Finding fuel to oil leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 Equinox 2.4l is scheduled to go to the dealer in the morning for excessive fuel in the oil.
2.3% in 3,200 miles.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4679593/Re:_UOA:_2011_Equinox_2.4l_-_f#Post4679593

It has a high pressure fuel pump which is the likely culprit.

My question is, does anybody here know how likely they will find the problem?
I'm getting quezzey about getting stuck with a $119 per hour diagnostic fee and $30 car rental for nothing.
I won't have to pay anything if they find something wrong.
This dealer did an engine rebuild less than a year ago and warranties their work plus I have a purchased extended warranty too.

How easy/difficult is it to find the leak?

Thank you in advance :)

If I know dealers they will get the diagnostic time and throw a pump at it and hope for the best.
You probably wont be charged but I would bet its a 50/50 if its actually repaired.
It may take a couple of visits for them to hose the warranty for a few bucks. Seriously, that's the game.

I hope they help you but they may say “you had an UO What done? Your car runs fine. Take a hike.” I doubt they guarantee your UOA excess fuel to be less than 2%. They’re more used to dealing with a piston that blew through the side of the block. I could be wrong. If they help you they are one great shop. Back to my popcorn.

35.gif

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I never get to talk with an actual mechanic. Just the service rep who has no clue.
I told him i did a leak down test and the numbers were about 95, 96, 89, and 98. (Chalk 89 up to not getting tdc). His reply was "um, I'm not sure what the specs are for your car."
33.gif

He then asked if I had a check engine light.... I...just...can't...anymore...
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
If I know dealers they will get the diagnostic time and throw a pump at it and hope for the best.
You probably wont be charged but I would bet its a 50/50 if its actually repaired.
It may take a couple of visits for them to hose the warranty for a few bucks. Seriously, that's the game.

There are mechanics and there are parts changers...I hope you get a good wrench. I certainly agree with the 50/50.

Smoky

2011 Equinox and Terrain with the 2.4 engine were prone to a few major problems. Engine oil consumption and fuel in the oil were two of the concerns. Here is a link to some of the concerns and solutions on an Equinox forum.

I am sure your dealer has seen the problem before and will take care of it. My brother had purchased a new 2011 2.4 Equinox and because of the fuel in the oil and the timing chain problems, GM bought the vehicle back under a lemon law.

Equinox 2.4 Fuel In Oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Pull yr injectors to check for leaks, then suspect rings.

Per leakdown test, rings should be good.
Injectors are located under the intake manifold and an AC lines runs through the intake manifold...

Originally Posted By: ls973800
2011 Equinox and Terrain with the 2.4 engine were prone to a few major problems. Engine oil consumption and fuel in the oil were two of the concerns. Here is a link to some of the concerns and solutions on an Equinox forum.

I am sure your dealer has seen the problem before and will take care of it. My brother had purchased a new 2011 2.4 Equinox and because of the fuel in the oil and the timing chain problems, GM bought the vehicle back under a lemon law.

Equinox 2.4 Fuel In Oil

Thanks for the tip, bit I am very aware of these issues. See link in my original post. :)

No need for that just look at the fuel trims.

Fuel tim looks really good...after I replaced the MAF sensor a month or so ago.
thumbsup2.gif

So they have the car. Will update when I know anything.

I also gained a little respect for the service rep this morning and some insite on something I always suspected. He said something like, "I'm not a wrench and I usually find it is better if I don't know alot about how to work on the cars."

At least he admits it. Lol.
However, that may be the main problem at these dealer's service departments. We don't really get to talk to the guy who is working on the car.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian

thumbsup2.gif

It might be normal for this engine in cold weather depending on how fat the run it cold, I see a lot of engines have a strong fuel odor in the oil in the winter. Lot of short trips in the cold weather?

So they have the car. Will update when I know anything.

I also gained a little respect for the service rep this morning and some insite on something I always suspected. He said something like, "I'm not a wrench and I usually find it is better if I don't know alot about how to work on the cars."

At least he admits it. Lol.
However, that may be the main problem at these dealer's service departments. We don't really get to talk to the guy who is working on the car.
They're just glorified salesmen-as long as they sound knowledgeable, look halfway normal, and don't have dirt in their fingernails-THEY'RE IN! Personally, I don't think most service advisers know which end of a screwdriver to hold, and my local Ford dealers are the worst!

thumbsup2.gif

It might be normal for this engine in cold weather depending on how fat the run it cold, I see a lot of engines have a strong fuel odor in the oil in the winter. Lot of short trips in the cold weather?

Thought about that. We had some long runs of very cold weather in January. But I have a 20 - 25 minute drive to work and back mostly highway, and its in an attached garage at night. Also, no moisture in the oil which probably was burned off...so I assume the "little" fuel should have been burned off too?
If 2.3% fuel showed up from oil not getting to temp, should tgere have been some water in it too?
Or does water have a lower boil point...have to check.

Last edited:
Talked with the rep. Mechanic found nothing wrong. no access oil and no fuel smell...
Told him to look at the mileage on the car. 1,000 miles since oil change. Probably won't smell anything.
Did he take the fuel pump off to check the seals. Rep was quiet and then "yes he did" but he didn't sound too confident about it.
We did get some service dates straightened out. He thought the fuel pump was changed out via the recall last December. I said no, that was the condenser that was changed. Fuel pump was changed Nov, 2016 per recall. July of 2017, his service department did the engine overhaul which requires the removal of the high pressure fuel pump and replacing the O ring.

He was going to have the shop foreman take a look at it and call me back. That may not happen till tomorrow morning....

Will keep you posted...
36.gif

I'd have a UOA done by a lab other than Blackstone. They don't have the proper equipment to accurately measure the fuel percentage in oil. Esp before the vehicle is opened up like a can of worms.

Well, I shouldn't have bothered to take it down.
Although both the foreman and service manager got involved. Concluded that they should have smelled the fuel by now.
Told me to keep an eye on it... Lol
Yep, change my oil every 3k and wait it out till I dump it.

Suggestions on who is more accurate with the fuel %?
I taljed to blackstone. They say there test gets it within about .125%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back