Direct injection, port injection, dual injection..

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and possible problems one to be reckoned with; all explained in plain English!

This is why I was very happy to hear that the updated Pentastar in my new Jeep JL Wrangler does not have direct injection.

On the other hand, I didn't know anything about issues with DI when I purchased my Ford Transit Ecoboost. However, when they tore my engine down after a quick oil change place ruined it by improperly installing the oil filter, the Ford dealer told me the valves actually looked pretty good. It had about 85,000 miles on it. I ran Mobil 1 EP 5w30 exclusively from the first oil change onward. A couple of OCI's went out as far as 10,000 miles, so I feel pretty good about that plan. My understanding is that Mobil 1 AP was developed moreso with turbo DI engines in mind, so I may switch to that on my new (factory rebuild) Ecoboost, and continue with 10k OCI's.

I wonder if the NOACK changes on the oil as it gets miles on it?

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
This is why I was very happy to hear that the updated Pentastar in my new Jeep JL Wrangler does not have direct injection.

Yes! I'm hoping I can grab a new GC before they make the change to DI. Otherwise I'll wait a few years and see how the early adopters do with Chrysler's DI in the Pentastar.

so the takeaway from the video and the overall sentiment that is out there, we should stick to the past

in my case that means I keep Mazda as long as I can, and get rid of CRV and get the one 10 years old!

I am slightly worried about the fact that my Corvette has DI but at the same time there are a few people with 2014 Corvettes out there now that are above the 60k mark and none have reported any issues at all related to DI. Hopefully once people start getting to 100k and beyond they will still have no issues. I do plan on putting at least 250k on my car.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I am slightly worried about the fact that my Corvette has DI but at the same time there are a few people with 2014 Corvettes out there now that are above the 60k mark and none have reported any issues at all related to DI. Hopefully once people start getting to 100k and beyond they will still have no issues. I do plan on putting at least 250k on my car.

While not the exact same motor the DI system is pretty much the same on your Corvette's LT1 as it is on my Sierra's L86. I have 115,000 miles on this vehicle with no fuel or engine issues. I do run a catch can.

I have 94k miles on my DI focus with no silly intake cleaning garbage, and I have no performance or economy issues of any kind related to DI. Not to say some DI engines don't have problems, but they don't all.

Originally Posted By: red7404
that carbon build up can be fixed. with OUT taking the heads off. IMHO. with http://www.ampcolubes.com/ which lets you lubricate the intake valves with Marvel Mystery Oil. throu the intake track. IMHO.

This sounds like something that will be completely unnecessary running with normal gasoline. Maybe useful to some degree for LPG and CNG vehicles, but I highly doubt it would be worth it on a normal engine.

that carbon build up can be fixed. with OUT taking the heads off. IMHO. with http://www.ampcolubes.com/ which lets you lubricate the intake valves with Marvel Mystery Oil. throu the intake track. IMHO.

A good old inverse oiler. I mentioned it years ago, when the DI problem threads first started popping up. I took some heat, my bet is it would work, or help a great deal. I'd plumb one in if I had a vehicle with a DI engine that was prone to carbon build up problems.

NICK. normal gasoline IS the problem. it has NO lube. be cause of the ethanol. where else does the car maker have steel to steel with NO lube. just talk to some one that has a ford ecobost engine. some time ago, the ONLY fix for the carbon build up that ford had was to remove the head a scrap the carbon. i would be VERY VERY embarest to put out a product like that

30k on my 1.5T without issue..constant juiced fuel and 0/40 motor oil, fingers crossed.

NICK. normal gasoline IS the problem. it has NO lube. be cause of the ethanol. where else does the car maker have steel to steel with NO lube. just talk to some one that has a ford ecobost engine. some time ago, the ONLY fix for the carbon build up that ford had was to remove the head a scrap the carbon. i would be VERY VERY embarest to put out a product like that

Man I'm sure glad you told me that normal gasoline has no lubrication properties and my engine is going to explode while it's new... Oh wait, I actually have 94k miles on my direct injected 2.0L from Ford and it runs perfectly, all on regular 10% ethanol gasoline. Try again with the FUD.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
DI engines have different valve seat material which is much harder. Similar to factory CNG vehicles. They don't need any lubrication.

That's a new one on me. Harder seats than when gasoline made the switch from lead to non-lead?

Never thought about CNG vehicles, I guess they would have seen the seat recession issue, as those have been around longer than non-leaded gas (ok, non-leaded gasoline predates leaded gasoline, but you get what I mean).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back