Mopar M349 2k miles on Factory Fill 18 Jeep JL 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the factory fill on my 2018 JL Wrangler yesterday. Here's the Mopar OEM filter, looking as it should. I'm not sure why Mopar has the twisties in the media. The Fram Ultra Guard with which I replaced it has nice, straight, uniform pleats. Even the base Fram has straight pleats. Anyway, I'm sure it did its job just fine.
pJEo1Ew.jpg

Originally Posted By: Buzzinhalfdozen
Every filter in the Cherokee when I change oil has come out like that. Even the fram ultra. I've come to accept it as normal.

Yeah, but the Mopar's pleats look contorted like that before they go in. I've looked at three of them. When I get to the 5k oil change, I'll post a pic of the Ultra Guard for comparison.

Originally Posted By: montero1
K&N are my go-to for cartridge filters. Never wavy.

http://a.co/j3ORF0j

I looked at one of those at Wal Mart and it looked really nicely made. Any info on that for filtration performance?

Years back, they were 10 microns. I love them because on my old Mini Cooper and my Z4, I ran them 10k and they stayed straight, unlike any other paper filter I used.

I've used the Mopar versions, Purolator versions, Fram versions, and now Wix/NAPA versions all in my 3.6. The Mopars end up always being wavy. I feel like they are 1-2mm too tall which crunches them once you screw the oil cap in. The Purolators were fine and look identical to the Mopars and are sometimes wavy too. I didn't like the Fram's only because they're tough to remove from the cap and half of the time the spring in the cap pops out with them which is a total PITA. Otherwise the Fram construction looks like Hengst and is really solid which I prefer. The Wix filters are never wavy, fit great, and I've yet to find any pleat separation that some have previously seen. And the price is generally $2-2.50 cheaper than the Mopars. I'm using up my stash of Wixs currently and probably will re-purchase them or the Frams. Never tried the K&Ns.

I'd blame the short trips and moisture on the wavy media. How long did it run at the factory? It was probably turned on for a few minutes to load it onto and off of a truck. Ohio/ Indiana is cold this time of year etc.

The Mopars are wavy before they ever go into an engine. I looked at several of them at Wal Mart, and they were all that way.

That's what my first OC looked like mopar filter 2015 Durango, The second with K & N all straight 9K on each one. I have a K&N in it again and an ultra in the wings. We will see but as of now K&N wins

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
The Mopars are wavy before they ever go into an engine. I looked at several of them at Wal Mart, and they were all that way.

I never experienced this with my '14 on the six OCI's I completed. Every single MO-349 I purchased from WM or the dealer was straight as an arrow before installation. Interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back