Flushing an Engine with Flushing Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Going to be doing an oil change soon on my Diesel. It's tuned to about 50% more than stock HP so want to give it a good treat. It's nearly at 100k miles now so I want to do a flush.

I have found some SAE 30 flushing oil. Is it worth running that through first to clean out the engine? I'd like to try and keep my new oil as clean as possible as I am going to get some really good quality stuff.

If it's worth doing what would be the best procedure to follow?

Thanks
laugh.gif

Seems like a waste to me. It would help, however, to know what kind of oil you normally run in that engine. If your normal oil is a quality oil, then I'd say don't waste the time/money running that SAE30 "flushing oil" through it. Just drain and refill with the good stuff.

I'm going to guess that there's no need for a "flushing oil".
If there is history of neglect there might be a use for a solvent style cleaner but then again, the avalanche of opinions here recommend a short OCI or two with cheaper oils. You don't appear to have that option.

Common use with fair or better maintenance? Just use your good oil.
What engine in what vehicle did you tune so heartily?

Thats my advice...

Look online...and try to find cheapest ester oil you can get (its usually motocycle oil) and use it as a top off oil just before your OCI

Thats it....

Dammit!! Again wrong forum section! It's a 2l HDI engine. It's been a great car to me so I am determined to keep it really nice
laugh.gif

General consensus is that it's not worth flushing if good quality oil has been used previous. That has been the case with it as it's usually had shell helix ultra 5w40 oil.

I have used Kreen on my E300 diesel with almost 278-300k miles, with outstanding results. My nephew is still driving it with almost 336k mile.

Originally Posted By: jtaylor2005
Going to be doing an oil change soon on my Diesel. It's nearly at 100k miles now so I want to do a flush

Diesel engines do make "black" oil.....

But I have been wrenching on diesels for almost 40 years,
and I have never seen ANYTHING that looked like "sludge"
like you'd see in gas/petrol cars from the 60's and 70's and 80's.

Just run a air compressor at low power into crankcase to rid excess oil. Make sure all moisture is gone first before. I do this rarely but find afterward my car takes a bit more oil.

Over the road trucks go 1,000,000 miles without any "flushing"... 20,000 mile oil changes and just good HDEO.

Many of those engines are are well over 1 hp/cu in and run the distance.

What do you think needs flushing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: jtaylor2005
Going to be doing an oil change soon on my Diesel. It's nearly at 100k miles now so I want to do a flush

Diesel engines do make "black" oil.....

But I have been wrenching on diesels for almost 40 years,
and I have never seen ANYTHING that looked like "sludge"
like you'd see in gas/petrol cars from the 60's and 70's and 80's.

Thats because diesel (as a fuel) also serves as detergent...when thrown into oil past piston rings or intentionally through fill hole
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back