1997 Chevy cavalier 2.2 auto maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

The Pontiac vibe I had was totalled and am now getting a 97 cavalier automatic. It's rough with 143,000 on the odometer. New oil and stp filter. I detest automatic transmissions but need a car so. Anything to look for on this vehicle? No drain plug on the radiator and I can't find the atf plug. Thanks. Hope to get some money saved as the sister didn't take care of it.

Frame rust over the rear axle. I'd come up with more but "USA" is too general a location.

The 3t40 tranny in these is actually pretty good. Change its fluid and filter, adjust the TV cable, and you're mint.
19.gif

Rather solid little cars. EGR Valve tends to freeze up at high mileage/age, and you get a code. They're not cheap about $150-$200, but they are right on top and easy to replace.

Unfortunately, Dorman does not make an aftermarket pan with a drain plug for the 3-speed auto.

Now, if you had the 4-speed auto 4T40E, then you could get a Dorman pan for it.

Maintenance?! It's a 2.2 cavalier! As long as it isn't rotten underneath (check the subframe and steering rack mounts CLOSELY), then you're pretty much good to go. Either a 3t40 or 4t40 will be bulletproof (the 2200 doesn't make enough power to hurt a fly), and the 2200 is almost impossible to kill. Just change the major fluids and call it good.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Maintenance?! It's a 2.2 cavalier! As long as it isn't rotten underneath (check the subframe and steering rack mounts CLOSELY), then you're pretty much good to go. Either a 3t40 or 4t40 will be bulletproof (the 2200 doesn't make enough power to hurt a fly), and the 2200 is almost impossible to kill. Just change the major fluids and call it good.

If it is a 4T40E, The shift solenoids sit above the fluid level & can burn up causing the trans to miss 2 gears. This can make owners think the trans is bad when it just needs shift solenoids & a internal harness.

These things run forever with about zero maintenance. Keep oil, coolant and ATF in it and there isn't much you can do to kill it. The weakness is if you get the engine remotely warm, you'll kill the headgasket. Even if you do that, it's a 2 hour job. Buy a 6 pack and start drinking when you start, you'll have 5 left over when you finish!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
These things run forever with about zero maintenance. Keep oil, coolant and ATF in it and there isn't much you can do to kill it. The weakness is if you get the engine remotely warm, you'll kill the headgasket. Even if you do that, it's a 2 hour job. Buy a 6 pack and start drinking when you start, you'll have 5 left over when you finish!

This!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: dishdude

This!

Might have 5 left over if I started with a 12 pack lol.

We had 3 different versions of these cars when my kids were young. Whether it's a Pontiac Sunturd or a Chevy Cavalier (Caval-ee-AY) it is an incredibly durable car. Parts can practically be found on the side of the road, driving dynamics are very poor, noises are unsophisticated.

But IME they run nearly forever and are very cheep to keep...

Most of the people in this thread are right, but I don't miss mine. I had to put so much money and work into it in the one year I owned it I was glad to see it go. Late 90s GM nickle and diming at it's finest (worst?)

Sometimes a rattling noise will be caused by a failing timing chain and chain hardware. Good thing this is an OHV engine, SOHC and DOHC engines usually require more labor time to do the job.

I had a 99 purchased new.Base 2 door. It had the 2.2 and 4 speed auto [which at that time included traction control]. You'll also have ABS which was standard till 2000 or so.

No problems with mine until it was destroyed in a rearender.

I had one recall for a chafing hose. It liked brakes every 25,000 miles [and so did my 86 Olds Calais and it wasn't my driving either].

Other than that, I serviced it by the book [and more] in the 50,000 miles I had it.

I loved that thing and would still be driving it had it not been murdered in the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back