Status
Not open for further replies.
In the market for a 9mm and was leaning toward the Glock 19

Was reminded of the Ruger Security 9 and how affordable they are

I’m going to the range this week and hope they have one I can rent

Anyone have one? Experience with it? All reviews I’ve seen are very positive

Thank you

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
When you go to the range, see if they have an S&W M&P 2.0 to rent. Try it, you might be surprised.

I certainly will but the Security 9 price point is tough to ignore... less than $300.

I've never had an issue with a Ruger I've purchased, new or used. The Security 9 shoots well to point of aim. If I was in the market for a 9 it would rank high on my list due to the brand and the price. It will not be the prettiest at the dance, but she won't sit out a dance the whole night!

Issues with guns off the beaten path in my experience, getting gear and magazines. Everybody makes holsters for the majors. Mags are cheap as well. Get something too newly released or not a huge seller then be prepared for holster hunting and about 25% upcharge on mag sales. For instance, I have a Sig P239 and mags run anywhere between 34.99 and 39.99. Glock mags are 24.99 and less all day long. (usually closer to $20 or under)

The Security is a pistol meant to be carried a lot and shot little. Ruger has made the statement that if you want to shoot a lot of +P, go with their duty pistol, the American.
I am not knocking it. Just be aware of this.

So true.... excellent point and something I’ve been looking at. Not much out there for this firearm - yet

the mags are just south of $40

The safety is also raising a lot of eyebrows but that issue doesn’t/won’t bother me a bit. The fact that the mags are proprietary for this particular firearm is a pain but with a slight mod, easily rectifiable. Still have to ask, Why?

Ruger is aiming straight at Glock with the Security 9.I have not shot one yet but my friend just got one, put 200 rounds through it and is selling his Glock 19. I think your plan to rent and shoot one is a smart one. I'm getting one after I get the PC9.

Ive owned hundreds of guns and have been in the gun game for a long time. Let me offer some practical advice.

1) NEVER buy a brand new to market gun. They always find kinks and make engineering changes. That gun is new to market. I'd wait a year or two before seriously considering it.
2) What do you want the gun for? Home defense? Conceal carry (hahahahahaha, you live in New Jersey. That was a joke)
3) Don't buy the cheapest thing you can find. Trying to save money. Put it on the credit card if you have to. An average $500 gun is honestly 4 times better than your average $300 gun. So you saved $200. Your probably going to need a gun for the rest of your life, no? How many years left do you have to live? 40 years? $200 dollars divided by 40 years is $5 a year. Adjust your budget. Stop eating out. Make it happen.
4) Assuming you will use it for home defense only (living in NJ), then completely forget about compact or subcompact pistols. You want a full size, duty pistol size gun. Why? Because they are typically more accurate, easier to shoot, have faster follow up shots, and are less likely to jam.
5) I'm not a big fan of any of the Ruger semi-autos. They are ok. But they are not top of the class.
6) I'd honestly look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0. Or the Glock 17. Or the Glock 19X. Or the Sig P226. Or the Beretta 92FS/92G. Or the Walther P99. Or the HK VP9.
7) I'd also honestly consider a .45ACP handgun (reason below)

Bonus info:
I lived in Jersey for a short time. I did a lot of research on hollow points. Yes, almost everyone agrees they are legal to use in the home for home defense. BUT, I casually asked around family, friends, and coworkers when I lived there, and the vast majority of them thought they were illegal. These are the same people that will be sitting on a jury. The same people that would easily be swayed by a prosecutor. "The defendant couldn't just kill the intruder. He HAD to use the most deadly, cop killing exploding bullets he could find." As it relates to self defense in Jersey, YOU HAVE TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT LOCAL politics, local fallacies, local juries, and the most anti-gun prosecutors you could ever hope to never find.

The hollow point issue would hold no water where I live in Florida. It wouldn't even be an issue. Or pretty much anywhere else in the country, but I honestly believe its a problem in Jersey. I would not advocate the use of hollow points for self defense in New Jersey. Heck there is at least 20 "is it legal to use HP ammo in NJ" questions on gun boards every year. This is a continuing clue.

If I lived back in Jersey, my bedside handgun would be a Glock 21 .45ACP, loaded with 13 rounds of .45 FMJ. My primary home defense gun would be a HUNTING appearance shotgun. Like a camo Remington 870. Nothing black and tactical. And nothing loaded with super deadly cop killer exploding hollow point bullets.

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
And nothing loaded with super deadly cop killer exploding hollow point bullets.

Just my opinion.

That's always been in my mind when thinking about buffalo bore ammo. A lawyer explaining how i went out of my way to buy super powerful ammo that the regular gun stores don't stock.

I want the Security 9 for a vehicle gun but my LGS sold out already. Have not seen any real negatives about it, and I just want it for a vehicle anyway.

I think the "carried a lot and shot a little" statement is an exaggeration of Ruger's statement. They say not to shoot a LOT of +P in it. Many 9's can't take +P at all.

I am with bubba to some degree on newest, latest, greatest stuff, but this is a Ruger not a Sig. Not concerned.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I want the Security 9 for a vehicle gun but my LGS sold out already. Have not seen any real negatives about it, and I just want it for a vehicle anyway.

I think the "carried a lot and shot a little" statement is an exaggeration of Ruger's statement. They say not to shoot a LOT of +P in it. Many 9's can't take +P at all.

I am with bubba to some degree on newest, latest, greatest stuff, but this is a Ruger not a Sig. Not concerned.

Sure it was an exaggeration, to make a point. Ruger essentially said this is not a duty type weapon. You can define that any way you want.
In six months someone's going to post that they shot 10,000 rounds through their Security and the striker broke, or something else. Then they are going to say it is a piece of ---- because of it.
It isn't a duty weapon. So the less it is shot the longer it will last. I have Kahrs I carry. If I shoot 1000 rounds a month through them, how long should I expect them to last? They are not a duty weapon.
Manufacturers have pistols that go through extensive durability testing, that they want sell to the military and police departments. The American is one of them.
There is a reason the Ruger Security costs less than the American.

Last edited:
Excellent excellent feedback

Yup... NJ and the ‘ol hollow point discussion. You raise a very good point thought about the jury. Never ever considered that and I can’t wear orange

Point taken - don’t cheap out

Curious about the shotgun color: camo vs....?

Why is that?

Originally Posted By: Finz
Excellent excellent feedback

Yup... NJ and the ‘ol hollow point discussion. You raise a very good point thought about the jury. Never ever considered that and I can’t wear orange

Point taken - don’t cheap out

Why is that?

Appearance and intent as perceived by a jury and or prosecutor.

Originally Posted By: Finz

Why is that?

To anti-gun juries and prosecutors, you don't want to appear as a gun fanatic. Just a regular guy, who owns guns because he likes hunting. These people are generally supportive of hunters and having the right to own guns for hunting purposes. Many of them think owning a gun strictly for home defense or defensive uses is "insane". Because you know, you are 30 times more likely to get killed with your own gun blah blah blah that they like to spew. Say you shot an intruder with your camo Remington 870. It would be much harder for an anti-gun prosecutor to spin that in the negative. "Hunter uses bird shotgun to defend home against burglar"

I keep an AR15 next to my bed, full tactical kit, with 30 rounds loaded. Why? Its the best home defense gun you can buy. I live in a pro gun state. My county is pro gun. My local prosecutor is pro gun. The local police here are pro gun. I would NOT advocate using an AR15 where the climate is different.

Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back