Although humor I find it to be a rather poor analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back