MOPAR 04892339AA Factor Installed TORN [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's 2017 Jeep Renegade finally got to 3K miles last week and decided to do an oil/filter change on the factory fill. Removed the factory installed Purolator made MOPAR 04892339AA oil filter and found the media torn or what really looks like a bad crimp on the two halves. Either way, Purolator cannot even get the OEM filters right. I am totally done with Purolator and their junk. That company really needs to get their head out of their rear end.

20180227_163258.jpg

20180227_163328.jpg

20180227_163242.jpg

20180227_163737.jpg

20180227_164415.jpg

20180227_164423.jpg

Ouch. "Factory Installed" ... maybe Jeep would like to know about it. This failure looks like the seam wasn't sealed up right, not a media tear failure.

Thanks for c&p sir

Purolator quality SUCKS!! Im taking back the P1 i bought for a friends toyota now. Purolatoe is a royal joke and charlie foxtrot!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Ouch. "Factory Installed" ... maybe Jeep would like to know about it. This failure looks like the seam wasn't sealed up right, not a media tear failure.

Yeah, I am leaning on a improper crimp here also. I will call my dealership service adviser tomorrow that I am tight with and see what he says. Not expecting much as I am sure the Catch 22 of me opening it first will play into deniability or taking responsibility.

All manufacturers can have assembly mistakes once in awhile. Move along, nothing more to see here. Or something to that effect. FC should see this and cancel the contract with M&H. It isn't enough to be friends from Europe.

my question is which factory installs the oil filter?
is it the engine plant? (in this case either Dundee Mi, Trenton Mi, or Saltillo Mex)
or the assembly plant (Melfi, Italy)

if it's the Assembly Plant, one would think they would source a european made filter, instead of shipping them across the Atlantic. granted they are already shipping the engines to Italy and back...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
my question is which factory installs the oil filter?
is it the engine plant? (in this case either Dundee Mi, Trenton Mi, or Saltillo Mex)
or the assembly plant (Melfi, Italy)

if it's the Assembly Plant, one would think they would source a european made filter, instead of shipping them across the Atlantic. granted they are already shipping the engines to Italy and back...

I'd put money on it being the engine plant.

Every engine build video I've ever seen shows the filter on the engine, and every OEM engine I've gotten from the dealer has had a filter pre-installed as well.

Can't believe they are still letting this happen. Here's to hoping Wix quality doesn't start going downhill.

What would make them fix the issue? I do not recall them ever admitting anything. The change in a paint job was coincidental.

Where is the tearing, only see a pleat not crimped into the connector. It looks strictly a one off assembly defect to me. Same bad QC like has been seen on some other brands lately.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
...Yeah, I am leaning on a improper crimp here also.....

That's what it looks like to me. Assembly line error, not classic tear with use. There's a much viewed youtube of another brand with a similar defect.

Agree, wouldn't expect much from the dealer on this.

What does who installed it have to do with anything? It seems fair to say Wix and Champ Labs have the best QC of USA makers. Champ has mainly the louver issue, at least it can be seen. Baldwin, Fram, Purolator have pretty frequent major manufacturing glitches it seems. Filters cut here are only a tiny sample of the full production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back