Recommend an oil/filter for 97 Honda Civic HX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm picking up a 97 Honda Civic HX (5 speed) from a friend of mine in a couple of weeks. Car has 212k miles and was his commuter for 100 miles a day for the last 4 years. He's always used whatever 5w30 dino was cheapest and changed it at 5k.

I'm going to be using the car for short trips, mostly 1-5 miles. Might get it on the highway a few times a month. Question is, do I continue to use a dino 5w30 (Would probably do a Supertech HM) or would I be better off running a synthetic? I'm looking for what will give the best protection and offer the best MPG.

If you can do one highway trip per week, that will help a lot
19.gif

That said, any quality oil will do 5k with no problems. You can often get a house brand synthetic on sale for or near the same price as dino. For example, Napa Synthetic goes on sale a few times a year for $3-4/qt and is made by Valvoline.

Sometimes, there are rebates on the premium synthetic oils that bring the price down to near-dino levels.

But if you want the cheapest price with no rebate, Kmart has their Smitty's synthetic blend on sale a few times a year for $7-8 for the 5qt jug
smile.gif

My choice would be the Smitty's oil and a Fram filter (they are much better than they used to be)

I would stick with a good 5/30 I would use PP or Valvoline. I use Purolator Boss filter. If there's no oil leaks. Stay away from high mileage oils

Quaker State HM Synblend 5w30 and Fram Tough Gard. Since you live on 435, hit a QT with non ethanol 87. Gas will sit for awhile in your situation,give it the love.

Yup, there's a QT a few miles away from me that has E0 87. I hadn't considered using it for this, but maybe I will.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Quaker State HM Synblend 5w30 and Fram Tough Gard. Since you live on 435, hit a QT with non ethanol 87. Gas will sit for awhile in your situation,give it the love.

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
Bullwinkle007, why should we stay away from high mileage oils?

HM oils have seal conditioners in them. What happens to the seals after you stop using that oil, is like a drug addict not getting their drugs. They get used to those conditioners, when you stop, sometimes you can start to develop leaks. So if the engine doesn't leak, you don't need that oil. HM was also developed to generate more sales, for the oil company and quick lubes.

I would stick with what has worked for the past 212k miles. Use a good Dino oil like Valvoline or any of the major brands. You really don’t need a Synthetic for this car at this stage.

In many stores, HM oils are the same price as conventional. Also, the oil companies say that you can use HM oils in a brand new engine, and also switch back and forth to regular with no problems whatsoever. The seal conditioners have to meet the ASTM tests, so they won't damage the seals. And when you switch back to non-HM oil, the seal conditioners don't leave the seals and damage them.

Since the Pennzoil rebate is too good to pass up, I bought some Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30. $10 after rebate. Also got a Fram Ultra oil filter. As Marco said, I might as well "Give it some love."

0w-20s cause they don't burn, atleast the one I am using, in my application, isn't whereas 5/30s and even 10/30s have. Fran Tough Guard but if you use 0w-20s, that is synthetic by nature and I would step up to Fram Ultra as it has synthetic media.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
0w-20s cause they don't burn, atleast the one I am using, in my application, isn't whereas 5/30s and even 10/30s have. Fran Tough Guard but if you use 0w-20s, that is synthetic by nature and I would step up to Fram Ultra as it has synthetic media.

0/20 does burn, all oil does, and you will consume more with the more miles you put on the oci, some brands you consume more or less.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007

HM oils have seal conditioners in them. What happens to the seals after you stop using that oil, is like a drug addict not getting their drugs. They get used to those conditioners, when you stop, sometimes you can start to develop leaks.

No....I don't think that is the case. There is oil seal compatibility tests that are required to be passed, for any oil, HM or regular.

I would use Quaker State High Mileage Syn Blend 5W30. Not even a dollar more than Super Tech High Mileage for the 5 quart jug.

Dale

Why try to fix what ain't broken? The car has gone over 200k on nothing but dino oil. Continue with it and change it out regularly. Those engines will go 400k with oil change abuse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back