WIX 57356XP and FRAM XG7317 Cut Open and Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each of these filters were used on a 2011 Honda CR-Z for 3,500-4,000 miles. The FRAM was removed early in order to change the car's oil cooler setup and the WIX was removed early to make sure any debris from a recent camshaft swap had been collected before this year's track events start. The FRAM saw about 160 miles at Road Atlanta and 260 miles at Barber Motorsports Park, while the WIX only saw six autocross runs.

I'm not here to say that one filter is better than the other, I just thought that it would be interesting to show the different construction techniques used on each filter to achieve the same ultimate goal.

The FRAM has 31 pleats and the WIX has 43.
XXMNvqZ.jpg

Seam side of the WIX.
7X014OY.jpg

Opposite of the seam on the WIX.
qFlCioO.jpg

The WIX has a single layer of fine synthetic media.
6CnqDWW.jpg

The bypass valve on the WIX is built into the top of the filter.
N0tR7lG.jpg

The backing mesh on the WIX is finer than on the FRAM.
9m4i3ay.jpg

Seam side on the FRAM.
js2d27o.jpg

Opposite of the seam on the FRAM.
jIYKjJd.jpg

The FRAM uses two layers of synthetic media, one of which is course and the other fine.
fpxE4RH.jpg

The FRAM uses a gasket material on the top of the filter where the spring is installed.
4SpIzr8.jpg

The FRAM has a completely different center tube design than the WIX.
jvei4V1.jpg

Can't get much different on the base plates either.
HLjUH0v.jpg

u1HBAMH.jpg

DgxnfTZ.jpg

The WIX had some adhesive on the base plate coming loose and starting to enter the filter.
rv2RRw0.jpg

WbJzYod.jpg

The ADBV on the WIX is thinner and more flexible than the one used on the FRAM.
bG1oRC5.jpg

As many of you know, the FRAM has a bypass valve built into the leaf spring while the WIX uses a coil spring and a separate bypass valve.
GGGJ8lQ.jpg

The WIX is slightly smaller than the FRAM.
38UhMwb.jpg

2tNERid.jpg

I'm a Wix fanboy, won't hide that...you can buy any Wix made filter and know it's quality. The FU is a good filter though, it's the rest of the line I find underwhelming.

Good C&P. See any oil pressure difference at near redline between the filters (assuming you have a pressure gauge)?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
See any oil pressure difference at near redline between the filters (assuming you have a pressure gauge)?

Sorry, the car only has gauges for engine oil and CVTF temperature.

In terms of loose fiber ends there is also a pretty clear winner here. Don't know if it is an issue, what's it called, shedding?
laugh.gif

Non fuzzy media next to the center tube is a better setup.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
That spring valve is what kills buying Wix again for me.

You talking about the big coil spring that holds the guts together, or the bypass valve spring?

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Love the side by side, thanks!
And, uhh, use the filters before cutting them
smile.gif

They are used. The Wix would still be white if it wasn't used.

I've used Napa Platinum's for 120k miles on my Honda Accord. I have some older MicroGreen filters I'm using now.

I'll never use a Fram Ultra. EVER. Why? Mostly because of the attitude of the people on here that use them. For some reason, it's sickening.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

I'll never use a Fram Ultra. EVER. Why? Mostly because of the attitude of the people on here that use them. For some reason, it's sickening.

That has got to be one of the lamest reasons I've heard not to use a product. Likewise just as petty as the people you are complaining about lmao.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

That has got to be one of the lamest reasons I've heard not to use a product. Likewise just as petty as the people you are complaining about lmao.

Oh, I know it's lame. But the FU FanBoy antics are second to none...and they require equal ridiculousness.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Oh, I know it's lame. But the FU FanBoy antics are second to none...and they require equal ridiculousness.

Join the TG dark side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back