Bobby Orr

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is 9 and in his second season as a hockey player he plays defense and seems to enjoy it. Someone on his team was talking about Bobby Orr so he wanted to know more about him and being a Boston Bruins fan I was more than happy to explain.

If you go on YouTube you can watch how Orr dominated the game of hockey. Anyone here ever watch his video's and we're just amazed!?

Orr is right up there with Bird and Ted Williams in Boston...Bill Russell should get even more respect than he does, but it seems like he always had a testy relationship with the city.

Don't like Massachusetts anything but I think I would pick Ray Bourque as #1 for the Bruins.

JMO

Watched him on TV, Saturday nights on Hockey Night In Canada.

If he was playing today, the surgeries he needed would have been much more successful, and he would have had a much longer career.

Borque is much loved in Boston, but Orr is treated more or less like a demigod.
I think Cam Neely is way higher on the Boston "ladder" than Borque, JMHO.

If Orr had come a couple of decades later, I'm sure his bad knee could have been repaired and who knows what is career totals would have looked like...

Athletes like Orr, Bird, and Williams were not only great athletes but good citizens as well. That is something that is lacking these days.

Bill Russell was a great player but he stirred the pot with his involvement in the Black Muslim movement that was prevalent during his time. Remember Cassius Clay, Lew Alcindor, and Bobby Moore to name a few. Then as in now, people prefer that sports and politics stay separate. So Bill Russell has that stigma.

During my time growing up, Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, and Gordie Howe were the big names in hockey.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Athletes like Orr, Bird, and Williams were not only great athletes but good citizens as well. That is something that is lacking these days.

How true that is! Today a lot of these players deserve to be more on a prison team with the other thugs.

Bill Russell was a great player but he stirred the pot with his involvement in the Black Muslim movement that was prevalent during his time. Remember Cassius Clay, Lew Alcindor, and Bobby Moore to name a few. Then as in now, people prefer that sports and politics stay separate. So Bill Russell has that stigma.

During my time growing up, Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, and Gordie Howe were the big names in hockey.

Bill Russell was passionate about the civil rights movement and black power, but he was hardly a Nation of Islam member! I sure don't see fighting for the rights of an oppressed minority as attaching a stigma to Russell's name, but he sure made some people who were happy with the unfair status quo uncomfortable. Russell's Boston home was once trashed by racist scum, so who can blame him for fighting against such garbage?
One thing that really stands out for me from Russell's whole life is his intelligence, so I can sure understand his view of the hypocrisy of people who hated him and thought him inferior because of his color begging for his autograph at the Garden. He was just as difficult with writers and fans as Ted Williams, but Ted was like that because of his own inner demons while Russell was taking a stand against racism and unearned privilege, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Bill Russell was passionate about the civil rights movement and black power, but he was hardly a Nation of Islam member! I sure don't see fighting for the rights of an oppressed minority as attaching a stigma to Russell's name, but he sure made some people who were happy with the unfair status quo uncomfortable. Russell's Boston home was once trashed by racist scum, so who can blame him for fighting against such garbage?
One thing that really stands out for me from Russell's whole life is his intelligence, so I can sure understand his view of the hypocrisy of people who hated him and thought him inferior because of his color begging for his autograph at the Garden. He was just as difficult with writers and fans as Ted Williams, but Ted was like that because of his own inner demons while Russell was taking a stand against racism and unearned privilege, IMHO.

I should rephrase what I said. He was not a member of the NOI but he stood with them on occasion.

BTW, when I was growing up it was Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, and Bill Russell. Those were the big stars and yes there were others but in those days of network television the NBA was very much overlooked. Golf and bowling had more play than did basketball. It wasn’t until the NBA and ABA merged that we started to see more basketball on television. In fact the only ABA game on tv was the championship game. The early days of Dr. J were something indeed.

Right now I don’t pay too much attention to it as it has gotten too political as has the NFL. I hope that turns around.

Originally Posted By: Trav
How true that is! Today a lot of these players deserve to be more on a prison team with the other thugs.

Exactly which hockey players are you referring to?

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back