Anyone used Sta-Lube Gl-4 oil from NAPA before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to dump the trans fluid in the MR2 this weekend in addition to doing the front ball joints.

Anyone used the NAPA Sta-Lube Gl4 gear oil before? https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SLRSL24239

I ordered a gallon and I'm going to use it. This transmission has yellow metals and all over the forums you can find people saying to avoid the GL5 fluids for this reason and because they degrade the shift quality.

I know everyone is going to say to use MT90 or MTL or Lightweight Shockproof (Smurfs Blood) and while I have used all of these before, I'm doing something different this time.

This GL4 fluid should be fine for my use (a manual trans that specs basically everything from GL3 to GL5/MT1 and even came factory filled with ATF in 1990-1992) but I have not seen anyone use it in a transmission aside from a few Miata people who say it shifts great.

Anyone used this before, specifically in a transmission, not differential.

I have used it before. Its a little thicker than some 75w90 syn fluids but worked well in the Toyota I put it in. Customer said it shifted fine and that was even during winter.

You are near me so you should be fine, temp wise, as well using it.

Have been using Sta-Lube products since the 1970's. Never had a bad experience. It's not Redline Shockproof or MTL, but it's usually good stuff
smile.gif

Worked fine for me in a '60s GM Muncie 4-speed. I used Brad-Penn GL4 80W-90 last time though, and it seems to shift a little smoother when cold (Barely - not a significant difference).

Quote:
Gear Oil Application Multi-Purpose, Wide Temperature Range, Also For Industrial Drives, Worm & Hypoid Gear Sets

It doesn't have the correct viscosity nor the proper additive package for a Manual Transmission.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Gear Oil Application Multi-Purpose, Wide Temperature Range, Also For Industrial Drives, Worm & Hypoid Gear Sets

It doesn't have the correct viscosity nor the proper additive package for a Manual Transmission.

It works fine in manual transmissions that call for GL-3/4

APPLICATIONS:
Auto, truck and bus standard transmissions and differentials requiring API/GL-3 and GL-4 oils

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/api-gl-4-multi-purpose-gear-oil-1-gal-SL24239.html

My manual trans calls for GL3 or GL4. [censored], it even came factory filled with ATF for 2 model years. I'm sure it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: novadude
Worked fine for me in a '60s GM Muncie 4-speed. I used Brad-Penn GL4 80W-90 last time though, and it seems to shift a little smoother when cold (Barely - not a significant difference).

I use this exact product (Sta-Lube GL4) in the Muncie 4-speed transmission in my GTO. I have been told to stay away from GL5 products due to the presence of yellow metals in the Muncie.

As far as shift quality, I think it works OK, but I have not used anything else. I have been very tempted to try something like Amsoil MTG, which is supposed to meet GL4 specs. However, I haven't got around to it.

Quite frankly, the car sees about 500-1000 miles of pretty gentle use per year, so I figure the Sta-Lube should suffice?

Last edited:
Napa carries a manual transmission-appropriate 75w90 Liqui Moly GL4 (part number 20012), and if your store doesn't have it in stock, they can order it with no problems. Ask for part number AIC LM20012

Avoiding GL5 in gear trains with yellow metals is a myth.Period.
There is no such thing as 'correct' FM for a manual trans.
There is also no such thing as 'correct' viscosity (grade) for a manual trans gear oil.
This 85W90 Sta-lube is possibly VII-free and offers high MOFT and components protection.
Would loved to be referenced, that long term use of this oil results in gear whines (never mind there isn't any breakage)
.... either in a manual trans or diff.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Avoiding GL5 in gear trains with yellow metals is a myth.Period.
There is no such thing as 'correct' FM for a manual trans.
There is also no such thing as 'correct' viscosity (grade) for a manual trans gear oil.

This 85W90 Sta-lube is possibly VII-free and offers high MOFT and components protection.
Would loved to be referenced, that long term use of this oil results in gear whines (never mind there isn't any breakage)
.... either in a manual trans or diff.

Your statements are incorrect and highly misleading.

1) for every MT there is a viscosity specification that is based on the HP rating and gear type,

2) the friction modification chemistry for a dedicated MTF insures proper synchro engagement.

Now you are guessing with nothing to back up your wild imagination.

Manual Transmissions and their Lubricants

Originally Posted By: OP
This GL4 fluid should be fine for my use (a manual trans that specs basically everything from GL3 to GL5/MT1 and even came factory filled with ATF in 1990-1992)

What transmission? If it came filled with ATF then you need an MTF with a viscosity around 7.0 cSt@100C.

And, I seriously doubt the tranny is speced for an MT1 type rated fluid if it came FF with an ATF. An 80W90 has a viscosity of approx. 15 cSt@100C.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Last edited:

Now you are guessing with nothing to back up your wild imagination.

Manual Transmissions and their Lubricants

It's about presence or absence of VII.
A typical 85W90 : yes, I know this is not Sta-Lube 85W90

Your link is irrelevant about VII or VI.

...Your link is irrelevant about VII or VI.

My link will educate you if you only read and study it.

...Your link is irrelevant about VII or VI.

My link will educate you if you only read and study it.

It IS irrelevant here.

OP is about Sta-Lube 85W90 in MR2 ... and user experience.
..and my post is about 85W90 being possibly VII-free, offering higher MOFT ...

OP, thousand apologies.

I have it in my old manual gearbox now. I have had no problems. It is a good GL-4 product if that's what is specified for your application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
My manual trans calls for GL3 or GL4. [censored], it even came factory filled with ATF for 2 model years. I'm sure it will be fine.

Well, keep convincing yourself of this but the viscosity is way higher than the factory filled ATF (2.5X), so I doubt your shifting will be stellar, especially in cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back