Looking for the best 0w40 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening All,

I am looking for a really good 0w40 oil. It's for a modified diesel engine that's producing 50% more power than stock and gets a thrashing here and there.

For the sake of an extra £7 or so it seems silly to go and put cheap oil in!

I am looking at Mobil 1 FS 0w40 and Motul X-Max 0w40.

Does anyone have any pointer for picking the best oils and what specs I should be looking at to help decide?

Thanks
smile.gif

Can't help you (might want to ask in the diesel area instead) but I have to wonder if some used oil analysis is going to be necessary. Modified & hard driven, methinks soot loading and other issues. I'd probably be erring on shorter OCI's--short like 10,000km.

Oh [censored]! Didn't realise I had put it in the wrong category!
I have always heard Castrol is good but out of principle I never buy them purely down to their stupid sized 4l bottles. They know that almost every car takes between 4 and 5l so they make the bottles small so you have to buy 4l + a 1l top up bottle!

I am wondering. Is there any negatives to buying 300v racing grade oils etc? Like to they skimp on some things to make up other things?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

He's in the UK, he can buy Castrol Edge 0W-40 but not Pennzoil.

Maybe not the Pennzoil but he can get the same oil as Shell Helix Ultra and it comes in 5L.

I'd pick something that has 3 of 4 of the following manufacturer specs:

1. MB 229.5
2. VW 502/505
3. Porsche 0W40
4. BMW LL01

I think all of the suitable oils mentioned so far probably match those specs.

One thing to note is that there are a number of 0w40 and 5w40 that are very close in 40C and 100C viscosity.

50% power is a big jump, if you are seeing hotter oil temps I would consider a 5w50, if xW-40 is stock viscosity, one of my cars had only (comparatively) 25% power increase and needed an additional oil cooler to survive track days.

Opieoils.co.uk is a good shop to research oils as they are indexed nicely and lots of data available.

Originally Posted By: barryh
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

He's in the UK, he can buy Castrol Edge 0W-40 but not Pennzoil.

Maybe not the Pennzoil but he can get the same oil as Shell Helix Ultra and it comes in 5L.

Its hard to find Shell Helix Ultra in 0W40, but their 5W40 is very similar viscosity and viscosity index.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Get some Mobil Delvac 5W-40 if you can find some.
Really any major brand fully synthetic Diesel 5W-40 is what i would go for.

I help a friend with lots of HD work kit and high HP play kit and he puts the 5w40 Delvac 1 in everything ... dozers to really fast cars, OPE to boats ... he bought 45 gallons during Walmart $23 sale ...

Originally Posted By: jtaylor2005
Censored!!! woops! didn't think that word was a swear word!

Yes the potty-mouth filter on this site is set to kindergarten speak. Still speak normally as most English and Australian slang slip straight through.

Do you want a high-SAPS or low/mid-SAPS oil ? If you have a DPF then you probably want low or mid SAPS (Sulphated Ash).

I would look at the good 5W40 and 0W40 oils. Then select based on price and which carries the most OEM specs.

For high SAPS
A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40

For low SAPS
C3. MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, Porsche C30

Mid SAPS may have some combination of the above specs.

Not knowing what motor cant advise much, I have stock MB E class with OM648 I run Mobil Delvac 1 ESP it meets spec's for my car and extremely happy I do run 5W40 due to hot weather in Texas.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Does Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 meet any of these?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: SR5

Does Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 meet any of these?

Yes SHU 5W40 meets all of them, and a few more besides. It would be one of my first picks.

Quote:
Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Porsche A40; Renault RN0700, RN0710; PSA B71 2296, Ferrari. Meets the requirements of Fiat 9.55535-Z2 and Chrysler MS-10725

(SHU 5W40 Link)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Also Castrol Edge 0w-40 (Euro), and Pennz Plat 0w-40 Euro.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I just recently did an OCI with PP Euro 0W40. My engine has never run as quiet as it does now. I didn't know this oil was a candidate for diesel engines.
When my dad owned his heavy equipment operating business, he used Chevron lubricants religiously. Chevron is recognized world wide for use in diesel engines.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back