Yet another M1 0W-20 grade flavor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were shopping Meijer today so we of course had to check out the auto department. Well, wife didn't but I did.
What to my wondering eyes did appear but M1 EP HM!
Priced the same as regular EP, so a few bucks more than AFE or regular HM.
So, in the 0W-20 grade there are now AFE, HM, AP, EP and EP HM offerings of M1.
Five choices of M1 in this grade alone.
Seems like more than enough, but then I wasn't a marketing major.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We were shopping Meijer today so we of course had to check out the auto department. Well, wife didn't but I did.
What to my wondering eyes did appear but M1 EP HM!
Priced the same as regular EP, so a few bucks more than AFE or regular HM.
So, in the 0W-20 grade there are now AFE, HM, AP, EP and EP HM offerings of M1.
Five choices of M1 in this grade alone.
Seems like more than enough, but then I wasn't a marketing major.

Oh you saw this as well?
smile.gif

Yes my WM had that today along with plenty of other stuff in the high price spread. So as a buyer I will sit on the sideline in the wait for Rollback mode.

Last edited:
To me it is getting a little ridiculous with Mobil 1 products lately. It almost seems like they had some kind of management shakeup, and they're moving the company in a rather odd, product overlapping, wasteful direction.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
To me it is getting a little ridiculous with Mobil 1 products lately. It almost seems like they had some kind of management shakeup, and they're moving the company in a rather odd, product overlapping, wasteful direction.

Surprised too … but look at the Amsoil photo we just got … and there are many 0/5w20 motors running around today.
Heck, it’s the same price I already pay for EP … it can be my second in line oil change for the Fusion as she tops the century mark next month … it’s a 4-1/2 Q motor anyway …

Management shakeup … yes, the new CEO comes from that side of the business … Tillerson was upstream …

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if the Mobil suits finds it cheaper and more effective to divert a few billion from the marketing black hole to fudge formulas a bit, brainstorm a novel application, enter a new SKU and print new labels. This way, it's an assault where it matters- in the aisle. Got a blue sedan made after 2001? Only Mobil 1 makes an oil specifically for blue sedans made after 2001!

All 0w-20s are good so why claim or just rep 1 oil from one certain name you don't really care to name drop other than you are using their oil temporarily. I am running what's listed as or could be a full syn but more likely blend from the honda dealer service and this oil hasn't burned a drop for thousands of miles where as mobil 1 and even Pennzoil products have burned in higher viscosity grades (different car but still, who looks at engine design when they evaluate oil, certainly no one on BITOG)

I would even venture to say, minus engine design component, that if you are burning any oil using 30 weights (10w, 5w) or even higher or anything in between, try a 0w-20 and see if your burning ceases. Keep in mind, I've only used Phillips 66 synthetics made for Honda dealer but you can try any 0w-20 and try it, I know this one doesn't burn and it isn't even considered elite. Maybe it's time to consider all 0w-20s elite status over higher viscosity grades. Shear stable or oil that doesn't burn is important for wear and deposits namely minimizing them cause they can't be eliminated.

Last edited:
Quote:

There is a marketing strategy that has been used by Campbell Soup,
Many varieties to push other brands off the shelf or overwhelm the
buyer.

My 2¢

Why don’t you actually get a dB meter like I did ~ PUP was louder ~ what color parrot are you?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Surprised too … but look at the Amsoil photo we just got … and there are many 0/5w20 motors running around today.
Heck, it’s the same price I already pay for EP … it can be my second in line oil change for the Fusion as she tops the century mark next month … it’s a 4-1/2 Q motor anyway …

Management shakeup … yes, the new CEO comes from that side of the business … Tillerson was upstream …

Yes I saw the Amsoil photo as well. I won't comment.......
10.gif

It should be interesting to see what if any offerings come in retaliation from Pennzoil in the near future.......... Stay tuned.

Well, SOPUS seems disinclined to market even their best synthetic oils as offering extended drain capabilities, even though we all know that PP 0W-20=M1 AFE and that PUP=M1 EP.
I therefore don't expect any Pennzoil extended drain offerings anytime soon even though doing so would involve no more than a change in labeling and website verbiage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back