I am new to canister filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions/facts/suggestions appreciated.

I'm thinking about doing 10k intervals, but am ignorant to the relative quality of the canister filters available. This is my first vehicle with a canister, and Fram Ultra is not available for it. So-

Wix looks to be good quality but their website suggests a maximum suggested interval of 7500 miles. I've just bought some Amsoil filters which should be solid and go 15k, as I'd like to try an extended interval (with UOA and their oil, also just purchased). However if their oil keeps going up in price I can't see the value of being a Preferred Customer for only their oil filters.

Maybe I'm looking at going with Wix, a known quantity, and an inexpensive off-the-shelf synthetic for 7500. (Egads I hate WM though)

What says the brain trust? I'll appreciate any experiences with various filters, especially in Toyotas.

My son runs the OEM canister filter in his 328i for 15k miles with no issues. The car has over 115k on it.

I run 10k OCI's in both of my Toyotas with canister filters and have always used Fram Extra Guards. Now I'm sure that some will say that the Fram EG isn't good enough, but I've never had one come out looking damaged or worn out in any way. I just posted a Blackstone report for my Sienna and no problems were noted. My opinion only, and your mileage may vary.

Filter as in metal can "spin-on" = canister.

Bare element that goes into a cavity inside the engine = cartridge.

I've taken a Toyota filter to 8100 and two Hastings filters to 9800 in a Pontiac Vibe 1.8. I know this isn't scientific, but none of them gave me any cause for concern by the way they looked on removal.

I also used Wix, Fram, and Beck-Arnley filters for shorter OCIs, and they all came out fine, too. All of these were "regular" filters, not marketed as anything out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Opinions/facts/suggestions appreciated.

I'm thinking about doing 10k intervals, but am ignorant to the relative quality of the canister filters available. This is my first vehicle with a canister, and Fram Ultra is not available for it. So-

Wix looks to be good quality but their website suggests a maximum suggested interval of 7500 miles. I've just bought some Amsoil filters which should be solid and go 15k, as I'd like to try an extended interval

You could order a bunch of filters from Amsoil when they have the free shipping sale, and then drop membership.
Mobil filter is similar to the Amsoil. And the only other GUARANTEED extended life filter.
Fram has a Toughguard for your engine. Not sure what the max miles for it are.
Mann also has a filter for your engine. They make the highest quality cartridge filter, IMHO. The ones for my old MBs are amazingly well built.

That should give you some options online/local.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Filter as in metal can "spin-on" = canister.

Bare element that goes into a cavity inside the engine = cartridge.

Thanks for the correction...see, I AM new to cartridge filters!

Cartridge yeah cartridge is what I meant
04.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher
What vehicle?

The 2015 4runner in your signature has a cartridge filter, and has a TG option (TG10158), which is designed for 10k intervals.

Yes the 4Runner is the one I'm talking about; thanks for the rcommendation I'll have a look at the TG.
Appreciate that

I buy my Toyota filters online by the box, 10 in a box. Been a couple of years but IIRC it was $40 shipped for ten, for each of my vehicles. OEM filters.

Not familiar with your 4.0 but on my 2.5 & 4.6 cartridges I don't do Toyota's pre-drain thing. I just remove the entire housing, as if it were a regular filter. I've toyed with gluing the drain plug in place so I could just use the 3/8 extension as the removal tool; no extra socket required.

Originally Posted By: supton
I buy my Toyota filters online by the box, 10 in a box. Been a couple of years but IIRC it was $40 shipped for ten, for each of my vehicles. OEM filters.

Not familiar with your 4.0 but on my 2.5 & 4.6 cartridges I don't do Toyota's pre-drain thing. I just remove the entire housing, as if it were a regular filter. I've toyed with gluing the drain plug in place so I could just use the 3/8 extension as the removal tool; no extra socket required.

If you buy over a specific dollar amount , online , from Walmart , I think you can get free shipping to your door ?

I can live with Walmart . I get my prescriptions at their pharmacy . There automotive department has a pretty convenient side entrance , so I do not have to go through the whole store to get to automotive .

I was just comparing prices on Fram EG PH3387a for our Buick . Walmart is a little cheaper than RockAuto.com & I do not have to mess with ordering + freight . Of course , locally I have to pay sales tax .

I personally am more comfortable with a short OCI .

Best of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back