Crawfish Season Is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's been here for almost 2 months now.
My sons uncle and his 3 sons started a crawfish business on the side last year. This year they bought a mobile rig. They went through 27 sacks of crawfish this past weekend. They boiled about 10 sacks and sold the rest. Prices were $3.00 lb. live and $4.25 lb. boiled!
AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! C'est Si Bon, mon sha'!

Oh yea, gotta get me some mudbugs soon !!
banana2.gif

I've been craving them for weeks
grin.gif

Yesterday, while I was at my dads house shooting at milk jugs and paper targets, my son was running sacks of crawfish to customers. He worked his regular job Saturday, and worked crawfish Sunday. In the pic of crawfish, those were medium crawfish they had separated from the larger ones. That was from only 6 sacks. There were more, but they came later. He said the sacks were averaging 35-40 lbs. They were buying them from a farmer in Mamou, La. Here in Avoyelles Parish, we have a lot of private farmers and also get them from Krotz Springs, La. He's coming by tonight to bring me 15 lbs. of boiled crawfish from yesterday.
Ma oui, mon sha'! I can't wait to suck da heads, and pinch dem tails!
20.gif

My Vietnamese friends love to buy these and do backyard boils.

I can't ever get any decent meat on them.. too much work for no gain lol. I always have to grab a burger afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I can't ever get any decent meat on them.. too much work for no gain lol. I always have to grab a burger afterwards.

Seafood peanuts ... like them but just an appetizer to me ...

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Love dem Mud Bugs! Best with corn and new potatoes.

New potatoes?
21.gif

We use small red potatoes here in Cajun Country. But, I am ALWAYS open to trying something new. Please, do share.

Ours have a little more meat on them...oh, and they are feisty buggers as well. We call them "Yabbies"...catch them with a sock with rotting meat in them, or nets.

Local (now defunct) tourist steam railway has the water makeup fed from a local fresh water dam. One day Compo (guy I used to work with who was a driver) pulled a similar yabby out of the strainer as he filled the tender.

Handed it to some tourists for information...when it got to the Japanese tourists, they ate it...raw.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Ours have a little more meat on them...oh, and they are feisty buggers as well. We call them "Yabbies"...catch them with a sock with rotting meat in them, or nets.

Local (now defunct) tourist steam railway has the water makeup fed from a local fresh water dam. One day Compo (guy I used to work with who was a driver) pulled a similar yabby out of the strainer as he filled the tender.

Handed it to some tourists for information...when it got to the Japanese tourists, they ate it...raw.

They are good ... had crawfish a number of places ... but after attempting a 17 lbs crawfish in Newfoundland I am ruined ...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

After we boil them, any leftovers are peeled for jambalaya, bisque, gumbo, and etouffee. There is a yellow fat (the brains) that we scrape from the head to use as an ingredient in a roux. Aw man, you talk about good, yeah!
20.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I like to add me some MANDA'S smoke sausage, andouille sausage, Boudin, mushrooms, and if shrimp is on sale, dat too!
20.gif

THIS is something I really want to try...sounds incredible!!!

Awesome! I love crawdads. Like most things, I imagine fresh ones are better than frozen? We have two Asian restaurants up here that have crawdads on their $9.00 all-you-can-eat buffet (ya, I know...a sacrilege). I can eat 5 or more mounded up plate fulls easily. Gonna have to try the head sucking thing.

In the original post, when you talk about "biz", is this a buy/boil/sell business with farm raised morsels, or are you talking about a wild caught crayfish business?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Awesome! I love crawdads. Like most things, I imagine fresh ones are better than frozen? We have two Asian restaurants up here that have crawdads on their $9.00 all-you-can-eat buffet (ya, I know...a sacrilege). I can eat 5 or more mounded up plate fulls easily. Gonna have to try the head sucking thing.

In the original post, when you talk about "biz", is this a buy/boil/sell business with farm raised morsels, or are you talking about a wild caught crayfish business?

My X-BIL and his 3 grown sons have a crawfish business. They buy wholesale and sell it to make a profit. They take reservations on how many sacks their customers order. They also buy a certain amount to boil and sell. My son told me they were set up in a strip shopping center this weekend and sold out (27 sacks-each sack weighs 35-40 lbs. average)!
Easter Sunday is the biggest, most popular day to boil crawfish. If you want a sack, or more, you usually have to put your reserved order in 2 weeks prior. Crawfish farmers make some serious money on Easter weekend.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I always thought those were raw.

This thread is very enlightening. I had no idea there were crawfish farms. We have them in the creek and by the pond. They always make those mounds and I hit them with the mower.

I've had the stuff 1 time I believe. A micro brew in town has a cajun food thing in the back with a famous crawfish chowder. Had the stuff with a pint of Kolsh and I believe it was imitation meat. Colored much like imitation at least. Not really my thing and won't be getting it again.

I do like all sorts of shellfish though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back