Oil choice for new to me 07 escape V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ima end up buying that 07 eacape from work this week. Has 109k on it and looks like its had most of its oil changes done as at my job. Under the oil fill cap is not clean but not slugged. Kinda in between. Could use a good cleaning. Has almost 2k on it since i last changed the oil and is almost 1Q Low. No oil leaks, trans fluid is brown with no burnt smell to it. Not sure if its low a quart or it wasnt filled up all the way last oil change. All i did was throw oil in it and close the hood. I either put 5.5Q or 6 in it. Dont remeber but i did use the FL500 instead of the FL820.

So when i buy it ima top off the oil with a Q of atf and run it for a few hundred miles then i need to choose what oil i want to use in it. Car will prob be short tripped and has a 6Q capacity. Its been using motorcraft syn blend 5w20 for a lot if its last oil changes. I was kinda thinking a fram ultra and maybe mobil1 0w30.

Last edited:
The front cover seals on these are known to leak and the repair is expensive. So to stay ahead of the issue I’d suggest going with the high-mileage oil of your choice. High-mileage oils are also supposed to clean a bit better so may help on that front, too.

The engine is spec’d for 5w-20, which seems to work fine for most folks. But a 5w-30 wouldn’t hurt, especially if there’s some oil consumption. Otherwise, the V6 doesn’t seem to be at all fussy about oil choice, especially compared to the current crop of TGDI engines.

Originally Posted By: Danh
The front cover seals on these are known to leak and the repair is expensive. So to stay ahead of the issue I’d suggest going with the high-mileage oil of your choice. High-mileage oils are also supposed to clean a bit better so may help on that front, too.

The engine is spec’d for 5w-20, which seems to work fine for most folks. But a 5w-30 wouldn’t hurt, especially if there’s some oil consumption. Otherwise, the V6 doesn’t seem to be at all fussy about oil choice, especially compared to the current crop of TGDI engines.
front cover is dry. Its been using synthetic blend for a while so im thinking syn blend or synthetic.

Don't dilute your oil with atf, it does not clean any better and oil. Few additives in atf.

When i had an 01 3.0 i used 0W30 and 5w30.

I'd change the trans fluid as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
All the ATF is going to do is tint your oil red.

Yep. 10w30 HDEO like Rotella or Delo would be my choice.

Don't clean! Continue with the MC. If you clean the timing cover and oil pan might start leaking, well known issue. Mine started after changing the PCV at 100k. So unless you have consumption issue just clean it and put it back.

Were you able to negotiate the $3000.00 asking price from your work? You say the tranny fluid is brownish but not burnt? Time to drain and refill the tranny fluid ASAP. Why not go the High Mileage SN oil route to clean and condition your seals. PCV like mentioned earlier and wonder if the spark plugs are still the originals from factory?

Dale

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Were you able to negotiate the $3000.00 asking price from your work? You say the tranny fluid is brownish but not burnt? Time to drain and refill the tranny fluid ASAP. Why not go the High Mileage SN oil route to clean and condition your seals. PCV like mentioned earlier and wonder if the spark plugs are still the originals from factory?

Dale

3k with a full detail. Kbb for 5.2-6.4k in good condition around here between private party and dealer pricing. So i plan on selling my taurus 4 1.5k im only into it for 1.5k and is say thts pretty good.

Last edited:
Isn't that the Duratec 3.0 engine? Those were pretty good, I don't think you need to do anything besides change the oil. I had a duratec in a previous car, got over 200k on it and mostly ran the spec 5w20, once in a while 5w30 when it was on sale.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Isn't that the Duratec 3.0 engine? Those were pretty good, I don't think you need to do anything besides change the oil. I had a duratec in a previous car, got over 200k on it and mostly ran the spec 5w20, once in a while 5w30 when it was on sale.
yup 3.0.

The 3.0 Duratec was specced for 5w30 in the UK, though it was not very common.

The Police had Mondeos with the 3.0 and they were robust and reliable.

I would run a decent quality 5w30 Full Synthetic oil

I really miss my 08 Escape V6 3.0 - same engine you have in the 07. It had a bit over 200k and sounded and ran great, very smooth engine and had plenty of power. I had some oil consumption and after changing the PCV valve, no more consumption. Sold that Escape to my coworkers daughter, she seems happy with it.

ANYWAY before I ramble on too much. Stick with a 5w30 full synthetic for piece of mind. I was running Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w-30 with a Wix filter with no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back