VW 508 Spec-0w20

Have you tried calling VW? Honestly 0W-20 is fine with a shorter OCI just watch the fuel dilution. It’s not a hot rod. Lots of cars put up extremely good UOAs on 0W-20 oil. The only real issue here is price and availability.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Have you tried calling VW? Honestly 0W-20 is fine with a shorter OCI just watch the fuel dilution. It’s not a hot rod. Lots of cars put up extremely good UOAs on 0W-20 oil. The only real issue here is price and availability.

Lot's of cars are not running turbo on that oil. It is a new thing. Until I see regularly 300k on EA888 using 0W20, I would skip.
By the way, VW in Europe is specifying VW508.00/509.00 as long drain oil, while VW 504.00/507.00 is short drain oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Lot's of cars are not running turbo on that oil. It is a new thing. Until I see regularly 300k on EA888 using 0W20, I would skip.
By the way, VW in Europe is specifying VW508.00/509.00 as long drain oil, while VW 504.00/507.00 is short drain oil.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on how much one worries about the warranty factor (I wouldn't worry too much personally) and how long one intends to keep the car. Most folks don't keep their cars longer than 5 years.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on how much one worries about the warranty factor (I wouldn't worry too much personally) and how long one intends to keep the car. Most folks don't keep their cars longer than 5 years.

Again, VW specifies VW 504.00/507.00 for this engine! It is covered under warranty if one uses VW 504.00/507.00 (0/5W30 with HTHS above 3.5).
If OP uses Mobil1 5W30 ESP I am using in BMW< he will be covered under warranty.

Again, VW specifies VW 504.00/507.00 for this engine! It is covered under warranty if one uses VW 504.00/507.00 (0/5W30 with HTHS above 3.5).
If OP uses Mobil1 5W30 ESP I am using in BMW< he will be covered under warranty.

Officially? Or do they specify 504/507 for another VW model that uses the identical E888 engine? I could see how a corrupt company like VW would turn down a warranty claim for that.

Officially? Or do they specify 504/507 for another VW model that uses the identical E888 engine? I could see how a corrupt company like VW would turn down a warranty claim for that.

In manual it says VW 504.00/507.00 could be used.
Also, ecstuning for that engine in new Tiguan sells VW502.00 oils. Would not be surprised that somewhere in the manual it says VW502.00 is also allowed.
Corrupt company like VW cannot deny claim since consumer is protected by Magnusson-Moss act.

I own the car so I’ll tell you the real deal on specs. The manual says 502. Then there is an addendum to the manual that says 508/509. It does say that other vw specs can be used as top off.

Under the hood is a plaque that clearly says only 508/509. So there isn’t really anything that says another oil is acceptable. My choice if I strayed would be 504. Like 508, it is a lower ash and viscosity oil, and yes I know 508 is much lower.

I’d be interested in what other things are special about 508, as if it’s a simple 0w20, I’d prefer to use something like redline or Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I own the car so I’ll tell you the real deal on specs. The manual says 502. Then there is an addendum to the manual that says 508/509. It does say that other vw specs can be used as top off.

Under the hood is a plaque that clearly says only 508/509. So there isn’t really anything that says another oil is acceptable. My choice if I strayed would be 504. Like 508, it is a lower ash and viscosity oil, and yes I know 508 is much lower.

I’d be interested in what other things are special about 508, as if it’s a simple 0w20, I’d prefer to use something like redline or Amsoil.

I already posted lubrizol chart where you can compare spec to other spec.
There is NOTHING special. It is attempt to lower consumption and be compliant with CAFE.
Dye inside is for VW to know you did not use generic 0W20 which is readily available anywhere. That is it.
I told you immediately VW is confusing customers. You yourself now stated it is VW 502.00, but there addendum and under hood VW508.00/509.00.
You are good with VW502.00. I bet if you go to VW and try to by bottle of oil for your car without saying which oil you want they will sell you Castrol 5W40. That is what they will put in your car if you go to do oil change.

Lubrizol chart also shows the 508/509 with HTHS >= 3.5, and the year as 2013. It's possible that Lubrizol hasn't updated the chart and specs properly.

Not defending the use of the new 0W20, just pointing out that the VW specs may be stringent for this oil -- we just don't know yet. We do know that 502 A3/B4 oils work well in these VW engines, and that is what I use in our 2.0TSI GTI.

I already posted lubrizol chart where you can compare spec to other spec.
There is NOTHING special. It is attempt to lower consumption and be compliant with CAFE.
Dye inside is for VW to know you did not use generic 0W20 which is readily available anywhere. That is it.
I told you immediately VW is confusing customers. You yourself now stated it is VW 502.00, but there addendum and under hood VW508.00/509.00.
You are good with VW502.00. I bet if you go to VW and try to by bottle of oil for your car without saying which oil you want they will sell you Castrol 5W40. That is what they will put in your car if you go to do oil change.

Also, ecstuning for that engine in new Tiguan sells VW502.00 oils. Would not be surprised that somewhere in the manual it says VW502.00 is also allowed.
Corrupt company like VW cannot deny claim since consumer is protected by Magnusson-Moss act.

VAG is really balking at the transition to 0W20 eco oil aren't they. Special manufacturer-specific dyes?

Last edited:
I own the car so I’ll tell you the real deal on specs. The manual says 502 . . . .

OK. Castrol 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

VAG is really balking at the transition to 0W20 eco oil aren't they. Special manufacturer-specific dyes?

Specific dyes are so that consumer do not go to Wal Mart and get just any 0W20.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
I own the car so I’ll tell you the real deal on specs. The manual says 502 . . . .

OK. Castrol 0W-40.

Exactly. VW is notorious for misleading oil recommendations.
I can bet dealership uses POS Castrol 5W40.

Read up a bit. Many vw and Audi dealers are being very meticulous about this spec and usimg the correct 0w20. I know my dealer is in the know.

Read up a bit. Many VW and Audi dealers are being very meticulous about this spec and using the correct 0w20. I know my dealer is in the know.

OK. Let's try this another way, Mr. Lewis: Regardless of whether the dealership is chock-a-block with swell guys and Early Adopters of Volkswagen's new-found enthusiasm for 0W-20 weight motor oil, were it my turbocharged EA888 V-Dub, I run Castrol's 0W-40.

Read up a bit. Many vw and Audi dealers are being very meticulous about this spec and usimg the correct 0w20. I know my dealer is in the know.

So, why did you come again to ask question? It seams to me we did not confirm what you wanted to hear so now you are trying to justify your decision making.
Manual says VW502.00. You can by all means use 0W20 VW508.00/509.00. No one is saying you cannot. You car, your money.
However, since manual is saying VW502.00 you are good with that oil. I know I personally would NEVER put 0W20 in EA888.

Ugh...to perscribe oily water for a tweaked turbo engine
smile.gif
only in America... Look like they will be beta testers
grin.gif
nice

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Ugh...to perscribe oily water for a tweaked turbo engine
smile.gif
only in America... Look like they will be beta testers
grin.gif
nice

Same is prescribed for EU, do not worry.

Back