Hand map, GPS unit or phone map used most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On road nuvi2405...bicycle/hiking oregon450
smile.gif

Never had complications that way! I am always using dedicated devices for navigating...

Google maps only helped from time to time in countries like Italy or France...they are a little bit on a lazy side regarding map updates
smile.gif

I use an older Garmin in the ti or Wrangler. The other cars have built in systems.

I like to have a hand map for the “big picture” when traveling out of town, but use my phone within the city. Also, I don’t have the patience to listen to instructions on how to get there. Just give me the address and I’ll use the phone. Not to be rude.

Last edited:
The built in GPS in my FXT kind of sucks, but I tend to use it for convenience rather than fish the TomTom out of the glove box. Am also using Sirius XM traffic for now even though it only covers a handful of major metro areas, the lifetime traffic on the TomTom is much better but, again, not as convenient. I will tend to run both of them for really long drives.
For longer drives or areas I've never been to before, I will scope out the route on Google Maps...haven't opened one of our map books for myself for several years now, but I did walk my daughter through book maps of the area where we live when she started to drive just so she could have a mental picture of where things are.

For directions I use the phone for google maps. I do use the Mazda navigation as I can see what’s coming up safer and the name of the next street pops up at the top of the screen which is very useful.

I don't have a smart phone, so when I am traveling to uncharted territory I check out Google Maps ahead of the trip. I keep maps in my vehicle and/or some Google print outs to help me to my destination.

I cannot understand the method my adult kids and most others travel. They punch in their destination and proceed "blindly" on their way. I say blindly because they have no idea of what the "big picture" is, as Snagglefoot points out above. No idea of what towns and features they are going to be passing by. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Last summer someone rode their bicycle to my workplace, a direct north-south route about 3 miles. GPS and Google Maps puts my workplace about 3 miles off course. The bicycle rider rode over 6 miles to eventually get here due to their dependence on GPS and no awareness of compass directions. This must be one of those generational things that us old codgers love to rant about.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I don't have a smart phone, so when I am traveling to uncharted territory I check out Google Maps ahead of the trip. I keep maps in my vehicle and/or some Google print outs to help me to my destination.

I cannot understand the method my adult kids and most others travel. They punch in their destination and proceed "blindly" on their way. I say blindly because they have no idea of what the "big picture" is, as Snagglefoot points out above. No idea of what towns and features they are going to be passing by. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Last summer someone rode their bicycle to my workplace, a direct north-south route about 3 miles. GPS and Google Maps puts my workplace about 3 miles off course. The bicycle rider rode over 6 miles to eventually get here due to their dependence on GPS and no awareness of compass directions. This must be one of those generational things that us old codgers love to rant about.

It will (unfortunately) make more sense when we have self-driving cars.

But, two years ago, I did get lost 10 miles from my house.
It was an overcast day and I could not see the Sun to get my N/S direction.
Familiar roads but they were criss crossing at odd angles.
No compass, No GPS. Very annoying.

Last edited:
when riding I have a laminated folding map of PA (don't ride out of state) that I bring along for 'guesstimations' which works well 97% of the time; I will use google maps to occasionally plan routes for selected destinations if I am unfamiliar with roads nearby...sometimes print route instructions; might start packing gps if I buy a tank bag this season; my cell phone doesn't have a data plan so no navigation

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, its SUPER easy to navigate to your destination. Just hold down the main button and say, "Navigate me to 123 Main St, Anytown, FL" and it will pull up your route and get you there. Or you can tell it to navigate you to Home Depot in Sarasota, FL. Or "navigate me home".

I like my Garmin GPS because it lets me update the maps 4 times per year for free, so it always has the most up to date maps. The map updates for the car software are $150 and are already behind the Garmin by a year. The phone maps are always up to date. I have found if you are in a area without cell coverage, and you don't already have the map downloaded to your phone, the phone GPS will be worthless.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Does anyone use a hand map much anymore? I use my cell phone maps only.

All of my vehicles have dash mounted GPS … but when it’s a first time trip I still like to google and add some human element to what the computers suggest … like if too many small towns with 30 mph or even school zones.

My car doesn't have Navigation so I use my phone. My wife uses her memory after looking up directions before we go anywhere unfamiliar, her car has navigation. I really like the vehicles that come with Apple and Android integration.

Phone GPS almost exclusively. I have a backup app with downloaded maps of the entire USA in case I need to navigate where there is no cell service. There's a full size road atlas in the back seat pocket, though I only ever look at it out of curiosity.

I will look at the big picture of the route before I leave and sometimes make changes if Google decides to send me on a wacky route just to save 1 min of travel time.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

In the 2er and the i3 the navigation system shows the entire route for several seconds once the destination is entered, then zooms in to the selected map magnification. I'm 61 and I think the system works fine.

I've been using phone navigation for years. I always take my road atlas on long trips as a backup. It has saved my butt a few times when cell reception failed out in the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back