Linux-Windows equivalent......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a "device and printers" section in Linux? or a defrag or a download section,etc etc? What is a repository? I insert flash drive and UUI comes up. What does that stand for? Where do i go to transfer something that I downloaded onto a flash drive? Thanks

Go to lower left. Click on Menu. Type printers into search. You will see it on top. Now installing printers may require some extra guidance.

No defrag needed.

For Files look in lower left Folder icon. Click on it. It will show folders and you will see drive to left if it is mounted. Usually when I download things it goes into the Download folder unless I specify. I usually copy and paste from there to the flash drive.

There may be other ways to do things.

For my personal experience, when installing my printer, my preference has always been to plug it in, but don't let it get captured right away, but seek it after that, and do the install from there. That's worked well with my HP.

As MONKEYMAN notes, moving files around is fairly basic, much the same as with Windows, with drag and drop, copy and paste, that sort of thing. In Mint, for instance, you hit the bottom left menu, as indicated for printers, and you can bring up Computer, Home Folder, and that sort of thing.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
What distribution? Not every Linux is the same... (GNOME 2 for the win, though!)

I think he just installed Mint.

Printers have been the most difficult hurdle for me. I have a Canon MF4700n. Canon does provide a Linux driver, but to make it work properly needed to go into Terminal and input some things following instructions found online. Until I found the proper instructions online I was stuck.

My Epson Workforce WF-2420 I could figure out with trial and error. Epson's driver from website made it easy to install.

Regarding defrag not needed in Linux and since I use solid state drives would not be recommended if I used Windows. I killed my first solid state drive defragging it too much.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As MONKEYMAN notes, moving files around is fairly basic, much the same as with Windows, with drag and drop, copy and paste, that sort of thing. In Mint, for instance, you hit the bottom left menu, as indicated for printers, and you can bring up Computer, Home Folder, and that sort of thing.

OP, one important thing about Linux files.
They are case sensitive.
You can have:
-file.txt
-FILE.txt
-File.txt
-fiLe.TXT

So be consistent when naming files for the times when you will use them on a Windows system.
Also the Office equiv is Openoffice or Libreoffice.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
What distribution? Not every Linux is the same... (GNOME 2 for the win, though!)

I think he just installed Mint.

Printers have been the most difficult hurdle for me. I have a Canon MF4700n. Canon does provide a Linux driver, but to make it work properly needed to go into Terminal and input some things following instructions found online. Until I found the proper instructions online I was stuck.

I just installed Linux Mint last week. I have a Canon MG5400 series printer. It's wireless. Mint picked it up just fine and it worked flawlessly.

I'm running RHEL and Fedora and have HP Officejet and Samsung laser all in one. Both picked by cups and work wirelessly or wired.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Is there a "device and printers" section in Linux? or a defrag or a download section,etc etc? What is a repository? I insert flash drive and UUI comes up. What does that stand for? Where do i go to transfer something that I downloaded onto a flash drive? Thanks

There are many Linux OS's. ALL desktop-oriented ones will have a simple way to set up a printer. Look in the menu for Administration, Settings, Preferences, etc.

No defragmentation necessary in non-Windows filesystems.

Downloads is a folder, all right. Use your file manager and there'll be a Downloads folder, just like in Windows.

A repository is where software is available for you to install. There are several repositories available by default and you can add more from other providers. For example, Mint uses Ubuntu's repositories but also has one with their own software. Most of all of the software you'll ever need is immediately and freely available in these "repos" but you can also add others from vendors and other providers. When you open your software manager, it is getting al lof its information from these repositories.

You can transfer files exactly the same way you do in Windows, using the file manager just like in Windows. You can see you devices and external drives and drag drop. Inserting a USB drive will make it appear in the side bar of your file manager just like in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back