Black powder pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are black powder pistols worth carrying? Or- are they more trouble to operate, reload and so on...obviously I do not own one, but have a carry permit for my other stuff..

not really more trouble to operate then any other single action revolver. Reloading can be a pain and you have to carry spare cylinders with caps on the nipples if you want to swap cylinders once you used up the cylinder in the revolver. Good luck keeping the caps on the spare cylinders. They are cool to own though.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
What would be the point?

Once you fire at your adversary, even if you miss, he can't see you to shoot back and like a magician the smoke hides your escape!!
lol.gif

Actually i'd like to own a 1851 navy

Here is nice one! Gonna need a real good holster!

Last edited:
What would be the point?

Black Power guns aren't registered with the folks at NICS

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
What would be the point?

Black Power guns aren't registered with the folks at NICS

He has a permit and other choices.

Kind of bulky by accepted standards these days🤭 but it would put a nice hole in somebody if needed. Me, I’ll stick with my Rugsr LCP . Hits as hard as a cap n ball yet weighs as much and is the size of my cell phone.

The powder could absorb the moisture from the air/your body sweat, and cause misfires. I would not carry a black powder pistol. Unless the apocalypse was a few years back, I finally learned how to make my own black powder, and it was the only resort.

You talking about one of those antique style cap and ball pistols, that you load by dumping powder into the cylinder, and ramming a lead ball down?

I can't speak for the OP, but I would assume he's meaning a black powder pistol with more "modern" cartridges, like a Colt M1889 revolver and its contemporaries, using brass cartridges loaded with black powder, as opposed to cap and ball pistols or muzzle loaders.

It is the law in some states that you have a carry permit,,and some not, but I would think it would be best to have a carry permit just in case..

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Why all the hate for black powder concealed carry?
13.gif

It's more a question of reliability. Regardless of what type of black powder ammunition is being used, black powder ammo is nowhere near as reliable as smokeless powder cartridges. Concealed carry means you need equipment that MUST perform. Your life could easily depend on it. So why take a chance using low powered, moisture absorbing, black powder propellant, when you can have totally reliable modern smokeless powder loads with the most modern projectiles? Where is the advantage to any of it? It's the equivalent of building a new home, and heating it with a coal fired boiler.

My inquiry was just for info,,just to use it at the range,,and they look good,,guess its the cowboy in me..lol my other pistols,,just sit in the house,,,locked up.

Don't really why some are so upset,, but in here, Fram oil filters drive some to the edge of insanity,,,figure that one out...
happy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back