MC FL-500

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the latest on the Motorcraft FL-500 any issues or good to go? I change my 2013 5.0 Mustang oil and filter once a year about 5,000 miles.

If you have a choice, there are better filters for a few bucks more.

But if you want to buy a Motorcraft filter then you'll probably be OK.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
What is the latest on the Motorcraft FL-500 any issues or good to go? I change my 2013 5.0 Mustang oil and filter once a year about 5,000 miles.

If it were my Mustang I would not hesitate to use a MC oil filter on the engine. The reason you see a WIX in my signature is that RockAuto.com had it on sale/clearance for only $3.14.
My choice in oil filters are;
1) MC
2) FRAM ULTRA
3) WIX
4) Purolator
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

There have been a few failures posted here (includinf mine), but there seem to be fewer than other MC filters. It’s a common filter so one hopes we have a decent sample size, but hard to know for sure. Personally, the FL-500 on my truck now will be my last MC filter. Although my UOA with the failed filter didn’t show any obvious issues, I see no reason to pay money for a problem filter.

camprunner- Onug sums this up very well. My issue was with MotorCraft FL-820S. However, I have seen other MC part numbers with tears. The frequency this happens is less for the smaller diameter filters. I do not care to take the risk when other filters do not tear.

At less than $6.00 each for FRAM XG10575 filters online and considering that you are in the cold part of the country (which has been a factor in the tearing), I would look at one of those for your Mustang and sleep easy.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
At less than $6.00 each for FRAM XG10575 filters online and considering that you are in the cold part of the country (which has been a factor in the tearing), I would look at one of those for your Mustang and sleep easy.

x2

Good luck.

I bought a case of Napa Gold 7502 a few years back from Fleet Filter and still have 5 or 6 of those left. I've had good UOAs with them and haven't seen much negative wise here or elsewhere.

I'm another who is done with MC FL-500s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back