Latest Walmart visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped by Walmart. Here is a shot of empty shelves this store keeps. Also, I noticed a disturbed Tough Guard oil filter box and lo and behold, there were six empty boxes that used to contain cartridge filters. Crazy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Walmart loses 3 billion (that's right 3 billion) due to theft each and every year.

"or 1% of its $300 billion in revenue"

Curious to see smaller stores figures.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
-- lo and behold, there were six empty boxes that used to contain cartridge filters. Crazy.

Yep, can't detect the cartridge filters on the way out. People have no integrity these days.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Stealing filters is nuts. Before long they will have plastic cages for the filters just like the ammo and video games.

We've seen it coming....

Last edited:
My nephew bought an Xbox One and 4 games at Christmas at Wal Mart. He got home, unwrapped the games from their plastic containers, which were sealed in plastic, just like they should be, and there were blank DVD's in them. He took them back, and Wal Mart refused to exchange them, even though they acknowledged that this has been a problem. I told him to have his credit card company take care of it, but he's just too mild mannered and ate the loss.

Fast forward, a week ago in Michigan, I stopped and bought my son a Nintendo Switch game. Like an idiot, I forgot about my nephew's deal, and didn't open it at the cash register. No game cartridge. I took it back in and they apologized and quickly exchanged it.

The theft is getting more sophisticated. I'm not sure if it happened at the factory or the distributor, but those games were all wrapped just as they would be from the factory.

It amazes me how dishonest people really are, and the effort they'll expend to steal instead of putting that effort into honest work and earning their way.

And only $13 billion in net profit. Meaning that 1% of revenue would be another 25% in profit.

They operate on some pretty tight margins, just over 4%.

People claim Wal*Mart is evil because they make so much money. There are others who make far more on each dollar of revenue who are not branded as evil.

People just don't understand numbers....

Originally Posted By: Superflan
Walmart loses 3 billion (that's right 3 billion) due to theft each and every year.

"or 1% of its $300 billion in revenue"

Curious to see smaller stores figures.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/05/walmart-theft/

Considering the clientele that visit that place in a regular basis is anybody surprised
crazy.gif

Every time I go in that place I am simply amazed at the mutants lurking about. It’s no wonder they have somebody standing right in front of the door. I ventured into the one in Homestead Florida a few years back. They had the person in the door security in the golf cart in the parking lot and her uniform cop parked right in front of the door .

This is why I always check the packaging before I walk away. It is sad to see that this is happening.

I wanted to buy a bunch of the clearance ST filters and found myself checking each box to see if there was actually a filter in it. I'm sure the guy monitoring the camera was very interested in me at that moment. That is if there really is a camera like the sign says in that isle.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
I wanted to buy a bunch of the clearance ST filters and found myself checking each box to see if there was actually a filter in it. I'm sure the guy monitoring the camera was very interested in me at that moment. That is if there really is a camera like the sign says in that isle.

YES the stores do have advanced cameras everywhere.

However, in my experience, the asset protection / security department spends much more time watching employees than customers.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Employees are the biggest single source of pilferage.

Sad, and very true...

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Employees are the biggest single source of pilferage.

True, but that is all industry as a whole, not necessarily the retail sector. They count office staff taking home a ream of copy paper as theft, and people who use shop supplies or take tools home as theft as well. Retail, as a sector, is actually lower than other industries. Think about it ... if, unlike retail, you don't deal with customers in person, who could the thief be then?

Originally Posted By: Driz

http://fortune.com/2015/06/05/walmart-theft/

Considering the clientele that visit that place in a regular basis is anybody surprised
crazy.gif

Every time I go in that place I am simply amazed at the mutants lurking about. It’s no wonder they have somebody standing right in front of the door. I ventured into the one in Homestead Florida a few years back. They had the person in the door security in the golf cart in the parking lot and her uniform cop parked right in front of the door .

Homestead is a little too close to Gould's and Florida City. Those two places are sources of problems that even the city of Miami itself does not have.

Anytime a boat or jet ski on a trailer is stolen, there is a REALLY good chance it ended up in Florida City or Gould's. Right where the thieves are from.

If you see an empty cruiser out front, and there's an unmarked door right near the entrance, that's where the cops are. I've seen enough Wal-Mart stores that had this door open at one point, where there was at least two cops and a perp sitting in handcuffs.

There's a real bad store down in Cincinnati with huge theft rates. I thought it was said they had the highest theft in the country. a police sub-station is located inside the store. The area is close enough to a bad area and on the bus-line.

Article

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back