Recommend an oil/weight for Lawn Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014, 22 H.P. Briggs & Stratton V-twin, using a WIX oil filter running a 42" cutting deck.

High dust, high heat, six hours mowing at a time every 3 weeks or so.

What brand/weight of oil would you guys recommend?

Oh, and anyone know a link to the specs from Briggs & Stratton? I searched high and low and couldn't find any.

Use a longer filter.
The OEM filter is around two inches long
A Fram 3614 (Wix 51348) is three and a half inches long, and holds four more ounces of oil...
A Fram 3600 (Wix 51516) is five, and holds eight more....

Originally Posted By: expat
Rotella or Delvac 15w-40

X2, plus in a dusty setting I would be more concerned with the air filtration than the oil weight. Add a prefilter if it doesn't have one and clean often. These Briggs engines will run forever on most any oil.

For oil, Shell Rotella T6, in 5W-40.

The new CK formula has less additives than the old CJ spec,
so I would put in 2-4 ounces (quarter to half cup) Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30.

This has double the normal levels of additives...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Racing-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W30-1-Quart/55502854

A cheaper alternative would be Rotella T5, in 10W-30,
but that should be changed at 50 hours,
verses yearly (100-200 hours) for the T6...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think when I hit 60 year old I stopped worrying as much.

Ain't that the truth!

At that age, just about any new machines will likely outlast us, so why worry?

I know guys in their 60s who've actually gotten worse. Serious OCD issues at that age can really compromise one's enjoyment of life.

Life's too short for that nonsense and the older we get, the more valuable our time. No sense getting wound up about stuff.

Rotella, Delo or Delvac 15W-40
Currently running Rotella 15W-40 in a single cyl 18hp Briggs with a MC FL-910S filter .
Been in there two years. Runs great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
2014, 22 H.P. Briggs & Stratton V-twin, High dust, high heat, six hours mowing at a time every 3 weeks or so.

Briggs recently added the 15W50 recommendation for EXACTLY what you describe. Most folks run an engine for 30-40 minutes, so a 30 or 40 weight would be OK for them as the oil is still heating up for that short duration. And just so you are aware, Briggs recommended synthetic 5W30 for like 10 years straight. They never recommended 15W50, until about 18 months ago. Why? Because people were blowing up their engines and Briggs had to warranty them. They changed their recommendations, and correctly, added the 15W50 weight to the manual.

Running that engine for 6 hours straight at a time is going to really heat up the oil. I would run 20W50 in it (if you are cheap) or Mobil 1 15W50 if you are willing to spend a bit more on oil.

Don't be scared of the 50 weight. Its exactly what you need. Trust me on this.

Oil_rec_chart.jpg

From Briggs:
Small Engine Oil Type Recommendations:

-Use SAE 30 in warmer temperatures of 40° F and higher (5° C and higher).
-Use SAE 10W-30 for a varying temperature range of 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C), this grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher.
-A synthetic oil SAE 5W-30 is the best for very cold temperatures of -20 to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.
-Use SAE 5W-30 for very cold temperatures of 40° F and below (5° C and below).
-For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from 20°F to 130°F).

Things to keep in mind when choosing lawn mower oil:

-Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher.
-Do not use special additives.
-Synthetic oils are an acceptable oil at all temperatures. Use of synthetic oil does not alter required oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
2014, 22 H.P. Briggs & Stratton V-twin, High dust, high heat, six hours mowing at a time every 3 weeks or so.

Briggs recently added the 15W50 recommendation for EXACTLY what you describe. Most folks run an engine for 30-40 minutes, so a 30 or 40 weight would be OK for them as the oil is still heating up for that short duration. And just so you are aware, Briggs recommended synthetic 5W30 for like 10 years straight. They never recommended 15W50, until about 18 months ago. Why? Because people were blowing up their engines and Briggs had to warranty them. They changed their recommendations, and correctly, added the 15W50 weight to the manual.

Running that engine for 6 hours straight at a time is going to really heat up the oil. I would run 20W50 in it (if you are cheap) or Mobil 1 15W50 if you are willing to spend a bit more on oil.

Don't be scared of the 50 weight. Its exactly what you need. Trust me on this.

Oil_rec_chart.jpg

From Briggs:
Small Engine Oil Type Recommendations:

-Use SAE 30 in warmer temperatures of 40° F and higher (5° C and higher).
-Use SAE 10W-30 for a varying temperature range of 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C), this grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher.
-A synthetic oil SAE 5W-30 is the best for very cold temperatures of -20 to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.
-Use SAE 5W-30 for very cold temperatures of 40° F and below (5° C and below).
-For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from 20°F to 130°F).

Things to keep in mind when choosing lawn mower oil:

-Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher.
-Do not use special additives.
-Synthetic oils are an acceptable oil at all temperatures. Use of synthetic oil does not alter required oil change intervals.

You said "people were blowing up their engines". We would like some info about that.

I have the 24hp b&s motor in a craftsman and i run 5w30 penziol platinum just like my pichkup. I screw on a motorcraft Fl400s filter and i get well over the 100 hour change limit with clean honey colored oil. Zero consumption even though it smokes on startup for a few seconds.

6 years old and starts everytime with no issues. Old gas and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back