Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first gun I ever shot was a single shot 22 rifle. I’m considering a Ruger or Marlin semi automatic just for plinking. Probably a scope later on and do some target shooting. These two are pretty much inexpensive basic little auto rifles but sure are fun to shoot. Any thoughts or opinions on these or other models or brands is appreciated.

Ruger is the way to go. If you want to change anything there are lots of after market parts for the Ruger and it will have a lot better resale value.

I would suggest a 10/22 they work and they last and last. have had one since 1978 and it has been well used! Rugers warranty is probably the best in the industry and they are simple to work on and there are all the aftermarket parts available you could ever dream of if that is the path you want to go.

The older model 60's are far and away better.
The new ones just seem so cheaply made.

If you can be OK with used, get an older Marlin 60.

if you want a new one - 10/22

I have 3 Marlin Model 60's. One is a 80's vintage. The other 2 are a 50th Anniversary Edition, and a Stainless Steel model with a grey laminated stock, that were purchased in the last 5 years. All 3 are of excellent quality and workmanship. I also have a 70's vintage Ruger 10-22. All 3 Model 60's are FAR more accurate than the Ruger. My Ruger is box stock. However the Ruger has more aftermarket parts available, but the Model 60's are much more accurate as they shoot from the box. So they don't need new barrels, triggers, and everything else before they shoot good.

The 60 tends to be very accurate, much more than a 10/22, however I'd go for the 10/22. They can be a lot of fun, and there are plenty of aftermarket goodies for them.

Out of those two, probably the model 60 as long as I could give it a look over.

If you’re not committed to semi autos and willing to spend a little more, look at CZ.

I'd pick the Ruger, but the Marlin and heck, even the Remington 597 shoots more accurate in my experience than a 10/22. But the 10/22
is the small block Chevy in the rim fire world. It has the most aftermarket support and you can make it great.

I bought both of my sons a Marlin 60 for Christmas this year. I sold one of my hand guns and bought myself a 10/22. Already had a Marlin XT-22 in the safe. Me and my oldest son sighted in the scopes we put on ours. And in my experience in doing this, I agree that the Model 60 was more accurate at the same distance (50 yards). I then compared my older XT-22 to my new 10/22. The XT-22 seemed to get a little better grouping than the 10/22 but both did a solid job. I don't regret my choices and my son enjoys his new toy. I'll be giving my youngest son his Model 60 next week since we couldn't see him for Christmas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Rugers warranty is probably the best in the industry

The funny thing is Ruger doesn't have a written warranty. They're more than generous fixing problems but nothing is in writing.

Marlin for a rifle you just want to shoot and possibly more accurate in general. Ruger if modifications are something in the future.

If you buy the Marlin 60 give it a very good look over. I bought one a while back and after I got home noticed the barrle rifling was messed up pretty badly. Here's the thread about it - LINK

Since the photos no longer show in that thread due to the Photobucket debacle, here's a couple of photos below. I took that rifle back for a refund and got another Marlin 60, but not in stainless steel. The barrel rifling was good on the 2nd one, and I inspected it well before purchase.

I own one of each.

Box stock; I'd take the model 60 for accuracy and a more classic rifle feel.
Interested in aftermarket goodies?; can't beat the 10/22. Bbls, triggers, mags, stocks galore ...

Either will be fine, just decide which way you're going to go.

Which one did you decide on? I found this post interesting as for the past month or so I have been considering buying a .22 rifle. I have several handguns and a .30-.30 but I wanted a .22 rifle just for fun.
I ended up buying a 10/22 carbine, synthetic stock.
Got what I consider a fair deal on the rifle, 25 round magazine, Ruger 10/22 gun bag and 500 rounds on Mini Mags for $300.00 + tax at Academy Sports.
I am pretty loyal to my local gun store but they don't price match and it would have cost me about $50.00 more for everything that I got at Academy.
Shot well out of the box but my old eyes need better sights. I have some fiber optic sights on the way from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: TOMJ
Which one did you decide on? I found this post interesting as for the past month or so I have been considering buying a .22 rifle. I have several handguns and a .30-.30 but I wanted a .22 rifle just for fun.
I ended up buying a 10/22 carbine, synthetic stock.
Got what I consider a fair deal on the rifle, 25 round magazine, Ruger 10/22 gun bag and 500 rounds on Mini Mags for $300.00 + tax at Academy Sports.
I am pretty loyal to my local gun store but they don't price match and it would have cost me about $50.00 more for everything that I got at Academy.
Shot well out of the box but my old eyes need better sights. I have some fiber optic sights on the way from Amazon.

I ended up going with the Marlin 60. I bought it mainly to teach my 14 and 12 year old granddaughters to shoot a rifle. I feel the tube magazine will be simple and easy for them to load. I also like that the Marlin has the last shot ‘bolt hold open’ feature. My local gun shop gave me a good deal. The Marlin 60, 100 rounds of CCI 40 grain ammo and a Simmons 3-9x/32mm 22 mag scope for $225.00 OTD. They also mounted the scope for me at no charge.

It is very windy today but I ran 75 rounds of the CCI 40 grain through the Marlin 60 just plinking around. It ran flawlessly and is a lot of fun. I’ll get to the range next week and fine tune the scope and hopefully will see how it does at 50 yards or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back