sound bar problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3 month old Samsung smart T.V.
With a 3 month old Samsung sound bar.
I have the sound bar hooked up with an optical cable.
I sync the sound bar to the T.V and it works fine for a day,couple days and then
it reverts back to the internal speakers and I have to re sync it.
And no there is no way to turn off the T.V. speakers,they mute when it senses the sound bar.
Any thoughts?

You can't go into the settings for the TV and choose the SPDIF output as the audio output default, rather than synching it?

I go into the T.V. sound setting and select the sound bar and then click on connect.
the sound bar shows DIN for the optical cable.

OK, but what protocol is it using to see the soundbar, bluetooth? Is the only cable connecting the two together the Toslink cable?

My Samsung is older than yours, but I have the following settings:

I have it connected to my receiver via HDMI, which is why it is presently on receiver, but when I was using optical out, I selected "External Speaker".

I got a LG SH2 sound bar for Christmas. It has performed flawlessly so far with the optical cable.

I have a 2 year old Samsung TV and Samsung Sound Bar connected by Bluetooth and I've never had a problem but I would think the toss line would be more stable than Bluetooth

I have a 42 inch dynex best buy house brand tv. I turn the sound to zero then used a toslink to control the sound without any issues.

I tried to hook up the sound bar with an HDMI cable but I could not get it to work.
I followed the directions that came with sound bar very closely several times and it would not connect.

The built in speakers are really good.This is a 2017 model Samsung. MU6300.
If I didn't have a sound bar when i bought this T.V. I would not have gotten one.
After further research this morning it seems that Samsung T.V.s are known for not being able to connect via HDMI or its erratic at best.
I may just stay with optical,although it does lose the optical connection as well.
Check this out
us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tv/thread-id/10414/page/4

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marine65
The built in speakers are really good.This is a 2017 model Samsung. MU6300.
If I didn't have a sound bar when i bought this T.V. I would not have gotten one.
After further research this morning it seems that Samsung T.V.s are known for not being able to connect via HDMI or its erratic at best.
I may just stay with optical,although it does lose the optical connection as well.
Check this out
us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tv/thread-id/10414/page/4

Did you see the pic I posted of the options from my TV? How do yours compare?

Yes i have the speaker selection option its just different.
i can select my sound bar to play thru optical and it works just fine,for a day maybe a week then it reverts back to internal speakers.

Yes i have the speaker selection option its just different.
i can select my sound bar to play thru optical and it works just fine,for a day maybe a week then it reverts back to internal speakers.

Any way you can post a pic of the options you are presented? Once Toslink is selected it should just "work", there's no further handshaking, it's just a digital output that it basically blindly streams data from.

I cant post pictures.

Really? You using a phone or tablet? The 5th icon from the left in the post box is the one for uploading them to the site, FYI, in case you were unaware.

What source are you using.. some soundbars will do passthrough hdmi for the sound.. of course this doesnt work if you have 3 or 4 sources.

If you have an antique hdmi cable it can cause issues as well.
(using ARC type hookup)

Toslink should just work. that seems odd..

FWIW: I googled and it seems like sometimes samsung tv can be flaky with toslink connection.

I would concentrate on using a different connection type.. such as passthrough hdmi or hdmi ARC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back