Anyone own a 3rd generation Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

I own a 2017 Tacoma and have zero issues. However, I do see that Consumer Reports hates it so I am curios about the experience of others. I have been on many Tacoma forums and it seems to be 50/50.

Why does CR hate it? I mean, I could hate a truck for its truck-like ride--but if I were to be honest, should I expect car-like ride from a truck?

I'd bet the new V6 is the reason for the less than stellar rating. It has some wacky gearing where you really have to rev up the engine to get power so it feels "off" in a truck.

One of my relatives has a 2018 with the 4cyl and it is well built and quite functional. They did a lot of needed improvements over the 2nd Gen (which I own) and with the 2018s you get the fancy driving safety features like auto highbeams, LDW, and collision avoidance in cruise control.

There are better trucks out there for the money. The Colorado/Canyon being one of them. I just wish they made it with a manual.

Used Tacoma’s are a joke. Way overpriced, mostly rust buckets with no power. I do like that you can get them with a stick, but then they can’t tow very much. I just don’t see the appeal.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
There are better trucks out there for the money. The Colorado/Canyon being one of them. I just wish they made it with a manual.

Used Tacoma’s are a joke. Way overpriced, mostly rust buckets with no power. I do like that you can get them with a stick, but then they can’t tow very much. I just don’t see the appeal.

They DO make the Colorado with a stick. The best part about buying a vehicle with a stick is that you've just eliminated 95% of the car theives who are too stupid to drive anything but an automatic!

smile.gif

The other thing I like about the Colorado is that it comes with 4 wheel disc brakes...which the Tacoma doesn't even offer.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

They DO make the Colorado with a stick. The best part about buying a vehicle with a stick is that you've just eliminated 95% of the car theives who are too stupid to drive anything but an automatic!

smile.gif

The other thing I like about the Colorado is that it comes with 4 wheel disc brakes...which the Tacoma doesn't even offer.

Ed

You can only get the Colorado with a 2wd open diff if you get the stick, and the 4-cylinder. Complete garbage combination.

Last edited:

smile.gif

Ed

You can only get the Colorado with a 2wd open diff if you get the stick, and the 4-cylinder. Complete garbage combination.

I *think* they offer the diesel motor with the manual transmission. I think.

Ed

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Nothing can beat a Tacoma. Best truck for the price. Made in Texas. Legendary Toyota reliability.

It may be nitpicking, but a lot of them are made in Mexico.

smile.gif

Ed

I *think* they offer the diesel motor with the manual transmission. I think.

Ed

Nope. 6-speed automatic only.

It's funny because in every other country you can get the truck with a manual, with all powertrains. It's okay, I just took my business elsewhere. Maybe I'll buy one in 10 years if I can find one that isn't rusted out by then.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Does Mexican made affect the quality ?

Company builds its factory provides tried and true machinery, sources quality materials and production methods, trains the workers properly and implements good QC why would it be inferior?

Originally Posted By: Trav

Company builds its factory provides tried and true machinery, sources quality materials and production methods, trains the workers properly and implements good QC why would it be inferior?

32.gif

Discussing auto manufacturing in Mexico is probably a broader topic that should be discussed in a seperate thread. The OP wanted to discuss the experience of others, as in how is your Tacoma doing. With all respect.

SF

Last edited:
Consumer Reports is a "Pay for Play" publication.

Originally Posted By: 007
I own a 2017 Tacoma and have zero issues. However, I do see that Consumer Reports hates it so I am curios about the experience of others. I have been on many Tacoma forums and it seems to be 50/50.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Originally Posted By: Trav

32.gif

Discussing auto manufacturing in Mexico is probably a broader topic that should be discussed in a seperate thread. The OP wanted to discuss the experience of others, as in how is your Tacoma doing. With all respect.

SF

I disagree, the fact that some are manufactured in Mexico is being mentioned makes it IMO a perfectly reasonable topic when it comes to this vehicle.
IF the topic were auto manufacturing in general then yes a separate thread may be in order.

It may or may not. I actually owned a Mexican made third-gen Tacoma myself and it didn't matter to me. I only pointed it out because the comment was made that it is built in America and to some people that really matters. I believe those people have the right to know that they're not all made in America so you'll want to check before buying one. I believe that poster just confused the Tundra (which I believe is fully built in Texas) with the Tacoma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back