Honda 0w16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where would anyone use this oil? I mean, are there any hondas out there specked for 0w16?

Seems like it would be a natural for hybrids like the Prius that probably don't stress their IC engines too much.

Interesting interview here with reps from the maker of ENEOS oils, they indicate that 0W16 would have developed even without CAFE due to Japanese efficiency standards, that they are already looking at 0W8 and beyond, and that they presently recommend 0W16 for the 2018 Camry in the US (IC only and hybrid). They are a little vague about US recommendation for newer Prius, Honda Fit, and Honda hybrids, but it sounds like they recommend 0W16 for those in Japan now.

https://noln.net/2017/06/30/skinny-ow-16-oil/

Thanks for that link. From the interview (with JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy employees, makers of ENEOS oil):

Question: What base oil stock is 0W-16 made from, and does it have any special properties?
Employee 1: It is a 100-percent synthetic oil made from Group III base stock. The key point to 0W-16 is formulation, not raw material. The most important thing is [the formulation of the] base oil and additives.
Employee 2: The biggest thing we see when it comes to specialty oils like this is, any blender can come up with an oil that is a 0W-16 viscosity, but after the product is utilized, will it be able to withstand the heat; is there enough anti-wear protection and oil film retention; everything comes in to play.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Seems like it would be a natural for hybrids like the Prius that probably don't stress their IC engines too much.

Interesting interview here with reps from the maker of ENEOS oils, they indicate that 0W16 would have developed even without CAFE due to Japanese efficiency standards, that they are already looking at 0W8 and beyond, and that they presently recommend 0W16 for the 2018 Camry in the US (IC only and hybrid). They are a little vague about US recommendation for newer Prius, Honda Fit, and Honda hybrids, but it sounds like they recommend 0W16 for those in Japan now.

https://noln.net/2017/06/30/skinny-ow-16-oil/

Ok, let me re-phrase my question: what Honda vehicle currently present in NA market this could've been used? it is readily available with Bernardi Parts (as well as some other retailers, and I was wondering what's the market for this oil?

Send an email or phone Honda Inc with that question. They have answers, probably different than here.
When you find out from Honda, let us know what they say.

i would try it in your Civic 1.5T since it specs 0w-20, it is only a 1.5 liter engine. Grow a pair and do it.

Not happening. Given the severity of fuel dilution in these engines it will shear down to 0w8 weight.

AmsoilSS 5w20 has the lowest noack I've seen so far - around 5.3%. 5w30 is slightly higher in 6ish range, that's another reason i'm running this weight

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
In an old air cooled VW Bus.

As long as it has flower power stickers on it man
lol.gif
! You could probably go a few miles with it before the engine became an expensive paper weight
crackmeup2.gif
. One of my older sisters had a 1965 VW Bus. She seized the engine(s) quickly multiple times by not checking the oil. She should have just used straight STP oil treatment for the viscosity needed in that engine
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back