Walmart oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last trip to Walmart, I noticed that they had no more Mobil Super oils on the shelves; big or small bottles. Also, they seemed not to be stocking other varieties of oils as well; curtain viscosities and such. Any one have ideas on what they are doing? Love their prices but their selection isn't too good at all.

Yup, Walmart is implementing their regular stocking and planogram changes, which can vary based on region and by store.

Over in the sales and promotions subforum, we've seen a variety of things such as Mobil Super, some of the European spec oils, etc... go on clearance over the past month or so, depending on store. Here's a post noting similar things.

For another example, it appears Wix got underbid by Champion Labs to manufacture some of the Super Tech oil filters- so some of Wix ones got clearanced for $2 and many Super Tech filters appear to be Champion Ecores now.
Also, around here the Super Tech oil jug design has changed, there's ST 0W-20, and the bottles are no longer marked with WPP/WSE/WNE. (But they still feature the Warren-style ">>>" notch in the bottom right front corner of the jug...)

Wal Mart is a brutal negotiator with their suppliers.They are always demanding to pay less,and as such some suppliers lose out and they source from new ones.WIth WM you never know what your getting.Check out the book "The man who said no to Wal Mart".His company went out of business a few years later and got sold off.Now its products are made outside of the US.All because he said "NO" to WAL MART.

Need to beware of quality of some products. Manufacturers have been known to ship their "second-rate" products to Walmart while keeping their "first-rate" products for other store that carry their name products. They win the low bid for Walmart and try to save money on those.

Yeah, some Walmart locations have a much better selection as well as much better stocking of product than do others.
Maybe the well stocked stores move a lot of oil and so more attention is paid to that aisle, or it may be that the stores with depleted shelves move so much oil that they can't keep up with it.
Anyway, there is no consistency in the selection or stocking of motor oil among Walmart locations, even though an empty shelf is a cardinal sin in retailing.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Could just be your local store. The one I frequent in Niagara Falls NY has a huge selection.

I'll have to hit that one up if I'm feeling brave!

The super wally out by me in Hamburg NY has a horrible selection of oil/filters. Basically no ATFs, etc.

Walmart stocks what sells. Unfortunately some stores are in areas where few people tackle changing their own fluids.
Target use to have a broad array of oil and filters and are down to about two choices now and no filters.

It’s crazy but my Walmart never discounts the Super Tech oil. You can get Valvoline and Quaker State much cheaper. So far they still have Mobil Super. They never have Valvoline Max Life ATF and they have way too much empty space. I guess the manager is not a car guy.

Last edited:
Interesting comments on Walmart’s stock differing by who might be changing their own oil. I might head out to one of the sketchy parts of town to check their inventory. My favorite is a strip near the wrecking yards where there is an over abundance of auto part stores. Forest Lawn, here I come.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vwalburn
Need to beware of quality of some products. Manufacturers have been known to ship their "second-rate" products to Walmart while keeping their "first-rate" products for other store that carry their name products. They win the low bid for Walmart and try to save money on those.

Although brand consistency varies store to store, for the sake of this thread, oil chemistry/quality of Walmart sold motor oil is the same as anywhere else. This has been hashed and rehashed here before.

If a company got caught doing that, there would be legal [censored] to pay, starting with false advertising. That sounds like a rumor started by someone with an axe to grind against Wal Mart, or simply someone having a what-if thought that turned into a story.

Walmart as well as other huge retail chains clear out inventory depending on what earnings quarter they are in.

More or less they clear out inventory, then restock. its that time of year.

AS far as Supertech, the 5w20 is on sale right now for $8.98 5qt container.
Super Tech Rollback, Click

Lets face it, no one beats Walmart prices as far as everyday pricing unless you want to fool around with rebates ect and SuperTech oil is just as good as any oil on the market, meaning any properly designed engine will last longer then the vehicle with Supertech.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
SuperTech oil is just as good as any oil on the market, meaning any properly designed engine will last longer then the vehicle with Supertech

Some engine designs are definitely FAR more tolerant of cheap oils than others.

It is inventory time. The WalMarts in my area as well as other stores are performing their inventory right now.

The oil and any other branded products like soap and food are the same at Walmart as they are everywhere else.

Originally Posted By: vwalburn
On my last trip to Walmart, I noticed that they had no more Mobil Super oils on the shelves; big or small bottles. Also, they seemed not to be stocking other varieties of oils as well; curtain viscosities and such. Any one have ideas on what they are doing? Love their prices but their selection isn't too good at all.

If you look on the online site you will find a better selection.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Walmart as well as other huge retail chains clear out inventory depending on what earnings quarter they are in.

More or less they clear out inventory, then restock. its that time of year.

AS far as Supertech, the 5w20 is on sale right now for $8.98 5qt container.
Super Tech Rollback, Click

Lets face it, no one beats Walmart prices as far as everyday pricing unless you want to fool around with rebates ect and SuperTech oil is just as good as any oil on the market, meaning any properly designed engine will last longer then the vehicle with Supertech.

Amazon Prime is hit-and-miss majority of the time is the same price as Walmart and free shipping don't have to deal with the crowds at Wally World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back