How close to Service Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took a few years of recovery but I finally gave up 3k oil changes. Now I am working on getting more mileage out of my brakes. The service limit on my MDX is 1.6 mm. Akebono says I could go down to 1mm. I am changing front pads this morning which average 3.5mm. I can not ever see myself going below that. In my mind I just don’t see the point of trying to squeeze out the last 1-2mm of pad life. How close do you guys get to your service limit before replacing pads?

30% or so is my limit, BMW says this is the minimum amount of pad life to provide braking consistent with what OE performance for heat dissipation. If I happen to see something with the brakes that looks questionable, I just replace it. Gives me a chance to upgrade to a better pad or rotor.

I'll usually replace pads as a matter of convenience.
The newer Accord will get new pads at both ends sometime before next winter whether it needs it or not, for example.
I'll wait for a good deal on pads and then do the deed.
OTOH, there is no particular virtue in changing brake pads early. The term "service limit" means exactly that and as long as metal to metal contact is avoided it's all good.

I replace pads when either:

- less than 1mm compound left, or

- metal-to-metal contact beginning because disc is used too much

In the end, I usually go through 2 entire pads set on the Koleos (2 tons, AT, door to door) before replacing discs (70000km), where as on the Kangoo or Yaris (lightweight, MT) I’ll go through 3 or even pads set before changing discs. The discs on Yaris are from factory, barely used.

Of course, I use only organic.

With our 3500 service vans we run them to the limit, which is generally 1-3 mm of pad. But we will only change rotors when required, and that is rare.

BTW, our oem pads always go well over 100k miles!

I just did a brake job on a 2010 Malibu that used up over 100% of the brake pad. The caliper piston was doing the braking. It's pretty amazing what people drive.

I look at the pads every time I rotate tires. I don't measure, I quit doing that when I quit my job as a mechanic at a Honda dealer.
My VW and my wifes Audi have a sensor built into one of the front brake pads that lights up a warning in the instrument cluster when your pads are worn.
Smart Germans!

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I just did a brake job on a 2010 Malibu that used up over 100% of the brake pad. The caliper piston was doing the braking. It's pretty amazing what people drive.

Amazing that the piston didn't get slightly out of alignment, or even fell off...

Originally Posted By: artbuc
It took a few years of recovery but I finally gave up 3k oil changes. Now I am working on getting more mileage out of my brakes. The service limit on my MDX is 1.6 mm. Akebono says I could go down to 1mm. I am changing front pads this morning which average 3.5mm. I can not ever see myself going below that. In my mind I just don’t see the point of trying to squeeze out the last 1-2mm of pad life. How close do you guys get to your service limit before replacing pads?

I don't see what the big deal is to use up the pad life. You have over 2 mm, thats probably a years worth of driving easily. But then again, if you have the time or the weather is good thats a great time to get it done too.

Yeah, I look at it this way. I will replace the pads one time on this vehicle and makes little diff if I do it now or next year. At my age I am starting to do things early just in case I may not be able to do them later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Superflan
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Amazing that the piston didn't get slightly out of alignment, or even fell off...

Oh, the piston fell out when I removed the caliper. The car got got a whole new caliper.

I'm surprised we have had any theories on Extend Brake Changes. (EBC)
35.gif

In theory, I wait until the squeak and then change them right away! In reality, I've waiting a little too long beyond then until the grinding stage so then it's time to do rotors too!

Originally Posted By: Superflan
I replace pads when either:

- less than 1mm compound left, or
- metal-to-metal contact beginning

Same here.

I run 'em till they are GONE and not before.

when the brake warning light comes on
27.gif

I always replace the rotors when replacing the pads. Coated rotors are awesome because it stops or delays the rust (non-coated rotors rust overnight), and so they I can actually take them off the next time I need to (a rusty hat will freeze itself to the wheel and to the hub). EBC Plain, Centric Premium, and Wagner E-coated rotors are the best.

For pads, I like Akebono or EBC Ultimax/Blackstuff

Flush out the fluid with some speed bleeders
smile.gif

My vehicles don't have a warning light for low pad--my prior VW did, but IIRC it was only on the front pads. Guess which axle wore through pads faster?

I'd think 1mm of pad left would reject heat better--less material to go through, before the heat hits the backing plate. but maybe that is the point: heat into the backing plate is that much closer to the piston, and thus to the fluid. So thicker might be better, when it comes to heat.

I try to eyeball at tire rotation time (every 5k). Once down to 2-3mm I get the parts I need and have them on the shelf, and replace when I feel like it (probably next rotation).

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
when the brake warning light comes on
27.gif

I always replace the rotors when replacing the pads. Coated rotors are awesome because it stops or delays the rust (non-coated rotors rust overnight), and so they I can actually take them off the next time I need to (a rusty hat will freeze itself to the wheel and to the hub). EBC Plain, Centric Premium, and Wagner E-coated rotors are the best.

For pads, I like Akebono or EBC Ultimax/Blackstuff

Flush out the fluid with some speed bleeders
smile.gif

+1 on the speed bleeders. Every bleeder screw should be a speed bleeder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back