What type of material for oil drain plug & washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it okay to use an aluminum drain plug in a steel oil pan? What about using a stainless steel drain plug in an aluminum oil pan? I'm assuming that mixing two different materials may cause corrosion. Also, I've noticed drain plug washers come in steel, aluminum, and copper, but I'm not sure which is best to use.

You can use both those in the applications you posted, Personally I am not a fan of aluminum drain plugs or plastic washers. Aluminum and copper washers are good the steel ones I have seen have some sort of rubber seal and are also okay, if it were just plain steel I wouldn't use it.

In salt water - do not mix.

In an oil pan threads - Corrosion will never ever ever ever ever ever ever happen. Ever.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You can use both those in the applications you posted, Personally I am not a fan of aluminum drain plugs or plastic washers. Aluminum and copper washers are good the steel ones I have seen have some sort of rubber seal and are also okay, if it were just plain steel I wouldn't use it.

Yes … I buy copper washer assortment packs … can’t go wrong if you don’t over torque them …
Can be handy for wiring too …

I've had cars with plain steel, plain aluminum, and plastic-coated aluminum drain washers. None ever leaked or required replacement for any other reason. The plain aluminum one gradually became thinner, so after several hundred thousand miles, it couldn't fall off the plug---a good thing.

Some of the recent cars on the European market have plastic drain plugs. Guess what happens when you try to undo it on a hot engine?.
Nice scam methinks....

Claud.

I've used aluminum drain plug gaskets in the last six Toyotas and Hondas and corrosion is not a problem. Use a new gasket, torque to 33 ft.lbs. or whatever and no problems,never.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Some of the recent cars on the European market have plastic drain plugs. Guess what happens when you try to undo it on a hot engine?...

Let me guess... it comes off and oil comes out?

I've got a 2016 Ford Mustang V8 with a plastic drain plug - 1/3 of a turn and it's out, 1/3 of a turn and it clicks back in. The challenge is that it's about an inch in diameter and 10 quarts of hot oil comes out REALLY FAST.

Some of the recent cars on the European market have plastic drain plugs. Guess what happens when you try to undo it on a hot engine?.

Ever use one? They're great!

Nice scam methinks....

Claud.

They are in composite pans AFAIK but I guess there is no reason they couldn't be used in steel or aluminum, all plastics are not weak or junk.

This 5.3L two piece does add another gasket but puts the plug in steel. Also like how the plug and the filter are right behind the belly shield so it stays in place for oil change. Does this access the screen or what?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Ever use one? They're great!

What is it that makes them great?.
I've yet to come across an oil drain plug that gave me cause to think it was even slightly above average, never mind great.

Claud.

I can't say I've ever seen an aluminum washer with a steel pan.

You wouldn't want to use SS for a washer. Too hard and wouldn't crush.

Find an OE washer for your vehicle and use that style.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back