Very lucky motorcyclist escapes semi truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had all sorts of ideas of what to name this thread. But ultimately, it defies description.

All sorts of speculation in the comments.

What I can see is that he wasn't passing traffic at a massive speed differential, only slightly faster than the other traffic that was visible, and the bike starts a tankslapper. What caused it? A botched wheelie?, I didn't see him set a wheelie down. Road debris?, A flat tire?, a bike that is just prone to tankslapping?

I know that a Kawi ZX-12 I had was prone to tankslapping at the slightest provocation.

Anyway, the rider is incredibly lucky to be alive..

Would have been better if the video had a bit more time in the beginning before the tank slapper ever started. Could have been caused by something in the road ... hard to say. Looks like maybe an FZ09 ??

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Would have been better if the video had a bit more time in the beginning before the tank slapper ever started. Could have been caused by something in the road ... hard to say. Looks like maybe an FZ09 ??

I think (not positive) it's a Z1000.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
He was being stupid. Why else would the speedometer be blurred out?

I don't know him. I don't know his reasons.

What I can say, is that he wasn't flying past other traffic like they were standing still. On a Motorcycle, it is in your best interest to continually move through traffic. Then you are not just sitting in some texting, cellphone talking, eating, shaving, reading, zoned-out driver's blind spot. Even the Motor Officers I know advocate that.

What I can see is that the bike is stable as the video starts, then quickly goes into a tankslapper. I've had greasy tar snakes, and a rapidly deflating punctured tire do that to me before, I just happened to stay upright.

Originally Posted By: WANG
I almost have to believe that was some post wheelie footage. Wild stuff, regardless.

^ x2! There’s a reason the video doesn’t show the lead up to the tank slapping.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I almost have to believe that was some post wheelie footage. Wild stuff, regardless.

Exactly!

That was incredible.
I've had some front end shake on a couple of bikes due to high speeds (100+mph), but I was always able to stabilize it by slowing down.
I wonder if this was triggered by a pothole or a tire blowout.

Yeah, don't think he was going crazy over the speed limit, but probably blurred out his speedo anyway.

Listening to the engine RPM however, I'm wondering if he was doing a rolling rear tire smoke show ... engine seems to still be at high revs even after it starts the wild shimmy. He decided to start the video at the point it starts for some reason.

The kid was lucky. I saw a woman that was smooshed by a semi truc. kBoth rear axles on the trailor got her.It was a suicide . It was a selfish move to scar the truck driver for life. Her head and torso were smashed flat to bloody red spot on the interstate and her legs were all that would identify her as a person. Gross and actually and sad.

Methinks that rider needs to start going to whatever holy house he is affiliated and give LOTS of thanks to whichever diety he believes in. Something, or someone, was watching over him..

.. but first, I'd wager he'll need to change his shorts.

Looks like the kid panicked and kept giving the bike throttle when he should have decelerated to stop the head shaking. Lucky to be alive.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: gman2304

Exactly!

Yes, and coincidentally he had a video camera locked and loaded. We'll never know the whole story. He's one lucky guy, that much I can say.

Looks to me like he got a dose of high speed wobble.. I only ever had a little bit of that once and I wasn’t even going more than 70 or acting stupid but it served to make my crotch part of the seat needless to say. Wow. Of course it looks like he didn’t back off on it which is the smart way to get out of one of those gently and carefully like a skidding car. That goes double when you’re next to something big and dangerous.
Am I correct that it looks like he went completely under that truck and out the other side? On e lucky guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back