2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost rental review

Status
Not open for further replies.

I spent the weekend in Phoenix with these lovely ladies, regretfully heading back to MSP in a few hours.

I loved the car, and I'm not a Ford guy by any means. It was built 1/18 and had just over 600 miles at pickup. It's an Ecoboost premium, all the gadgets you need! Heated\cooled seats and all. The 2.3 has plenty of power, new for '18 is the addition of the 10 speed automatic. It works wonders for the powertrain. In sport mode it shifts crisply yet not overly aggressive. Track mode really firms things up.

If you have the chance on vacation, grab one of these. I didn't pay a dime over my midsize rate for this vs. A Camry or an Impala.

I don't know why, but convertibles instantly turn me off in the visual appeal category of cars

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I don't know why, but convertibles instantly turn me off in the visual appeal category of cars

Agreed. I wouldn't own one, but I wanted to take full advantage of the sun while I could. Back to the frozen tundra soon!

Did you get to put the Top down ?

Years ago, I rented a IROC Convertible for a week in Florida and it rained monsoon style the entire time I was there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 14Accent

Agreed. I wouldn't own one, but I wanted to take full advantage of the sun while I could. Back to the frozen tundra soon!

I agree, with the exception of the Camaro. I was lucky enough to have a drop-top rental. There is right around 2.7% visibility with the top up, otherwise! I couldn't believe how bad the visibility was in the Camaro!

I know that area so well, you guys were at In-N-Out burger at 20th St & Highland!

I’m not a big fan of this new facelift for the Mustang.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
How was the ride? I’d love to get one but I’m done with cars that have a buckboard ride.

I had a quick spin in an Ecoboost Mustang and it wasn't bad at all on our crummy pothole ridden roads. Had a longer drive in a PP1 GT and it wasn't bad either. The GT won my heart....

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I know that area so well, you guys were at In-N-Out burger at 20th St & Highland!

Too funny! How touristy did we look? Haha

I really loved the car. The ride was great with the stock 18" tires, I'm sure 19's will affect that. Also, for the 2018 you can order the magnetic suspension with any trim, before it was GT only. I will say the seats are a bit narrow. I'm 5'10 and slender, and my Italian butt cheeks were right on the bolsters. Plenty comfortable for me, but worth sitting in if you're considering. Headroom was no issue with the top up.

I did notice how stiff the chassis is. This is no Chrysler Sebring. There's almost no cowl shake unless you really hit some choppy roads. Very impressive.

If I was in the market for an inexpensive sports car, I would probably my get this exact thing except in a couple and with the 6 speed manual. The EB can be brought to 400 horsepower with an intake exhaust and tune. All for about $10k less than a GT.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Also, for the 2018 you can order the magnetic suspension with any trim, before it was GT only. I will say the seats are a bit narrow. I'm 5'10 and slender, and my Italian butt cheeks were right on the bolsters. Plenty comfortable for me, but worth sitting in if you're considering. Headroom was no issue with the top up.

To get Magnetic Ride you have to get the PP1 performance pack and that's $4k. Magnetic Ride is another $2k on top of that. The headroom was surprising. I'm 6'2" and had plenty. But the back seat was merely there for show.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
To get Magnetic Ride you have to get the PP1 performance pack and that's $4k. Magnetic Ride is another $2k on top of that.

OUCH!!!!!!
shocked.gif
09.gif
06.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You want a real good ride? Try a Peugeot or a Citroen. They literally float over bumps. Yet the Peugeot 505 ruled some production class sedan races ...

Too bad they don't stay running long, and parts are hardly ever available

Peugeot or Citroen are near the bottom of the list of cars I would own.

I absolutely LOVE convertibles. They are "must have" vehicles for me. However, I absolutely agree. A convertible top generally ruins the look of an otherwise nice car.

YGpzmgI.jpg

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: itguy08
To get Magnetic Ride you have to get the PP1 performance pack and that's $4k. Magnetic Ride is another $2k on top of that.

OUCH!!!!!!
shocked.gif
09.gif
06.gif

I was mistaken. On the GT you need the PP1, 401a, and Magnetic Ride. One the Ecoboost you need the 101a package $2000, Ecoboost Performance $2495, Magnetic Ride $1695.

It certainly is an expensive option. But stock the Mustang rides real nice.

Last edited:

And they didn't invite us for a burger?
cry.gif

That In-N-Out is right by my place!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

And they didn't invite us for a burger?
cry.gif

That In-N-Out is right by my place!
I notice a lot of the pics you post are in that Whole Foods parking lot. My grandparent's are at 22nd St & Indian School. 3 streets North of the Jack in the Box, you'd see the Grand Cherokee and Trailblazer outside.

What's your cross streets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back