2015 Yaris oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 2015 Yaris 1.33 1NZ-FE engine with 5000 miles.

What would be the best oil/grade for this engine?
I already have 4 qts of M1 0W20 EP.
I have a couple more options, like Castrol Edge 0W30, Castrol Edge 5W30, M1 ESP 5W30.

So what you think?
I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Good cars. A co worker also does courier work and has gotten over 300k out of his first 2.
What does the manual say about what to use. I would think in Michigan any brand name 0/20w, 5/20w or 0/30w would work well.

Yes, good engine.

Is the factory warranty still in effect; if so, using the recommended 5w-30 might be the way to go

I will be using Amsoil ASL (5w-30) with 1 year intervals when I dump the dealer installed Subaru oil.

Not many miles for 3-4 year old car.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I've been using mostly Mobil 1 0W-20 for nearly all the miles on mine. No issues and no excess consumption.

Just noticed that you really have a lot of miles on your rides. Way to go!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Yes, good engine.

Is the factory warranty still in effect; if so, using the recommended 5w-30 might be the way to go

I will be using Amsoil ASL (5w-30) with 1 year intervals when I dump the dealer installed Subaru oil.

Not many miles for 3-4 year old car.

It was locked in a garage and not driven, maybe 1000-1500 miles a year and never been serviced and that means no warranty so I’m free.

So I got the OEM filter and tomorrow is day D.

Last edited:
Has Toyota ever made an engine that was picky about what oil it needed to use?

After this oil change (M1 EP 0W20/OEM filter) I can hear a lotta ticking noise on idle. The low pressure light goes off immediately. Is this something I should worry about it?

P.S. this was her first oil change (8200 km).

isnt 0w20 a bit thin? my sw desert snowbird yaris 1.5 requires 5w or 10w30 (im away at the moment and can’t check owner’s manual). im doing 18 month/3k mile oil changes on mine, will do the best change that i can find at a shop for $25. my last change was kendall semi syn 10w30.

The Yaris 1.5L engine is a lot harder on oils than other Toyota engines. It revs harder, and earlier versions of the engine often 'burn out the rings' and start consuming oil.

Tercels were the worst; Echo's were a bit better; Yaris better still. I'd use 5W-30 oil; and keep the changes short.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The Yaris 1.5L engine is a lot harder on oils than other Toyota engines. It revs harder, and earlier versions of the engine often 'burn out the rings' and start consuming oil.

Tercels were the worst; Echo's were a bit better; Yaris better still. I'd use 5W-30 oil; and keep the changes short.

If you say so but I've found it to be quite benign, obviously much more so than my 1MZ-FE. Mine has been running fine on 0W-20 for well over 150,000 miles now and hardly any more consumption than when it was new. And trust me, I rev it out a lot considering it's usually necessary to do so.

I have an Echo hatch (1st gen Yaris in Europe) with this same engine. I have always used 5W30 as it is what's recommended in the manual.

For the first few years, it was dino, then for a few years is was a semi synthetic, and the last two years full synth (Mobil1 HM) but always 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back