John Force Crashes at Phoenix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tether broke, and I'm watching on youtube now... (and people you don't know how to FILM with a phone?)

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Wonder what oil he had in the engine.

You think it ever really was Castrol GTX?

Of coarse he used Castrol! Today he had Peak! Oil is not even an issue of failure in those engines. My brother ran 2 years of Top Alcohol funny car, NHRA TA/FC division 7 and always used Lucus because they sponsored everyone, and gave everyone massive amounts of oil. My brother used it in his truck, car, equipment, everything.

Think about what his sponsor would say if they were not filling the motor up with peak oil after teardown, reassy? You guys must just be having some fun! lol, dry sense of humor...

Maybe they put Pennzoil in some Peak bottles before they arrive at the races! That is Don Schumacher racing sponsor....lol, they have PPUP in the motor!=:)

Originally Posted By: 4WD

GTX, until they came out with Syntec...

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Originally Posted By: 4WD

GTX, until they came out with Syntec...

I doubt that …

Well, now that I really think about it, the only real requirement is straight 50 or 60 weight, so that pretty much weeds out the synthetics doesn't it. I don't know if Peak makes a 50/60 straight weight, and if you guys think that "regular" dino oil cannot keep a fuel car together you might want to go to an NHRA event and ask for yourself. They do not use Red line or Amsoil if that's what your thinking...lol, maybe Royal Purple! =:)

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Glad to hear he was ok. Scary seeing the parachutes get tangled up like that.

Yea, it was a good one alright! But I'm pretty sure JF is happy it didn't turn out like the crash he had with Kenny Bernstein!

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/latest/201...2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=

This paragraph is down near the bottom, looks like DSR has gone to a PUP oil.

“We were seeing some issues on our wear protection and some of our friction protection with previous oils,” said Knudsen. “We weren’t quite getting the film and the oil in there between the rods and the bearings that we would like. We were seeing more and more wear. They were getting thinner and thinner as we measured them so we decided to make the switch because of the PurePlus® Technology. Now our bearings look the best that they have in years, so we are going to continue down that path and hopefully win more races.”

Propaganda? The old saying, oil, is oil. They only have so many options, there is no special sauce made for Top Fuel...lol

Last edited:
Racing is dangerous. I talked to one of John's crew members a shortly after he was taken to the hospital, and he was declared okay, and was released from the hospital. He actually came back to the track to celebrate Courtney's win.

As for oil used, well, lets just say that what the teams claim they use publicly, usually due to sponsor obligations, may not be what actually is poured into the engine.

Last edited:
I got to meet John at a Chevy only event at IRP last year. I’m much more of an oval track fan so I told him I knew more about the Rahal family than his but that I consider him the “AJ Foyt of drag racing”. He seemed confused by those comments. Glad he’s OK.

Last edited:
John Force is a stand up guy. What people love the most about him is the money never changed him. Sure he lives in a bigger, fancier house. And drives much nicer, more expensive cars. But the money never changed him personally. He is still the same person who was scrounging for sponsors, and couldn't win a race for love or money back in the early 80's and before.

His true love of the sport is unequaled. Even today with him being well into his 60's, and having gone through a plethora of dangerous wrecks and fires. Fans love him because they can very easily relate to him. As opposed to Don Schumacher who changes his team shirts every 15 minutes, depending on what car he's sponsoring on any given run. Don't get me wrong, I like both Don and Tony. But as long as Force is around, he'll be the king of the sport. And the NHRA will lose an all but irreplaceable asset once he's gone.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Racing is dangerous. I talked to one of John's crew members a shortly after he was taken to the hospital, and he was declared okay, and was released from the hospital. He actually came back to the track to celebrate Courtney's win.

As for oil used, well, lets just say that what the teams claim they use publicly, usually due to sponsor obligations, may not be what actually is poured into the engine.

Glad to hear John made it back to the track for the party! He is tough as nails, and I'm not talking about the type Courtney and Brittney put paint and sparkles on! I bet he was [censored], he won that round. Jonnie Lindberg was not happy in the interview, he stated Jim Head Racing does not have a second car.

Can you give us a little insight as to what type of fluid they are using now days, since this is BITOG, and can't seem to let something like this go un obsessed, since OCD rules this site.

Still 50/60 straight?

"billt460" You have class

Last edited:
JHR is a (relatively) lower dollar operation. They don't have the spares like DSR, JFR, Kalitta's, etc. Unfortunately for JHR, there are no guarantees in racing. One of my best buds burned his FC to the ground years ago. That was the end of owning his own car.

As for oil, 70 weight has been the norm for at least the last 15 years in TF/D. Redline Oil 70 wt Nitro drag oil is popular with several teams.

Wow, It appears that I was wrong about the oil fuel cars use huh, I never heard of 70 weight! But then I never had seen 50 or 60 straight weight till I saw cases of Lucas in my brothers garage. 70 weight, [censored] near gear oil!

I googled redline 70w and it appears to have been developed for top fuel. I had never heard of oil related failures before, mainly detonating, hydraulic cylinders, and pushed head gaskets. Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
you have to realize whats all going on in that motor

1) each cylinder is creating 1400hp or more...which means the extremely thin layer of oil on the wrist pin and crank bearings have to not be pushed out under this force and maintain their use for the rotation

2) to help maintain their use, the viscosity has to be way up because the unburnt alky/nitro is diluting the heck out of the oil thus trying to ruin the viscosity and oils usefulness in many ways

3) the oil may also be used as a coolant (ie piston crown undersides...) to help control other aspects of
the motors opertation

and o2se has mentioned this several times over the years

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Wow, It appears that I was wrong about the oil fuel cars use huh, I never heard of 70 weight! But then I never had seen 50 or 60 straight weight till I saw cases of Lucas in my brothers garage. 70 weight, [censored] near gear oil!

I googled redline 70w and it appears to have been developed for top fuel. I had never heard of oil related failures before, mainly detonating, hydraulic cylinders, and pushed head gaskets. Thanks for the insight!

Here's a viscosity chart that shows the viscosity of Motor oil and Gear oil, relative to each other.

Redline Nitro 70 Motor oil has approx. the same viscosity @100°C, as a 140 wt Gear oil.

visc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back