lawn boy tecumseh to briggs swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 1994 silver series lawn boy . it has a 4 cycle 5.5 hp tecumseh engine in it. after all these years the engine died. the body and drive is still in good shape.

my neighbor has a mower with a briggs 6 hp engine on it. the drive is shot, but the engine runs.

so i am wondering if i can swap that engine into the lawn boy. anyone do a tecumseh to briggs swap? do they use the same bolt pattern?

That's why God invented the 3/8 drill
grin2.gif

The HF Predator engine can be bought for even cheaper if you use a 20% off coupon.

I installed one on an old Craftsman 22" push mower and it fit right on. Started on the 1st pull too, every time.

They guy asked if he could swap the engines not where to get a new one.

If the holes aren't there drill them. It will work with a little work.

It's probably the same mounting bolt pattern. The bigger question is the shaft size.

I have had a lot of trouble with the mounting bolts being stuck in the engine and breaking off trying to remove old Briggs engines. Also blade adapters rusted onto the shaft.

It will bolt right on. The shafts have to be the same length, otherwise you will never find the proper adapter to get the blade in the right spot. If the shafts are not the same size, forget it.

Shaft diameter is either 7/8 or 25mm. Length of shaft is usually 3 5/8, but not always.

Getting the rusted blade adapter off can be impossible.

It might be easier/cheaper to rebuild the drive components on your neighbors mower. Or buy a used mower off Craigslist.

And almost every one of those engines posted above by a well intentioned poster would not even come close to working.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It will bolt right on. The shafts have to be the same length, otherwise you will never find the proper adapter to get the blade in the right spot. If the shafts are not the same size, forget it.

Shaft diameter is either 7/8 or 25mm. Length of shaft is usually 3 5/8, but not always.

Getting the rusted blade adapter off can be impossible.

It might be easier/cheaper to rebuild the drive components on your neighbors mower. Or buy a used mower off Craigslist.

And almost every one of those engines posted above by a well intentioned poster would not even come close to working.

it actually died at the end of the summer last year. i was able to to find a 2000 toro super recycler for $60 that i will use this year. i really just want to do this as a fun project. i am hoping that i can use the engine and if possible the pulleys from the other mower to work the drive on the LB. i don't plan to throw too much money at it . if it does work i might give to someone in need .

these offset wheel Lawn boys seem to have a collector following .

Last edited:
Briggs engine will fit the deck just make sure that shaft isn't to long or you got to shim the engine with round washers. You will also have to use a universal 21'' blade.

update:

took both mower apart today. the briggs fit the tec bolts holes perfect. the blade adapter was too long and the pulley diameter too large. suprisingly the adapter came right off. the shaft seems like a standard shaft

i look up adapter as the one on there was about 1" too long. they cost about $25. i figure i would need a new belt also to adapt to larger pulley. probably about $40 in parts . seeing i can sometimes pick up a used mower for a little bit more it does not make sense to throw money are it.

i was hoping this thing would go together without spending any cash. looking more clearly at the bottom of both mower there is a lot of rust. i have decided to scrap both mowers but keep the briggs engine as a spare for my super recycler . my pressure washer also look like the same engine but not sure if its the same shaft specs.

it was a interesting learning experience. thanks for all the help and advice

You may find a lot of difference in the shafts on the extra Briggs and the Super Recycler's engine. Maybe sell on Craigslist. I have two or three Briggs and Stratton engines from Toros, laying around waiting for a blown up Toro to show up on my driveway. Shafts are too big around for much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back