Back pain related to poor shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a while I notice that the heal of my feet seem to sink down into my shoe inserts and lose their cushion. For whatever reason this wreaks havoc on my lower back and hips. Anyone else have this problem? I bought some new inserts and immediately noticed a difference.

I think of shoes like I do tires, pay for quality
smile.gif

Its a good thought to always use "good" cushion inserts even in good boots, I have them in all my boots. I have a lot of boots! Your feet will hurt if you don't.

Are you standing weird? The balls of your feet are better suited for absorbing weight, as evidenced by how we run and how native tribal people squat down (the balls of their feet and their toes take the weight, the heel stays raised up).

Your heels shouldn't really take on so much force that you notice yourself sinking into that portion of the sole.

At the time when I was working 6 14 hour days a week for a few years, my back was pretty in tune with my footware. On my feet 98% of the time, stomping tile covered concrete I went through a pair in under 9 months. (Unboxed and thrown away at work) Nothing made my back happy other than New Balance 624. Never had luck with inserts.

I've had good luck with Asics brand tennis shoes. Keep in mind I'm on my feet all day walking, kneeling etc. My only complaint is lack of cushion.

Running shoes usually wear out after 300 to 500 miles. Even if the outside tread is still intact the inside cushioning could be shot. Every time some body part starts to ache, I just get a new pair of shoes. Most runners end up getting new shoes every 3 to 6 months. Probably the same for regular shoes too. How old are the ones that you have?

I have high arches. Needed to get professionally made inserts. I would get pain after wearing shoes for months. Now I wear out soles with no pain.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I've had good luck with Asics brand tennis shoes. Keep in mind I'm on my feet all day walking, kneeling etc. My only complaint is lack of cushion.

SkechersShapeUps.jpg

banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I have high arches. Needed to get professionally made inserts. I would get pain after wearing shoes for months. Now I wear out soles with no pain.

Have you tried PedAlign inserts? They're excellent. Made in SanDiego.

Yep, poor shoes can cause back, foot, knee and hip pain. It took me years to figure out what shoe/boot worked best for me. Everyone is different so, it may take some experimentation on your part. After all the years of trying different types of shoes/boots, I settled on a 6” lace up boot with a heel. Brands: Timberland Pro, Redwing, Chippewa and Thorogood. The first thing I do with the new boots is put in a pair of Spenco Cross Trainer or Hiker insoles.

I have super skinny feet with really high arches, so I need to use aftermarket insoles in any shoes that get worn regularly. The giant rubber galoshes that only come out when I have to move 2+' of snow and the zip up boots I only wear for skiing are OK with whatever they came with.
Unfortunately, the super cheap bright yellow insoles with no brand name that fit my feet perfectly have disappeared from stores, so I've been recycling old ones while looking for suitable replacements.
I have been a fan of Nikes since I was a boy, but once tried a pair of Sauconys because they were made in the US (at least at that time). I wore sneakers to work back then and noticed after a while that my legs and back were tighter and more prone to cramping...after I went back to Nikes, the weird little issues went away. Had a similar issue with a cheap pair of Nike trail runners that had glued insoles that I couldn't replace easily, those got retired after maybe a month or so.

Absolutely. I purchased a pair of Birkenstocks thinking they would be the best thing since sliced bread. Boy was I wrong. My Nike AirMaxes have all been far more comfortable. My current pair has a Dr. Scholl's insert, and they are the most comfortable yet.

Sneakers and particularly running shoes are made for "smallish" men, shoe designer/owner to go with the Brooks Beast as it was made for men that are larger than average. Over several years I can tell you that the Beast not only is more comfortable but also helped with my back issues and they last a lot longer! They are pricey at $130USD but they are worth it. YOu can find them at ****'ssporting goods, and Academy.

Wrong shoes will definitely mess with your back/hips. This is one area, even for my cheap arsche, I don't skimp on. You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back