Is this a Toyota or a Nissan part? Hoping Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing some brake jobs in my driveway. Just found this 10 minutes ago. It was laying out there all by itself. I really don't want to go through 4 cars trying to find what it came off of. I'm hoping it is off a Nissan. I'm really hoping. If so, I can go and pick the Versa back up and get it replaced before the owner goes home from nursing home on Thursday. No harm, no foul. If it is off a Toyota, well, I have done brakes on 4 of them in the last month.

IF the Versa were here at my home, I'd just pull the left front and check. Problem is it is one 1 hour away in owner's driveway.
Please help?

That's nothing I had a woman complaining about scraping noise, the rear caliper pin bolt had sheared right off and a pad had fallen out.
She had the brakes done at a chain store (well known but I cant mention the name for obvious reasons), 2 of the other bolts broke taking them out. Either they over tightened them to the point of almost breaking or they used cheap pin bolts.
She had stopped there for an OC and tire rotation and they told her her brakes were no good.....

Edit: Agree that's from an old one.

Last edited:
If you left a shim out, the worst thing that could happen is squeaking. There are far worse ways to mess up a brake job. My favorite is the neighbor who replaced the pads and then had a terrible squealing with brand new pads. Turns out he put one of them on with the metal side toward the rotor.

I did not replace the shims or pads in the Versa. I did pull the pads out to try and see what was rubbing.

I merely fixed a rubbing noise in the Versa.

Is this a Nissan shim?

I can't afford to have her take the car to "real" mechanic and him see the shim is missing and ask her who checked her brakes last.

I'm her Pastor
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: mk378
If you left a shim out, the worst thing that could happen is squeaking. There are far worse ways to mess up a brake job. My favorite is the neighbor who replaced the pads and then had a terrible squealing with brand new pads. Turns out he put one of them on with the metal side toward the rotor.

Yep, that would be a real issue.

I would leave it alone. Test drive all the cars and verify that the brakes are good. If one of the cars are missing the shim, that caliper piston would have extended a bit further out.

Unless you are servicing race cars where every bit of braking is needed, I'm taking an educated guess that things will be ok.

Are ya'll gonna make me drive 45 minutes to the Nissan Dealer?

Remember, I'm the guy that pays massive amounts of money for caliber grease
grin.gif

I will find where this goes. I promise. All I need is for a Nissan expert with a photographic mind. Am I asking too much?

I was Googling Versa brake pads and that shim looks slightly different. What year? I just checked RA...
Circa 2011:
17D1345CH_FRO__ra_p.jpg

Circa 2014:
17D1592CH_FRO__ra_p.jpg

They changed to the second one for 2012MY.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
Looks like Nissan
https://conceptzperformance.com/nissan-i...890_p_24784.php

We have a winner!!!

This worked out great. I had to go visit someone tonight and it put me within 5 minutes of her car. I drove the Versa back and my wife drove the 4Runner back home.
Ready for a NASCAR pit stop tomorrow am!

Thanks GravelRoad!

Rest easy. Just did a brake job with those pads a few weeks ago. The OE shims do not fit on replacement pads. I even had pads from dealer. They don’t have the nipples in the same orientation as original equipment. Impossible to install with out modifications. New pads have own shims. I did a Nissan Juke, same pads as Versa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Rest easy. Just did a brake job with those pads a few weeks ago. The OE shims do not fit on replacement pads. I even had pads from dealer. They don’t have the nipples in the same orientation as original equipment. Impossible to install with out modifications. New pads have own shims. I did a Nissan Juke, same pads as Versa.

Thanks for the info. But I didn't change pads. I just removed them to see if I could figure out what was making noise. Somehow this fell out and got left on the driveway. I replaced the old pads as they had 75% life in them. It's just that in the process, this shim escaped. All is well. OR it will be around 9:00 am Tuesday morning.

That is a Nissan front inboard brake pad shim, probably from a D815 style brake pad.

We have a winner!!!

This worked out great. I had to go visit someone tonight and it put me within 5 minutes of her car. I drove the Versa back and my wife drove the 4Runner back home.
Ready for a NASCAR pit stop tomorrow am!

Thanks GravelRoad!

Your welcome Pastor Gebo.

The proof is in the pudding...

Now for a test drive to Red Wing. My 8111's have just arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back