My credit union is blocking RockAuto transactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to make a purchase at RockAuto this morning, but could not get payment to go through. RockAuto was providing a message to me that my credit union was denying the transaction.

A few moments later, I got an automated call from the CU's fraud department, asking if I'd tried to make a purchase there. Yes, it was me, and indicated that it was OK.

I tried again 15 minutes later. Still being denied.

I called the CU about this. I was told that they've placed a block on all RockAuto transactions due to a sudden increase in fraudulent transactions. If I wanted to make a purchase from them, I'd have to request a temporary removal of the block, and then I'd have a certain amount of time to complete the transaction.

Nice.

Anyone else seeing issues like this with RockAuto? Sounds like it might be a good time to keep a close eye on your bank statements if you've purchased from them lately.

I have a couple of co-branded cards (Sam's Club/Lowes Hardware) by Synchrony Bank. To say this bank is paranoid about "unauthorized transactions" is an understatement. I never use the Lowes Card- and the ONLY reason I keep the Sam's Club Card is because of attractive rebates on certain categories. If not for this I would drop the card in a second.

It sounds like you need to talk to the branch manager at the credit union-as I would find this restriction unacceptable. If they refuse to budge-find another card/credit union (I have others as well) that are not as paranoid.

Last edited:
I have never had any issues with RA and my CCs being wrecked. I know RA has extra checks on their system for CCs so maybe it happened in the past and some banks/Credit Unions still have them marked as questionable?

E-mail RA to see what they say. [email protected]

I had same trouble with Discover using RockAuto. I had to open a email from Discover and verify that I was making a purchase. Then punch in a security code into RockAuto checkout page to complete transaction.

I had that happen a little over a year ago with Chase bank. Rock Auto’s built in system was declined. But Rock Auto also allows PayPal and that went through.

Chase declined transactions 6 times for me in the year 2016 thinking I was making fraudulent purchases. I dropped them and went to a credit union. Been happy ever since.

No problems with Chase Sapphire Reserve and RockAuto purchases. I have a fairly consistent spending pattern for auto related purchases (both online and retail), so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I believe I had a call from the CU Fraud dept when I bought brake rotors and pads from them about a year ago.

I use Paypal when I purchase from Rockauto.com , never have had an issue.
I use a credit union as well.

Originally Posted By: CKN
It sounds like you need to talk to the branch manager at the credit union-as I would find this restriction unacceptable. If they refuse to budge-find another card/credit union (I have others as well) that are not as paranoid.

Considering that late last year, this same credit union blocked around $900 worth of fraud, before it was charged to me, I don't think I'll be giving them a hard time about this.

I'm betting they see a pattern that they simply don't like, and don't want any part of.

IT would seem that if the card holder has already verified that they are conducting business with RA then the credit union could whitelist them for that user thus avoiding this.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: CKN

Considering that late last year, this same credit union blocked around $900 worth of fraud, before it was charged to me, I don't think I'll be giving them a hard time about this.

I'm betting they see a pattern that they simply don't like, and don't want any part of.

If it's a credit card in question-you wouldn't have been responsible for the $900.00 anyway. I had the same thing happen on a (fraudulent) $500.00 purchase (that went through) and told them it wasn't mine. They have a way of cross checking phone numbers and what have you in "dispute cases".

My TCF bank card was hacked awhile back and TCF seemed to know from my buying history that it wasn't me and denied the charges.
I then was issued a new card.
I shop at Walmart quite often with rather small purchases.
A couple weeks ago I made a rather large combined purchase at Walmart and after running my card and getting an approval i was no farther then 20 feet from the register when i got a call from TCF wanting me to verify the purchase.
I appreciated the concern for my card security.

I got burned: someone made a $500 purchase from RA on my credit card. normally it's easy to clear this up. not so much - the credit card company initially declined my claim because "I have purchased from RA in the past". RA could not give me information on the order because I did not have an order number; nor would it show up on my online account. grrrr!!!!! Eventually the credit card company reimbursed. but this was ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I got burned: someone made a $500 purchase from RA on my credit card. normally it's easy to clear this up. not so much - the credit card company initially declined my claim because "I have purchased from RA in the past". RA could not give me information on the order because I did not have an order number; nor would it show up on my online account. grrrr!!!!! Eventually the credit card company reimbursed. but this was ridiculous.

What bank is your card from?

3 weeks ago i gave a check for $1,000. to best buy . it was block by telecheck. WHY? cause i have never used them before. WHAT? 2 mo earlier i had money grams system shut down. and WM would NOT give my money back. even thou WM s name is on the recite. my advice ONLY use your bank. thats what ill always do.

Originally Posted By: red7404
3 weeks ago i gave a check for $1,000. to best buy . it was block by telecheck. WHY? cause i have never used them before. WHAT? 2 mo earlier i had money grams system shut down. and WM would NOT give my money back. even thou WM s name is on the recite. my advice ONLY use your bank. thats what ill always do.

The above provides perfect reasoning to use a credit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back