Why isn't Pennzoil Ultra Platinum SN Plus ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
On Pennzoil's website they list Platinum as being SN Plus ready but not Ultra, why not? If Ultra Platinum is better than Platinum, shouldn't it be SN Plus ready too?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Maybe it's next.

It should have been first. It just adds to the confusion of old when it was first introduced and people didn't know which was better, Ultra or Platinum.

If the situation is as stated by Pennzoil below then I'm assuming they'd add it to the label May 2018 if Ultra meets D1G2. I'd guess that the decision is more based on the differences in the two products and not which one is better.

Does Pennzoil offer any motor oils that meet API SN PLUS?

Testing has confirmed that Pennzoil dexos1™ Gen 2 formulations are API SN PLUS-ready and we expect to claim API SN PLUS for them on first allowable use date.

Does Pennzoil intend to offer motor oils labeled as API SN PLUS?

Yes, our products that meet the dexos1™ Gen 2 specification will be API SN PLUS licensed on the first allowable use date, and we will add the new API Donut designation to our product labels in May 2018.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Maybe it's next.

It should have been first. It just adds to the confusion of old when it was first introduced and people didn't know which was better, Ultra or Platinum.

I agree with ya!
smile.gif

I just don't know the answer and anything I'd say would just be guessing!

Last edited:
I noticed it when checking out the site because I have decided to switch my Honda over to one of their oils. Looking at 5w20 Platinum vs 5w20 Ultra Platinum, it's hard to see what benefit I would get from Ultra if I'm only going to be doing 6k intervals. If anything, on paper it looks like Platinum is the better choice since Ultra isn't SN plus ready yet. That's what's confusing. I probably won't be able to find Ultra anyways, it's listed as not in stock at the Niagara Falls, NY Walmart that I frequent. All of this brings memories back as to why I stopped using Ultra many years ago, it was too hard to find on a regular basis.

PUP is still not showing up on the master list of dexos1 Gen 2 oils.
I'm not sure if this means that SOPUS is not really committed to PUP, they wanted to keep one of their lines as an "old school" formulation if d1G2/SN+ ended up having issues, or...????

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Still only one 0W30 on the list...M1 AFE. I know Amsoil 0W30 SS is supposed to pass the d1G2 LSPI tests.

I wish Pennzoil would get their act together with PU. Gena, what's going on???????

[Linked Image]

Upon ordering a few jugs of PUP 5w30 on Amazon, 3 jugs have been SN and 1 jug is SN Plus (right)...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

November mfg. date SN, December mfg. date SN Plus

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patman
On Pennzoil's website they list Platinum as being SN Plus ready but not Ultra, why not? If Ultra Platinum is better than Platinum, shouldn't it be SN Plus ready too?

I can't imagine Pennzoil sells a lot of Ultra...

Yes PUP is SN plus now. I imagine it's just as good as any other syn on the market. Not sure why it's not got Dexos on it. I imagine it has nothing to do with not being able to make spec. That said, I would not go out of my way to look for it over PP, M1, Castrol, ect

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by Patman

I can't imagine Pennzoil sells a lot of Ultra...

I agree. It's hard to find, it's more expensive and for some reason labeling takes a backseat to the Pennzoil Platinum. It's as if they want to sell more Platinum. Then again after watching Mobil 1 fail with their Annual Protection oil (low sales), they might think it's not worth pushing the Pennzoil Ultra.

Originally Posted by Ngamtns
Yes PUP is SN plus now. I imagine it's just as good as any other syn on the market. Not sure why it's not got Dexos on it. I imagine it has nothing to do with not being able to make spec. That said, I would not go out of my way to look for it over PP, M1, Castrol, ect

Dexos is a tougher spec than Fords or FCAs.
In regards to my GDI, if the jug doesn't say both SN Plus and Dexos1 Gen2, I don't buy it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Ngamtns

Dexos is a tougher spec than Fords or FCAs.
In regards to my GDI, if the jug doesn't say both SN Plus and Dexos1 Gen2, I don't buy it.

Once again you make a decision not based on any hard data but on marketing. It's nothing short of amazing. PUP meets both D1G2 and ACEA spec's certs.

What, no arguments that it's not certified because they don't want to pay for the cert, or that it's more robust than the cert allows? Such double standards! 🤷â€â™€ï¸

I have no clue why SOPUS doesn't do dexos1 on PUP, but it doesn't matter to me. Every engine I currently own is technically good to run oils all the way back to API SJ/SL, so I have run and will continue to run PUP in all my vehicles.

In all reality though, without sharing trade secrets, I still think motor and transmission oil companies could be more open about what's in their oil and why they chose specific components. Especially as we see oils become more and more engine-specific certified, sharing additional info would help to create a clear "tier" format and in ways, justify higher pricing for premium product.

Like (example only, not factual):
Pennzoil Gold: syn blend, meets minimum standards for dexos1
Pennzoil Platinum: GTL+ base, trinuclear moly for friction reduction and improved mileage, boron for improved cleaning, exceeds dexos1 specs for wear and cleanliness by 50%
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum: GTL+ base, POE to ensure long life for seals, AN for extreme temperature protection, less than 2% VII for exceptional shear resistance, exceeds all dexos1 requirements for wear and cleanliness by 100%

But obviously the oil companies don't think like me.
lol.gif

I originally posted this thread in the beginning of 2018 and since then I did end up switching my Honda over to Ultra. I figure why not, it was only a couple of bucks more than Platinum and might just keep the engine that tiny bit cleaner inside. That's something a lot of people tend to not factor in when deciding to choose one oil over another. Two oils might provide identical protection in terms of wear, but one might keep the engine cleaner inside and in the long run that's very important too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back