Most PEA means best fuel cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading around for the best fuel system cleaner and isn't the best fuel system cleaner basically the one with the most PEA? Seems like 3M or Gumout has the most. Or is techron/redlime the best because of the certain blend

Thanks

What I have seen with fuel injector cleaner is high PEA thickens my oil. It has happened several times. So I dont use it. A lot of people love it though.

Generally yes but for varnish issues in carbs commonly found on small engines Chemtool is far more effective. Both work better when used as a preventative rather than a cure.

its not that big a deal which has the "most PEA"

If you think more is better just use the 20oz bottle in 12 gallons of gas instead of the 12oz bottle.

As long as you use major name brand good products.. and not the diluted versions.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
What I have seen with fuel injector cleaner is high PEA thickens my oil. It has happened several times. So I dont use it. A lot of people love it though.
Heh Heh The stuff you're running can stand a little thickening. I'm pretty sure Regane helped clean something out in my wife's '86 5283 once mebbe 15 yrs ago. I used to run a bottle through the cars once a yr. I stopped due to not noticing any difference. BMW EFI was very robust and I always buy gas from high volume stations Occasional Italian tuneups kept the pistons and valves clean enough. I keep a can of B 12 Chemtool on hand for the OPE carbs and MMO for the fun of it

You could micro dose with Gumout Regane or Redline Si-1 and still reap benefits. Once I used it to clean full throttle and bottle after should last a long time. Got 142000 miles on a 15 Civic I bought in 2016 and we see no deposits when we take it down. Throttle body is sprayed with CRC GDi cleaner every 75k and use only ethanol free fuel or 93 E10 mixed with 87 Pure in Leavenworth,KS. Only run 93 at 50 percent to keep octane up when racing around.

I have used Redlime
grin.gif
in the past, but now I have stocked up enough on Gumout Regame
grin.gif
at about half price and I use it for preventative maintenance just before oil changes on our vehicles. On a vehicle that has had no fuel system cleaner in a long while, sometimes I dump in 2 bottles for a quick cleanup.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Especially if you are only buying Top Tier fuels...

then you don't need the extra bottles of injector cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Rand

If you think more is better just use the 20oz bottle in 12 gallons of gas instead of the 12oz bottle.

As long as you use major name brand good products.. and not the diluted versions.

Agree. Follow the instructions and you'll be using the right amount.

There is no need to use double the dosage because PEA has a maximum effectiveness level and double dosage is beyond that.

If you use two bottles, best to use them in back to back tanks not in a single tank.

What specifically are you trying to clean? Carbon deposits? Or just keep the pumps, lines, and injectors free flowing?

Originally Posted By: Marco620
You could micro dose with Gumout Regane or Redline Si-1 and still reap benefits. Once I used it to clean full throttle and bottle after should last a long time. Got 142000 miles on a 15 Civic I bought in 2016 and we see no deposits when we take it down. Throttle body is sprayed with CRC GDi cleaner every 75k and use only ethanol free fuel or 93 E10 mixed with 87 Pure in Leavenworth,KS. Only run 93 at 50 percent to keep octane up when racing around.

I run Redline approx 2oz to 15gal of fuel, the injectors are nice and clean with good flow and spray pattern after now more than 50K on previously cleaned injectors, they required no addition service and STFT still hover around zero. Pretty good stuff I would say.
On another car that has only ever seen top tier since new and no additives I am curious to see how they are but with only 5K on the clock its going to take some years.

Just use the fuel injector cleaner right before an oil change then and problem solved.

Originally Posted By: deven

Just use the fuel injector cleaner right before an oil change then and problem solved.

Its probably vehicle, driving, oil and fuel dependent. If the product thickens the oil greatly, its definitely not good for the oil at all. It has been the only time my oil went this way so I just will not use it. Sure it will clean my engine but it kills my oil which I really dont ever want to do.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a "thickening" of the oil effect. Is there a known mechanism caused by PEA that results in this? And how was the oil determined to be thicker?

I'm asking since I added PEA cleaner to my fuel, but am only 2k kms into my OCI.

. Several cleaners advise you to change your oil after running the cleaner through due to possible contamination of oil from cleaners in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: mcwilly
I'm curious if anyone else has had a "thickening" of the oil effect. Is there a known mechanism caused by PEA that results in this? And how was the oil determined to be thicker?

I'm asking since I added PEA cleaner to my fuel, but am only 2k kms into my OCI.

I know it got thicker as the guy that changed my oil said the oil was thick as [censored] each time and it felt like I was towing something.

Originally Posted By: deven

Its probably vehicle, driving, oil and fuel dependent. If the product thickens the oil greatly, its definitely not good for the oil at all. It has been the only time my oil went this way so I just will not use it. Sure it will clean my engine but it kills my oil which I really dont ever want to do.

If you're getting enough PEA from your fuel system into your crankcase and oil to significantly thicken it as you say, you have MUCH larger problems my friend! How are you proving this "oil thickening" anyway? Do you have the viscosity tested after each treatment? Before and after? How many times have you tested and repeated this?? I'm just not buying it...

I probably way over use redline s1-1, and I have their oil in my crankcase as well. I use it almost every tank 1/2 bottle. I had no thickening of my oil, but it did smell real funny last time. I did a uoa, actually had lower wear from the run before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back