Is the Oil Refiner better than the Frantz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried the Oil Refiner bypass? For what I have read it is an updated version of the original Frantz bypass filter. Is it better? I am going to purchase a bypass for my 06 Cummins and I was planning on purchasing the Frantz but searching around today I seen the Oil Refiner. I am now on the fence wondering which way to go. Sounds like the Oil Refiner will fit a full roll of TP without having to unroll any which would be much easier. Hopefully some has tried one and can give me a comparison so I can choose which way to go. Thanks

I had not either. Here is the link to the web site http://www.toiletpaperoilfilter.com/thetoiletpaperoilfiltercompany.html. Diesel giant also has a video installing one here https://youtu.be/A54_R-LnPZQ. For what I have read it is a redesign of the Frantz bypass that John Frantz came up with before he died. An updated version I guess. Also found this https://frantzdigitizedlibrary.files.wor...d-dec-1997.pdf. Not much out there about this filter but it is very interesting. It even has internal cooling fins.

I have a Frantz Oil Refiner on one of my work trucks. I got it from Ed Greany who has the patent on this version of the Frantz Filter. The unit is a little larger than the original Frantz units. The main differences are: the center shift is welded to the Filter Can versus being attached to the base, the oil flows through the center (cardboard) sleeve of the Toilet Paper thus you do not have to make sure the center sleeve is tight on the center shaft and there is no need for the "T" wire to pull the toilet paper from the unit. The inlet and outlet hookup is the same as on the original Frantz as is the circular clamp that connects the can portion with the base. I have not had any issues with the Oil Refiner as I have it installed. I get my input line oil flow from a sandwich adapter that retains use of a full flow oil filter. My return line goes to a swivel fitting which is mounted on the engines oil fill cap.

Thanks for the info xtell. Did you have any trouble with leaks? Reason I ask is the only other info I could find about someone using it was the YouTube video that I have a link to above and reading the comments the guy took off the unit because he was tired of it leaking. Does it work just as good as the original? The only concern I have with the design is that the oil flows just through the cardboard center and not through something more, I guess durable. I don’t know what kind of pressure these devices have internally while running but I would be concerned about the oil going through the cardboard at the bottom and not getting filtered instead of flowing all the way to the top and through the paper. I would think you would want a metal tube like the original to get the oil to the top of the TP. Maybe I am wrong, more likely then not I am. Maybe I should just stick with the original Frantz as it has been battle tested by many many people with good results.

No issues with leaks on the Oil Refiner I'm using. I use Kirkland (Costco) TP as the filter.

Originally Posted By: InfernoRedBeast
Thanks for the info xtell. Did you have any trouble with leaks? Reason I ask is the only other info I could find about someone using it was the YouTube video that I have a link to above and reading the comments the guy took off the unit because he was tired of it leaking. Does it work just as good as the original? The only concern I have with the design is that the oil flows just through the cardboard center and not through something more, I guess durable. I don’t know what kind of pressure these devices have internally while running but I would be concerned about the oil going through the cardboard at the bottom and not getting filtered instead of flowing all the way to the top and through the paper. I would think you would want a metal tube like the original to get the oil to the top of the TP. Maybe I am wrong, more likely then not I am. Maybe I should just stick with the original Frantz as it has been battle tested by many many people with good results.

My understanding from reading is Franzt leaking in recent model vehicles is due to higher oil pressures in the newer engines. The fix is simple... a smaller opening into the Frantz unit. The website sells a fitting with a smaller hole in it.

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
My understanding from reading is Franzt leaking in recent model vehicles is due to higher oil pressures in the newer engines. The fix is simple... a smaller opening into the Frantz unit. The website sells a fitting with a smaller hole in it.

Every Frantz I've seen always had the 1/16" oil restriction on the outlet which means the canister and o-ring is handling full engine oil pressure. I modified one of my Frantz filters so the restriction was on the inlet greatly reducing oil pressure on the canister and o-ring. I seldom drive that car so I cannot tell if changing the location of the restriction matters much.

The Frantz Filters ~ made by SKI ~ have the oil restriction ~ on the outlet ~ I just installed one ~ and the outlet restriction seemed larger than 1/16" ~ didn't measure ~ just used ~ the super human eye ball ``` I prefer the restriction to be on entry to the filter ~ or even at the place where the oil leaves the engine ```

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back