New WM oil filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
I was just on there web site and they have mine in stock, ST8...Looks like about the same price they always were $2.84...
Anyone cut one of these open yet? I noticed for my application they added 2 more inlet holes, and the holes appear to be drilled at an angle...
confused.gif

Walmart

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
No I didnt not with inlet holes drilled at an angle... Show me one of these post's...

They are not drilled at an angle.

It's two different steel plates with holes in them.

Just one more reason why to NOT run these!

Then the picture is deceiving...It sure look's like like a thick plate with angled holes...Thought it was strange never seen such a filter...

I’m thinking GM came up with the E core. The plastic is lighter than steel and since they made 10 million filters per year, and they were .2 ozs lighter per filter they saved 2 million ozs of weight that translated to a lowering of their fleet gas mileage buy 0.003 mpg and that was good . (all calculations are made up).

lol.gif

Last edited:
I stopped by both of my local WM today neither one had these new filters. In fact one of them was still trying to sell the old filters for $2.84. Neither had any good deals at all. No Walmart sale to my family today.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'd rather have a metal center tube than a plastic cage.
I would be less bothered by the plastic IF the openings were a little smaller or had a "X" pattern opening instead of the square or rectangular so the filter media could not push through (as it has on other e-cores).

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'd rather have a metal center tube than a plastic cage.
I would be less bothered by the plastic IF the openings were a little smaller or had a "X" pattern opening instead of the square or rectangular so the filter media could not push through (as it has on other e-cores).

Yep, eCore center tubes are fine if designed properly. When they first came out there were issues with wide cage windows and blown out media. Louver center tubes are fine too, if they are formed correctly during manufacturing - always inspect before buying.

One thing I'm still not comfortable with is combo valves.

Champ Lab said the cage is 2X stronger than a steel core. It was in their feature list on the e core. I like the updated e core, always have, always will.
laugh.gif
Thousands are stuck on cars in shops every day. Better than supporting China's manufacturing empire. These new ST's are going to ding Fram's shelf sales at WM I bet. The white paint ones weren't eye catching enough, the blue is better. The blue looks OE I want to buy one. People are
hooked.gif
on anything new with new color paint.

Will definitely buy these. Both the cars in my sig see normal driving 5k mile changes. Seems like a fine filter for that use once I finish these bosch distance plus filters I nabbed at Wal-Mart clearance last summer.

I’m thinking variations on the E core will implement a type of plastic cage in future designs. I liken it to the use of high tech plastics in auto construction in general. No real reason that cage has to be made of metal. Witness plastic valve covers, plastic manofilds, plastic pressurized radiator overflow bottles (maybe a bad example), plastic radiator end caps. A little plastic cage is a no brainer. Might as well accept it because it is coming.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
No I didnt not with inlet holes drilled at an angle... Show me one of these post's...

They are not drilled at an angle.

It's two different steel plates with holes in them.

Just one more reason why to NOT run these!
The "angled" holes are actually the base end bypass/ADBV valve (combo valve), the Ecore has come a long way since it's introduction. Not sure about running 10K on one, though!

The eCore center tube might reduce the delta-p by a hair (less than 1 PSI) at redline (very high oil flow conditions). But with a positive displacement oil pump it really won't matter in terms of oil supply to the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back