Best Ring and Pinion and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
My truck isn't a dog believe it or not. It lacks a little in the towing dept though. Could it be a whole lot more than I want,
OH YEAH! But it's not like a 4.2 v6 in an F150. Now thats a dog.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
So it will make a bigger difference than a 20hp performance programmer for $350?

Do not believe the advertising......

NO programmer will give 20 HP to the older 4.6 (non-PI engine) that you have.

4.10 gears will surely wake it up.

My 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 is as big of a dog as your truck.
Going from 2.73 gears to 3.73 gears dropped 3 MPG but made the car WAKE UP big time in acceleration!

Hey, watch it. That 4.2L V6 makes a little over 200 HP and 260 torx. That's not too far behind the 4.6, which is pretty sad considering that old pushrod V6 has been around in various forms since the early 1980s! I had a 4.2 in an E250 work van, and it was prefectly adequate for hauling heavy loads and towing a few thousand pounds.

I have an 01 F150 5.4L. 4.56 gears and all bolt ons. Good advice on here. Tuners are only good for shift points and firmness and Speedo correction. I got pinging on all engine tunes using best gas I could find. On top of that the difference is almost NIL. Intake and exhaust sounds cool and maybe worth 10-20hp is all. Hard to tell in a big truck. Gear swap is where the money is worth spending. Instant difference. These are from the factory way too high of gears. You shouldn’t go over 80mph in these old trucks so make it fun getting there. I was recommended to get US Gears by the shop that has done tons and trains the guys for 4 wheel parts so they can overcharge everyone. According to him US gears are more than fine for stock or near stock and just don’t have a nice polished finish so you get a little whine. In a truck it doesn’t matter since no one is sitting back there. Have been great for over 5 years for me.

Thanks Fella! You have been music to my ears today. Thanks a lot for taking the time to give your feedback!
Much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
I have an 01 F150 5.4L. 4.56 gears and all bolt ons. Good advice on here. Tuners are only good for shift points and firmness and Speedo correction. I got pinging on all engine tunes using best gas I could find. On top of that the difference is almost NIL. Intake and exhaust sounds cool and maybe worth 10-20hp is all. Hard to tell in a big truck. Gear swap is where the money is worth spending. Instant difference. These are from the factory way too high of gears. You shouldn’t go over 80mph in these old trucks so make it fun getting there. I was recommended to get US Gears by the shop that has done tons and trains the guys for 4 wheel parts so they can overcharge everyone. According to him US gears are more than fine for stock or near stock and just don’t have a nice polished finish so you get a little whine. In a truck it doesn’t matter since no one is sitting back there. Have been great for over 5 years for me.

IMO unless I was having problems with my stock rear I honestly wouldn't change the gearing. I have a 2000 Mustang GT with the stock gears turning about 2,000 rpms at 65 mph and it gets respectable fuel mileage at 22 combined driving. About 26 on the highway at reasonable speeds. It will accelerate better esp. when towing but unless I was towing something really heavy I don't think it's worthwhile doing. I would also change spider gears,bearings and seals if I was doing the job.

Yes change it all. Master rebuild kit it’s called. 2k rpms is too low and annoying to me on the highway. If you live near any hills it always wants to shift back and forth. A truck is like a brick at speeds as well a mustang is much lighter and aerodynamic.

Last edited:
Can you please send a link to this "Master rebuild kit"?

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Yes change it all. Master rebuild kit it’s called. 2k rpms is too low and annoying to me on the highway. If you live near any hills it always wants to shift back and forth. A truck is like a brick at speeds as well a mustang is much lighter and aerodynamic.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
IMO unless I was having problems with my stock rear I honestly wouldn't change the gearing. I have a 2000 Mustang GT with the stock gears turning about 2,000 rpms at 65 mph and it gets respectable fuel mileage at 22 combined driving. About 26 on the highway at reasonable speeds. It will accelerate better esp. when towing but unless I was towing something really heavy I don't think it's worthwhile doing. I would also change spider gears,bearings and seals if I was doing the job.

Your Mustang weighs significantly less than his truck I'd wager.

My Mustang had 3.08 gears, my F-250 had 4.11's. Both with stock 302HO's the Mustang was still significantly ballsier off the line because of the weight difference and tire height.

Going by what I found on Google, the curb weight of a 2000 Mustang GT (coupe) is 3,241lbs. The curb weight for a 2000 F-150 XL is 4,204lbs. So your Mustang is like 1,000lbs lighter. That's a huge difference.

On top of that, he will be turning a much taller tire, reducing gear there as well.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Your Mustang weighs significantly less than his truck I'd wager.

My Mustang had 3.08 gears, my F-250 had 4.11's. Both with stock 302HO's the Mustang was still significantly ballsier off the line because of the weight difference and tire height.

Going by what I found on Google, the curb weight of a 2000 Mustang GT (coupe) is 3,241lbs. The curb weight for a 2000 F-150 XL is 4,204lbs. So your Mustang is like 1,000lbs lighter. That's a huge difference.

On top of that, he will be turning a much taller tire, reducing gear there as well.

That’s it ... even if I did not buy from them I’d get on the phone with the Richmond gear heads ... drag, mud, towing, performance, somewhere they can strike a balance between spreadsheets and spreading good advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back