Sap's-a-Boiling ! (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our second batch (left), slightly darker than the first. Our old evaporator doesn't function properly, so getting the very light colored stuff is difficult. But, it has character! Always fun to enjoy the activities of the changing seasons. Trout and smelt coming up next!

Man, that must smell AMAZING!
20.gif

You can tap Boxelders, they're technically a maple I guess but not widely known as one. The syrup is light and very toffee-like in flavour. Birch trees are supposed to put out a lot of terpenes

We have about 150 taps into 100+ trees. I didn't count closely. This is actually a college club project that I mentor. It is sold, but at slightly inflated prices for fund raising. I just looked on Ebay and you can buy 1 gallon of Michigan maple syrup for $50 dollars per gallon delivered. That's quite a deal.

Other tree species can be tapped: most maple spp., birch, walnut,and few others. I have no experience with this. Sugar maple tends to run around 2% sugar and everything else is less, so even more work is required. Birch is finicky, but I heard that guys with reverse osmosis set-ups can do well with it.

Out east, they are marketing bottled maple sap in an effort to mimic the coconut water craze (IMO). It's sold as Vertical Water: http://www.verticalwater.com/ . Maple root beer is a real treat and I've been known to mix a bit of the half boiled product with a bit of whiskey.

I just finished licking the remains of the pre-bottling filter bag....very heavy, almost molasses type taste. YUMMMMMMMMM
grin.gif
We also hard boiled a dozen eggs in the boiling sap for fun. Great with your favorite hot sauce (Franks for me). The young-uns always have to endure my "can't break a raw egg with your fingers" trick:

Not my video...use the flats of your fingers, not your tips!

My Grandmother and Grandfather had a farm in rural Pennsylvania named Tiffdale. They made maple syrup. My Grandmother told me they would suspend a piece of pork fat over the boiling sap to keep down the foam.

Thanks for sharing that, it's been one of the things that I was amazed at as a kid...and when I grew up, bought the proper (not fake stuff), and it blew my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back