gdi and conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
do all gdi engines require synthetic oils?
I use mobil 1 5/20 in both my 2.4 motors but am thinking of changing
to conventional because the oil change reminder will say
change at 5000 miles or six months
and I only have about 2000 on the vehicles seems like a waste of oil
I don" mind spending the money for syn but don't like to waste it either.
at times I use synpower too.

Do you "have" to observe the light? How hard is it to reset it?

I mean, I ignore the TPMS light in my cars on a regular basis (have done so too with CEL's even). If I know better...

Are you motors "known" for oil dilution?

Also, and primarily, what does your owner's manual state as to the OCIs? That is the bible when it comes to warranty issues. Your dealer may have programmed the indicator for a shorter interval to get you in the shop more often and that can be changed. So, what does your manual state?

You can set the reminder to 12 months/7500 miles (easy to do using multifunction menu). That's what's in your Owners Manual as normal service. To answer your question more directly, the manual recommends using SM/GF-4 "or above". I think you're fine using conventional oil for 4-5k mile changes.

Just one consideration- Castrol GTX Ultraclean is a syn blend (as are other conventional oils), and it's GTX 10W30 comes with a 10% Noack.

Great taste in vehicles btw
wink.gif

The dealer set the reminder to 5,000mi/6mo.

Very easy to reset yourself, read the manual.

Normal interval for your Hyundais is 7,500mi/12mo. Severe service interval is 3,750mi/6mo. Synthetic is not required.

However, I would recommend using an Hyundai OEM oil filter.

I am using 4,000mi/4mo intervals using Mobil 1 for my GDI, because of potential oil dilution issues.

In my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL (6 cylinder) the manual calls for conventional oil. It's a GDI motor.

The dealer gives 3 oil changes with a safety check for $99.00. They use Valvoline.

I'm not crawling under the car for that price.

Last edited:
You can set the maintenance reminder to whatever you want in the menu. I use 5w30 in mine since the owner’s manual allows it.

I would use synthetic along with potentially going one viscosity grade higher - both of which have lower volatility. Since DI engines don't have the natural cleaning effect that port fuel injection engines do, reducing oil evaporation is important - Therefore reducing the amount of oil sucked up by the PVC and subsequently deposited on the intake valves.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Great taste in vehicles btw
wink.gif

I'll have to agree! lol,

No synthetic is not required, her Santa Fe will be on Dealer provided Cam2 syn-blend until 100k when their oil change club runs out.

My Sonata after this oil change will be on Castrol Syntec since I got it on sale off Amazon for a while. Both 5w30.

Originally Posted By: ernied
do all gdi engines require synthetic oils?
I use mobil 1 5/20 in both my 2.4 motors but am thinking of changing
to conventional because the oil change reminder will say
change at 5000 miles or six months
and I only have about 2000 on the vehicles seems like a waste of oil
I don" mind spending the money for syn but don't like to waste it either.
at times I use synpower too.

Ignore the OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back