Abuse Proof Rental Home Flooring Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not able to post on the original thread so started another. My rental flooring problem is solved for now as the rental service found some new tenants. The tenants were OK with the damaged carpet. That may be a red flag in itself. I saved all the suggestions on my Ipad and will deal with it next time the unit is vacant. FWIW, Home Depot has cheap carpet tiles in various colors and thicknesses. They are just peel and stick and damaged tiles can be replaced. My local Home Depot has these carpet tiles in front of both doors. They look amazing considering the traffic they get.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I sometimes get discouraged in this business but need the income, so selling out is not an option :)

Good for you.

Now, if your time permits, can you check for any carpet discounters in your area? (old stock, left-overs from conventions).

Or develop a bit better relations with your local HomeDepot store. sometimes they may give you discounts or let you know of older stock/clearance....

P.S. I think the other thread was closed because of ... "veiled names" for Section8 renters....

Keep at it and do not get discouraged.

I would never use carpet in a rental, unless there were issues with noise transmission. Too delicate, and you can never trust it because you never know what seeped into the carpet.

Owning rentals, I realized that renters can be bigger pigs than I . I have had two renters in my life time that have actually left the house in better condition than when they moved in. I gave them a months rent back as a thank you because it saved me so much money and time.

It seems like in my neighborhood when renters move out a roll-off dumpster moves in. Houses rent over $1K/month here for nothing special.

Respect for those that hold rentals, I couldn't do it.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
...My rental flooring problem is solved for now as the rental service found some new tenants. The tenants were OK with the damaged carpet. That may be a red flag in itself. ...

Just to keep them honest:
-can you inspect them every 3 months based on you offering to replace the air filter?
I choose to offer and buy the filters because one family had a kid with asthma/allergies.

The reason is some tenants in that class are used to landlords who don't repair anything without a crazy show or sometimes they bill/charge premium to tenants per visit/repair.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Owning rentals, I realized that renters can be bigger pigs than I . I have had two renters in my life time that have actually left the house in better condition than when they moved in. I gave them a months rent back as a thank you because it saved me so much money and time.

My eventual wife and I lived in an apartment complex in Hoffman Estates (NW of Chicago) that was notorious for never returning deposits. We spent two weeks basically polishing that place with toothbrushes and removed grains of sand with dental picks (and we hadn't trashed the place to start) and, lo and behold, got our full deposit back. I think even people who take good care of a place tend to just move their stuff out and expect the landlord to deal with removing some garbage, minor fixes and cleaning, etc. When we left that apartment and moved into a house in Elgin (mistake), the previous owners left several bags of garbage for us and also took the TV antenna that was supposed to stay...they only moved two blocks away, suffice it to say that they got a few staredowns when we went on long walks.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
It seems like in my neighborhood when renters move out a roll-off dumpster moves in. Houses rent over $1K/month here for nothing special.

I agree.

I used to have several rentals. one duplex, and a few single family houses. When we first started many years ago, we had good renters that paid the rent and took good care of the places. One single guy had a big dog,(which he wasn't suppose to have) and when he bought his own house after several years, you would have never known that there was a dog in there, and the house was in better shape than when he moved in. BUT, in the last several years, it seems that no matter how much checking we did the renters were always getting behind on the rent, and trashing the places. If they don't move when told our laws take about 3 months before they can be forced out. So we sold all our rentals, and put the money into other investments. It is much easier on the nerves now LOL

i have found that unless your rent is below market that tenant that don't care about the condition will have issues. people that are paying the going rate like to have everything in good condition.

the couple of times i have been burned renters are by people that just wanted to move in and condition was not relavent

Rent is too cheap actually

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what you charge for rent if the person who rents your place isn't planning on paying it at all.

The best bet to try and get a good renter is to inspect their current apartment, and chat with their current landlord, to see how up to date they are on their rent.

BC.

What I have found is that a lot of renters anticipate getting the shaft on their deposit and act accordingly. Acquaintance of mine was having some problems with his rentals, and I suggested he approach his next set of departing tenants 2 months before the move-out and outline exactly what he expected for a 100% complete deposit return and the typical rates for certain repairs by a landlord (excessive, of course).

Low and behold, before moving out, the tenants spackled, painted, replaced a broken door themselves, replaced a couple of broken outlet covers, and the place was absolutely mint when they moved out. Floors mopped and swept, sink drains cleaned.

Landlords are not the bad guys they are made out to be, but that element exists as much as bad tenants do. Tenants make bad assumptions about landlords in the same way that landlords make bad assumptions about tenants.

Could I ever be a landlord? Probably not.

The going rate is what it is. Older subdivision, 1300-1600 sq ft houses. When my daughter left SoCal 2 years ago her 1100 sq ft rental was $2700/mo and went up when she left.

in Newport Rhode island at officer training school during the vietnam war, wife and I moved out of Pinnard cottages, out of a 2 br at end of the lease (I was getting out of school). never got our deposit- we asked from 1000 miles away, reason was it was "left dirty", we asked, "there was a bag with 2 onions left on kitchen table" . which we thought if true did not warrant keeping the deposit.

It was landlords picking on transient Navy people IMHO. odd how the small things pixx you off and are remembered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back