Has anyone mixed Hyundai PSF-3 with something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone mixed Hyundai/Kia PSF-3 with something else without issues? Let me explain.

I want to change my PS fluid with the turkey baster method so it's not 100% flush. Dealer told me they sell PSF-4 now. He said it's fine to mix for small topoff only and told me it cannot mix if doing turkey baster change.

I don't want to do whole flush as per manual because complicated and lines are rusty and old. Car is a 2006 Hyundai Tucson if it matters.

So anyone here mixed it with something else and ran it in their car with no issues?

Last edited:
May I ask why you want to flush the power steering lines? Are you having issues or just doing preventative maintenance?

Sounds like you need to get a fluid extractor and disconnect the lines going to the reservoir to get the old fluid out.

I've never done this on a Hyundai, but I cannot see this fluid change causing big issues.

You may need to fill and remove a few times to get most of the old stuff out.

You can get PSF-3 online at Amazon and Ebay.

I have been using RAVENOL J1B1031, which is PSF-3 compatible. Best price on Ebay from Blauparts, a VW/Audi parts supplier I have been using for 15 years.

RAVENOL lists J1B1001 for PSF-4, so I am not mixing PSF-3 and PSF-4.

PSF-3 was just their name for Dexron 2. Just use any good transmission fluid that meets Dex3 or better and you will be fine. The steering system is not that picky.

I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my neighbors 07 Sonata for pump and dumps every other oil change, no issues after 3 years.

I had to have the power steering pump replaced on my 2003 Santa Fe at around 208K miles. I asked the mechanic (who is very reliable/conscientious) what type of fluid he used. He said he looked it up and it specifically called for ATF in this year/model. So I'm assuming that whoever is saying PSF3 is just ATF is pretty much correct. It has been running just fine since I had the power steering pump changed out.

But one word of warning: aftermarket power steering pumps are a [censored]. He put a couple of them on that were insanely noisy, so I found an OEM one online that works perfectly.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my neighbors 07 Sonata for pump and dumps every other oil change, no issues after 3 years.

This ^^^ (Valvo Maxlife ATF) and Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF, I used in my former '04 Elantra.
The change to new fluids cured the whine noise in cold mornings. Also it seem to move more freely.
I had it for 7.5 years and 74k miles.

If you can get to the cooler you can drain 95% of the oil out. Easy hose clamp set up.

I went to Prestone with stop leak. $5 a quart at Walmart for the fill. Works great.

Originally Posted By: JC1
May I ask why you want to flush the power steering lines? Are you having issues or just doing preventative maintenance?

Sounds like you need to get a fluid extractor and disconnect the lines going to the reservoir to get the old fluid out.

I've never done this on a Hyundai, but I cannot see this fluid change causing big issues.

You may need to fill and remove a few times to get most of the old stuff out.

I wanted to change because it's dark ish and probably was never changed. My pump also did some whine one morning.

Like I said I don't want to flush. My plan to change it was suck some out of the reservoir, fill it back. That's it. Do that few days a week until it's more clear.

Originally Posted By: knerml
You can get PSF-3 online at Amazon and Ebay.

I have been using RAVENOL J1B1031, which is PSF-3 compatible. Best price on Ebay from Blauparts, a VW/Audi parts supplier I have been using for 15 years.

RAVENOL lists J1B1001 for PSF-4, so I am not mixing PSF-3 and PSF-4.

They don't sell the fluid on Amazon or Ebay Canada.

But was it mixed with the old fluid in there or you made a flush first then put whole new liquid?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If you can get to the cooler you can drain 95% of the oil out. Easy hose clamp set up.

I went to Prestone with stop leak. $5 a quart at Walmart for the fill. Works great.

Like I said I don't want to flush. Just suck out of reservoir and put some new until it's clear.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

This ^^^ (Valvo Maxlife ATF) and Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF, I used in my former '04 Elantra.
The change to new fluids cured the whine noise in cold mornings. Also it seem to move more freely.

Did you do complete flush than new though or it was mixed with the PSF-3 in there?

Originally Posted By: TheMidnightNarwh

Did you do complete flush than new though or it was mixed with the PSF-3 in there?

Pull fluid from the reservoir and refill every weekend until color was the same as in the bottle.

Originally Posted By: TheMidnightNarwh

It was a mix at at the start of me doing that. It's pretty much all Valvoline now. Mixing didn't seem to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back