Swapped Out Bunch of Indoor Flood Bulbs to LED ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just swapped out 7 old 65W incandescent indoor floods in the ceiling recessed nacelles in downstairs and upstairs halls, plus 5 rather annoying (slow to come up to full brightness) CFL indoor floods in the kitchen for Soft White LED's. The new light looks perfectly like incandescent Soft White. Lowe's had six packs on clearance for $17.98/ea. China made of course but so were the pricier Sylvania's with same specs.

Leaving them on a while in case it helps run them in or whatever, LoL. Plus I like seeing them on and knowing that all 12 are only drawing 108 watts
thumbsup2.gif

I went to all LEDs some time ago, but paid a little more than $3 each. I went with daylight to get a little more illumination for the wattage I got... once I replaced every bulb, I saw a reduction of about $9-11 per month on my electric bill vs. CFLs (measured of course when not using HVAC in spring/fall.

I agree, I am much more tolerant of my son leaving his light on knowing it's only 8 watts vs. 60!
smile.gif

Interior is all light tones else I might have gone w/ Daylight, but Soft White is "just right". Excuse the bachelor pad look ...

Dollar Tree has 60W led bulbs for $1 each.. i got a few to replace CFL at my moms house... no idea if they will last a month or years.

I replaced all my outdoor lights to yellow led bug lights from walmart- they stay on 24/7 so far about 2 yrs thru heat/freezing cold

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Dollar Tree has 60W led bulbs for $1 each.. i got a few to replace CFL at my moms house... no idea if they will last a month or years.

I replaced all my outdoor lights to yellow led bug lights from walmart- they stay on 24/7 so far about 2 yrs thru heat/freezing cold

I dont know why merica loves to sell the 60w ?Lowes is like that too, the difference w led is only a few more watts- what 9 increases to 11 0r 13?
i hate 60 w - too dim

I’m in the process of replacing all mine. As the halogen’s burn out I replace the lights in each room with LED’s. I’m not in a huge rush as the exrtra heat from the halogens still helps to heat to heat my house and at 8 US cents per kWhr the heat is actually cheaper than the propane I use to heat my house in this rural setting. That will change this summer when the AC fires up. And no I am not going to change the bulbs back to halogen each winter LOL.

Did the same in our place. Amazing how much heat them old floods put out. Have the old incandescent bulbs on for a couple minutes and they are hot. Led bulbs never even get warm.

My Dollar tree has two packs of 100 watt equivalent LEDs. I replaced all of my outside lights with them.

I have had a few LED's for a year now. None have burned out. The ones I bought claimed something like a 22 year life. A couple weeks I replace our three way bulbs in our laps with LED three ways. They seem to be working just fine. 40/60/100 Watt equivalents they burn 3.5w/7w/14.5 watts. We have 4 of these lamps so we're seeing a little drop in the power bill just with these.

For my regular sized bulbs, every time an incandescent broke, I replaced it with a CFL. I don't like how the CFL take time to warm up, especially as they age.

Now everytime a CFL stops working, I'm replacing it with a LED. So far I have not had to replace a LED and I like their lack of heat output and how they come on instantly.

The price of LED has come down a lot over just a few years.

Those flood bulbs, if located in recessed "high hats" can be replaced with flush LED's. These parts replace the reflector and outer ring, for a very clean, all new look.

Interestingly, they can be found in everything from 40W equiv, to 200W equiv.

NOTE: I love dimmable LED's, as they maintain color temperature as you dim. This is fantastic, if one sets up a room with way too much light, (useful for cleaning during daytime) and places the dimmer at a more reasonable point for normal use.

My master bath is this way. One switch, with a slide dimmer. Sure, it's way too bright, with 9ea, 100W equiv bulbs. But I never use it on full bright. And run it at 25% brightness at night. Same pleasing color temperature and room feel, regardless of the time.

Lowes had 16packs of the 4ft florescent T8 tube style for 40$

14w 1600 lumen

Replaced my garage tubes, they were newish 32watt 2200 lumen, but would take 5min to warm up if they even lit up in winter.

now instant on. Brightness is about 90% of the max from the old tubes.. and less than half power.+instant.

With the tombstone angle in the fixtures the leds shine directly down..

much more efficient than the 45degree angle tombstones in the kitchen fixture.

I'd call it a win.

Available in 4000k 5000k and 6000k color temps.

4000k is bright white.. just about perfect. 5000k is "daylight" kinda off white/blue tint, 6000k is ZOMG who likes this color blue tint (terrible to me)

for comparison normal "soft white" is 2700k, some "bright white" is 3500k

4pk 12.49
16pk 40$
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-4-Pac...Bulb/1000264747

Originally Posted By: edwardh1

I dont know why merica loves to sell the 60w ?Lowes is like that too, the difference w led is only a few more watts- what 9 increases to 11 0r 13?
i hate 60 w - too dim

Simple trick: Don't go by the wattage replacement. Go by the lumens being output and the color temperature you want. For example, the brighter "65W" BR30 Feit bulbs I just bought are 750 lumens and 11.5W at 2700K (Soft White). Typically, the BR30 LED bulbs would be 650 lumens and 9.5W or so. Anyway, the Feits replaced two Philips BR30 65W incandescent bulbs that blew out after only two months. The Feits are noticeably brighter than the Philips.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Those flood bulbs, if located in recessed "high hats" can be replaced with flush LED's. These parts replace the reflector and outer ring, for a very clean, all new look.

Not sure what these look like, are you saying the flush type bulbs are wider and articulated at the business end and thus flush fit the initial opening of the high hat can?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Not sure what these look like, are you saying the flush type bulbs are wider and articulated at the business end and thus flush fit the initial opening of the high hat can?

probably similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Thinnest-Dimmable-Lighting-Required/dp/B01N981XT2

Originally Posted By: Rand
Lowes had 16packs of the 4ft florescent T8 tube style for 40$

14w 1600 lumen

Replaced my garage tubes, they were newish 32watt 2200 lumen, but would take 5min to warm up if they even lit up in winter.

now instant on. Brightness is about 90% of the max from the old tubes.. and less than half power.

I saw those and tried them, too. They worked on one fixture. The problem was, the ballasts were bad on the others. I replaced one ballast and it worked. However, I realized it was much cheaper to buy LED tubes that don’t need ballasts. The Lowe's tubes will be useless when the ballasts burn out. I found out how to bypass the ballasts, and got bulbs on Amazon for about half the price.

Last edited:
I just replaced an LED bulb in the light fixture over the table. Dated 12/15... so much for lasting 10 years or 20,000 hours or whatever. I started replacing CFLs with LEDs about that time and decided to date them to see how long they last, this isn't the first one I've had to replace. Not dollar store bulbs either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back