Super cleaning windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
My windshield has swirl marks and light scratches that cause glare at night from oncoming headlights. I'm interested in "super cleaning" my windshield to see if it helps clear up blemishes and also minimizes wiper chatter. I've never done anything to glass outside of using glass cleaner so please let me know if this procedure sounds okay:

1. Rinse windshield and dry.
2. Clean with glass cleaner.
3. Clay bar using quick detailer as lube.
4. Clean residue with glass cleaner.
5. Apply some cleaner wax by hand (I don't have a DA polisher). My hope is that the polisher part of the cleaner wax will remove the light scratches and the wax part will keep a slick surface to bead rain water up and off.

What do you guys think?

That might make the wiper chatter worse. You cant get even coverage by hand and most “polish” waxes have no abrasives in them only chemical cleaners if that. The wax it leaves behind may cause more wiper chatter than a dry windwhield.

If you are insistant on trying to polish your windshield i would use atleast a compound like meguiars ultimate compound. It finishes out nice and clear on headlights and a foam pad on a DA.

The harborfreight da is cheap and does a good job for this kind of work.

I think the residual wax from the various chemicals will haze over pretty quickly and you'll end up with a blotchy mess.

I clean mine with plain water and a microfiber towel. Works every time. You could consider Bon Ami if it's available where you are. It cleans glass without leaving a residue.

Last edited:
Clay bar alone should be sufficient. Cleaner wax is not a good idea on a windshield. You can also try one of the Nanoskin AutoScrub sponges which are supposedly even better than clay bar (they're similar to the Magic Eraser): https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-019-AutoScrub-Grade-Sponge/dp/B00CUAWJ6G

If you really have bad scratches or whatever, take it to a professional and they can use something like cerium oxide to polish the glass.

What I found works best and nothing has changed my mind is my moms system.
Using crumpled newspaper ,the kind that comes in your driveway for free, the cheapest paper and printing that smears on your fingers, the more colour the better.
wet windshield with pure ammonia dilute with water ( i refined this to de-ionized water) 30% ammonia the rest water.
Spray on and dry with the inky news/flyer paper ,wipe until it squeaks .
No soap because that is what streeks,the ink is a micro polish.
works or I'll refund your money
whistle.gif

Wondering how compound for clear coat would work? Or rottenstone?

YouTube shows using an extremely fine steel wool.

For cleaning discolored headlight lenses I use 2,000 and 3,000 grit wet sandpaper. That works great.

The OP is dealing with swirl marks and light scratches, there is not one "cleaning" or "cleansing" product out there that is going to fix this.

1) wash windshield
2) wipe down with lacquer thinner
3) wipe with glass cleaner and newspaper (then if window still feels rough)
4) clay bar
5) glass cleaner wiped off with newspaper

What's your insurance deductible? Sometimes glass has no or a very low deductible. You could probably get a big rock chip or crack in the windshield and just get it replaced for little cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back